In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.358 Ultra Mag Towsley wildcat

offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
I hate it when I read (in the new American Rifleman) about a great-sounding cartridge I can't have, especially when it has the Towsley name on it, which happens to be MY last name. How great to own such a rifle with my own name attached.

Anyway, Bryce Towsley (no relation) necked up the .300 RUM case to .358, added a premium 225-gr. Barnes bullet, and created a load with 5,384 ft-lbs of muzzle energy that, get this:

- Outperforms all other cartridges of its own caliber
- Shoots flatter than either the .300 WM (180gr) or the 7mm Rem Mag (160gr), dropping less than either at 200 yards.
- Has 1,000 ft-lbs more muzzle energy than the .375 H&H 300-gr. factory load
- Has more energy than the .416 Rem Mag 400-gr. factory load at any range including the muzzle.

The .358 UMT is a wildcat and hence Towsley built the rifle he shoots it in, combining the talents of Dave Manson Reamers, Bansner's Rifles, Krieger's Barrels, and Timney Manufacturing to get his gun assembled and machined. Meaning, of course that I can't walk in anywhere and buy either the rifle or the ammo. Drat!

The 2nd Amendment is about security, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member.

Edited by - offeror on 04/20/2002 17:48:42

Comments

• Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds impressive as heck. One thing about wildcats is they sometimes get commercialized. Think positive.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    7mm ==
    Believe me, I am. I haven't thought this positive since Peter Pan asked us to think good thoughts to save Tinker Bell.

-- Life NRA Member
    "If dishonorable men shoot unarmed men with army guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and not by general deprivation of constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    358/378RG

Sierra GameKing 2850 225 358" 3.580" 129.4 Reloder 22 118.0 CCI 250 3310 5475 1.9"
    Sierra GameKing 2850 225 358" 3.580" 129.4 IMR 7828 119.0 CCI 250 3330 5551 2.0"

This one beats it with 225 grain bullets. Made off the 378 WBY case.

AlleninAlaska aglore@gci.net

How would you rather die, 10,000 foot pounds of muzzle energy in the BUTT or a sharp knife in the HEART?

Edited by - aglore on 04/20/2002 18:10:08
  • Options
    edited November -1
    aglore--
    I won't argue the point, but unless your round drops LESS than 6" at 200 yards while achieving over 1,000 ft-lbs more energy than the .375 H&H, AND while maintaining more energy than the .416 at any distance -- and is simply made by slightly up-sizing the neck of .300 brass, I'd wait until your range stats are all in. This one's optimum powder load was confirmed by an objective 3rd party lab and while Towsley WAS able to mix an even higher pressure load for this wildcat he found that this load was more accurate than the even hotter version. He found this the ideal charge for 100-yd. tack driving as well as being reasonably comfortable to fire -- which is saying something. The article is in this month's Rifleman. Take a look.

-- Life NRA Member
    "If dishonorable men shoot unarmed men with army guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and not by general deprivation of constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878