In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun Rights Group Asks BATF to Investigate Gun Purchase by Anti-Gunner Sarah Brady

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
Gun Rights Group Asks BATF to Investigate Gun Purchase by Anti-Gunner Sarah Brady March 23, 2002 - Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms For Immediate Release The Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms (CCRKBA) is requesting that the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms investigate whether a gun purchase, acknowledged by gun control advocate Sarah Brady in her newly-released autobiography, violated state and federal gun laws. Brady describes the purchase of a .30-06-caliber rifle with telescopic sight -- a gun that might easily be described as a "sniper rifle" by gun control groups such as the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and the Violence Policy Center -- in her book, "A Good Fight." Brady writes that she bought the rifle for her son, but notes that it was her background, not the son's, that was checked to complete the purchase at an unidentified Delaware gun shop. "From all appearances," said CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb, "Sarah Brady exploited one of those so-called loopholes in the Brady Law, for which she arduously campaigned, to get a gun for her son. This gun was allegedly a gift, but for someone who has demanded background checks for every other American before they can take possession of a firearm, we think the public deserves to know why she evidently felt it was okay to skirt that requirement for her own son." Added CCRKBA Executive Director Joe Waldron: "In the interest of equal justice for all, this case begs investigation. Mrs. Brady's admission, in her own autobiography, underscores the elitist attitude that seems to be universally shared by gun control extremists across the country. They place themselves above or beyond the requirements of a law for which they have demanded compliance from everyone else. This is the ultimate hypocrisy." According to a report in the New York Daily News, Brady's purchase of the rifle for her son, Scott, "could be illegal under (Delaware) state law if Brady did not also say who she was buying the gun for and submit his 'name, rank an serial number' for a full check." There is no indication in the book that Scott's name was submitted for a check, or that Brady even told the gun shop operator that she was buying the rifle for someone else. "There must be a Form 4473 on file at the gun shop, and with the BATF," Gottlieb noted, "and all we are asking is that the agency check to see whether it was properly filled out. There could have been a serious violation of state and federal law, and Sarah Brady is subject to those laws, just like the millions of other Americans whose firearm civil rights she has steadfastly worked to destroy." With more than 650,000 members and supporters nationwide, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is one of the nation's premier gun rights organizations. As a non-profit organization, the Citizens Committee is dedicated to preserving firearms freedoms through active lobbying of elected officials and facilitating grass-roots organization of gun rights activists in local communities throughout the United States. Contact: Alan Gottlieb of the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, 425-454-4911 http://www.friendsofliberty.com/news/032302.htm

Comments

• michael minarikmichael minarik Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder if ATF will go after the Dealer if Sara tells him she told the dealer....it wasn't for her but her son...catch 22. Would this then be considered a 'straw purchase' or whatever they call it to nail someone...Then on top of the that does not form 4473 ask if 'you are the purchaser or the owner..." something like that to...
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Another reason I don't belong to the NRA. Where were they on this issue. They should be leading the charge on this. But heck no, they are to busy sending out fliers to beg for more money from the very same people that they claim to be helping.
    AlleninAlaska
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aha! I'd say that as far as Sarah Brady is concerned, this is the "smoking gun!" Baahahahahahaa!Sorry, a lapse of decorum. I have two equally important reactions to Ms. Brady's gun purchase. It SHOULD be political suicide for her gun control cause, and, "Welcome to our little club, glad to have you join the ranks of good American gun owners everywhere." Funny if she turned out to be a reluctant poster girl for the advisability of bearing arms for protection.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How many times does this need to be explained? Brady did not commit a "Straw Purchase". It is perfectly legal to buy a firearm for someone else if it's intended as a gift and the person you're giving the firearm to is not a known prohibited possessor.The only exception would be if she lived in a state that prohibited private party transfers without a 4473, which isn't the case here.What she did was perfectly legal! I hate her as much as the next Patriot, but we're making major fools out of ourselves by hashing this up every other day.
    Stand And Be Counted
    edited November -1
    I ignored the straw purchase question. It's the fact that she bought a young person a gun as a gift that I find remarkable.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Evil,Do you have the section(s) of firearms law which relates to this "gift exception" in purchasing?Regarding Sarah, when did this happen? How old was her son? Was he in the same State? Does he still own the rifle? And: Has anybody read the book? Why was she relating this story? Was she trying to show she's not "anti-gun"?
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We might be talking about DELAWARE law, and not fedeal law with respect to purchasing a gun for a family member. From what I understand(though I could be wrong), if you are purchasing for a family member, they are also required to be checked.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll dig it up for you after work tonight, comp.
    Stand And Be Counted
    edited November -1
    I'm quite sure she related the story for the same reason politicians sometimes blow the whistle on themselves -- it sounds better if it comes from you in an off-handed pose than if investigative reporters discover it and plaster it on the cover of their papers. She knew the media would find out eventually.