In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sellers give us a break!!!

dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
I'm sorry but I just have to vent. I've been checking out 410s on the auction for the last couple of months and it burns my butt that we have to wade through all those unneccessary ads for those crappy 45/410 derringers.I don't have a problem with someone selling thru the auction but there are at least 4 different guys selling these things and one seller alone had 17 auctions for the same item in 1 day. On any given day there seem to be at least 30 listings for these items. Gross overkill considering I have never seen more than one or two bids in the whole time I've scanned this section. I know I can just skip over these but it is a waste of good space. I'm not blaming all the sellers of this item. Some do have some common sense and only have one or two listings. Pleeeeease stop doing this.

Comments

• Options
    sjc1sjc1 Member Posts: 130
    edited November -1
    Don't you just love those sellers that list the same item 10, 20 or 30 different times! I know that they have a right to do this, just like I have a right never to purchase anything from a seller that does this type of listing.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We need separate new and used merchandise listings. They're poisoning the well with retail dealers. The flea market garbage is especially irritating.
  • Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What really gets my goat is having to scroll through page and page of flags, coffee mugs, zippo lighters, etc., to find a gun. Greed takes over every time, if you are willing to pay GunBroker their percentage they are willing to list anything you have to auction, gun related or not.
    B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze[This message has been edited by airborne (edited 03-26-2002).]
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I agree, in that there are a handfull of people and/or dealers that take advantage of and abuse the free advertizing. I think I am like many others who come to this auction to look for used or unique items. I rarely buy new merchandise because I can get the same stuff locally for the same price minus the shipping costs. If you get too detailed in your search descriptions you seem to miss things and minimum delail leaves you searching through this type of junk. A new or used breakout for each category would be nice if it could be accomplished.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Something else that bothers me. Have you noticed that the dealers will instead of using they "BUY" feature they list in the ad to call or email them directly for purchase in effect cheating GB out of the sellers fee. I like GB and the service provided and it burns me to see these dealers taking advantage of them by asking you to skip the auction and buy direct. Sure the sellers fee isnt alot but say if 500 sellers a day cheat them like that how much mioney will they lose and how long until the site would have to close. I also get tired of the "spam" ads that clog up the site, I must have found 50 ads from the same guy selling contender barrels in a search for .22 pistols. Instead of running a dutch auction he lists his entire inventory taking 2 pages of space. As a rule I try not to buy from greedy dealers and try to buy from private sellers. This is an auction site, not Cabellas.
  • Options
    sjc1sjc1 Member Posts: 130
    edited November -1
    A lot that has been stated above is correct....these sellers with the numerous listings of the same item are ruining the Gun Broker site. They take advantage of the site because they are, in many cases, to cheap to have a sight for their own business. They use the Gun Broker site as their business site.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can use the minus sign (-) to make your search leave out items you don't want to see. If you say "410 -derringer -handgun -pistol", you can forego viewing listings with those words, which should help.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although the Internet was originally envisioned as a free information superhighway, it has been clear for a long time that in America, the capitalists are not only going to make use of it, they are in most cases taking over. Once upon a time, auction sites were for collectors and private individuals. Then it became obvious that people could turn their frequent participation into small businesses. Then the "real" businesses joined the fray. Now, whole warehouse inventories may wind up on sale at one time. Software has even been written to make this easier to do. I think it's much too late now to hope for a return to the good old days. I think the very best thing for auction sites to do is to continue to refine their site search engines so that customers can find precisely what they are looking for and leave out what they are NOT looking for. I can usually find something unique about those mass market sites' auctions that I can use to eliminate them all from my searches. Learn how to use your minus sign!
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."