In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tales of the Gun -- "Guns from Afghan makers" tonight

offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
Tonight's documentary episode of Tales of the Gun on the History Channel (9pm my time) will cover the interesting topic of gun makers in Afghanistan (and probably some in Pakistan). Apparently they can make just about anything that's popular in the region and all you need is the cash to pick one up. It appears that a lot of hand work is done and that at least some of the products are of comparable quality to the originals. I look forward to learning more tonight. Some day, someone may be able to import Afghan Krinkovs and I want to know if they're going to blow up (!) ;*D
"The 2nd Amendment is about security, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."

Comments

• Options
    4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    I WATCHED A SIMILAR SHOW IF NOT THE SAME ONE ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO. THEY MADE EXACT COPIES OF ALL TYPES OF WEAPONS,THEY WOULD GO OUT IN THE STREET AND TEST FIRE THEM,SHOWED ONE SMALL BOY`S HEAD WHERE IT WAS CLAIMED THAT A BULLET FELL FROM THE SKY AND HIT HIM IN THE HEAD(THEIR STORY NOT MINE). ALL THE MACHINERY,ETC. WAS BY-GONE DAYS TO SAY THE LEAST. BARRELS WERE HARDENED IN HOT COALS,BUT EVERYTHING THEY MADE WORKED AND DID WHAT IT WAS DESIGNED TO DO.
  • Options
    FitzFitz Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya, I saw it. It was certainly interesting but it could have been a lot better. I think it was on MSNBC a few weeks ago that they showed a few minute clip of an old gunsmith in Afganistan making an AK47 from scrap metal that boys were bringing him. He actually did the casting in the sand and then spent hours filing. Amazing! Thanks for the heads-up on the show too!Fitz
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe we should charter a bus for a shopping trip like the elderly are doing for Canadian prescriptions.... The Afghans could just about renew their economy by selling semi-auto guns to Americans if it weren't for the ban on imports (!). ;*D