In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Forum is down almost as much as it's up

FitzFitz Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
Gunbroker,I love GB and have a suggestion:How about adding a 50 cent charge to sales and either building a new dedicated server for the forum, or finding a new host?Fitz

Comments

• gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you will note it is often about the same time it goes down & when it comes back on. I suspect it is because there are too many people trying to get on at the same time. What might help would be to eliminate one of the almost unused forums (politics) & have a gereral discussion I & II.If the topics spread out evenly between the two the problem may end. It might also be possible for the moderator to move topics from one to the other to keep them about even.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gruntled,That sounds like a winning idea, or another thought is to archive threads on one of the other servers, or just delete them ... how often do you go looking for a thread that is over 30 days old? ... Heck, maybe once a year I will look for something that is over 10 days old ...I love the fourms, but its gotten so that I dont even try to get on between 4-10pm ... it just irritates me
    Sometimes the most obvious, IS the most elusive!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They can't help it they don't have a clue what their doing.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Fitz,I made some of the same suggestions to admin a few weeks ago. They say it has nothing to do with how old or how many post are there, only with the number of folks logged on, or trying to log on at one time. Actual incomming traffic. It does seem that they could add a small server to take the load of the lesser boards pretty cheaply.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now, now.... I agree peak times are a practical problem for any board that doesn't have unlimited funds for more server space. I also wonder whether some of this wouldn't be better off in live chat rooms. Wouldn't that free up posting server space? AFter all, I only need to be on their server when I upload a post, not while I'm writing -- unless I'm trying to chat...
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Me, I am just happy to have a free place to hangout with happy, contented gunnuts. Long as it is not down so long I suffer withdrawals!
  • FitzFitz Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LIKTOSHOOT,How's about adding 50 cents onto anything you sell and calling it a tiny charge to buyers? C'mmon, what's the big deal? GB could easily do away with the general, gun rights, and politics topics all together, get rid of a lot of headaches, and still not see a decrease in sales. I'm just appreciative of the forum and the hassles they deal with to have it running and thought starting a thread so everyone else could let them know they're greatful as well was a good idea. Where else are they gonna get the funds to improve the forum? Why should they take it out of their profits?Fitz
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also think maybe they should adopt the "round-up" program for the NRA (i.e., give everyone the chance to round up to the nearest dollar and donate the change to the NRA). That would give some more people the incentive to post here rather than eBay on accessories, holsters and stuff. The thing is, last time the servers were down, admin admitted they didn't know why, or why they came back up. I think until they figure it out they'd better not throw money at the problem. I've never known any organization who promised 100% uptime to keep that promise -- anyone -- with any amount of money -- on any system.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about security, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."