In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

uzi parts kit?

leelcky223leelcky223 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
what is the best quality uzi parts kit to buy for an action arms uzi preban receiver?and is the vector arms parkerized uzi parts any good?thanks in advance for any responses

Comments

• cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will be happy with IMI or Vectorcpermd
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    While we're on the subject, will somebody please tell me whether assembly requires welding, or can anyone with a small talent for gun assembly handle this job? I have been staying away from parts kits so far because I don't know what I'd be getting into in terms of expertise required to finish the job. Thanks a lot, in advance.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about security, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the kind of weapon your assembling. Unfortunately most guns aren't snap together like they should be. They usually requiring fitting, pressing, drilling, etc.Munkey
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    You say "most" parts kits.Are there any that can be assembled with household tools?
    edited November -1
    That's what I thought. It would depend on the gun. Well, looking at the latest ads in Gun List and Shotgun News, there seem to be a lot of parts kits for Uzis and Krinkovs right now, complete except for receiver and perhaps trunnion. I don't know if a Krinkov receiver in the 7.62x39 caliber might be the same as the AK-47 but they do look similar. I understand that each person buying a kit may assemble one gun for himself (not an automatic, of course, unless you are entitled). So if I buy an Uzi or a Krinkov kit, what are my chances? I realize no one may have an answer, just thought I might get lucky.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about security, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AR is the easiest to put together.The barrel of the Uzi kits and the ramp are designed to NOT work in a SA receiver but that can be fixed by a lathe and Dremel.The Bolt is more of a problem due to the blocks in the reciver to keep the FA bolt from working.The bolt can be milled or the blocks knocked out(more illegal as screwing an intern in the Oval Office).And Yes it takes some welding and jigs http://www.uzigalil.com/ cpermd
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the comment AND the nice link.
  • leelcky223leelcky223 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    if u have a preban uzi receiver is it legal to buy a parts kit and put it together or do u have to have permission from the atf?
    edited November -1
    The short answer is that if you have a semi-auto receiver and a semi-auto parts kit you can, if you are able, put it together and have yourself a gun, assuming you are entitled to own a gun. You will have acquired the receiver from someone with an FFL. The other half of the answer is that all NFA regulations apply if you are contemplating assembling a machine gun. In the first place, as mentioned above, a SMG parts kit will only fit (without machining work) a SMG receiver. You can't even own full auto parts without meeting the NFA requirements. If you can legally build a machine gun, congratulations. If you try to modify a semi-auto weapon to fire full auto, chances are you may melt some of the parts, including the receiver, at your first range session anyway. Clear as mud? Good, that's about where I'm at on this. It is no doubt true that AR15's are more or less made to be built up from components, whereas many of these other guns need machining work or special tools or even welding to go together properly. I'm certainly no expert. I just wish I had a buddy who was a crack gun builder. There is a fellow in the area who builds competition ARs, but he expresses no interest in assembling other people's guns. In the first place, if the ATF decides he's "manufacturing" he'd be in deep doodoo. So it looks like this has to be a do-it-yourself deal. If you're wondering why I don't mind everyone knowing how little experience I have in gun assembly, I was always taught that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask, and that it is the measure of a man's self confidence when he can say "I don't know" and maybe learn something. Let's just say I wish I knew how to build myself a semi-auto Krinkov or mini-Uzi from parts. My money would go a lot further. I'm not even wanting to get into full-auto pieces, just a nice semi-auto or two or three, thanks.