In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What about "For trade" items?

PupPup Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
I've noticed in the Want Ads section there's no "For Trade" listings allowed. What criteria is to be followed if one of us has an item they'd like to trade for something? I'm just wondering why this is frowned upon. You'd think that a bunch of like-minded guys and gals (ok, Judge Dredd may be a little out there ) would be able to trade amongst themselves? Does it have anything to do with lost revenue for Gunbroker? Understand I'm not trying to be critical of how things work here. Hell I've even got this as my homepage on my comp. I'm just curious as to the reasoning.....
Politicians, like diapers, should be changed often and for the same reason.

Comments

• adminadmin Member, Administrator Posts: 1,079 admin
    edited November -1
    If it was a revenue thing there would not be any Want Ads either. The reason trades were prohibited was that there were a number of trades that went bad. The site's management got tired of hearing complaints about trades in spite of the publicly posted disclaimers so they put a stop to it. Trades had a dramatically higher incident of complaints compared to the auction sales and thus became a liability.
  • PupPup Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    admin.....That's sad to hear about bad trades, especially among fellow gun owners. At least now I know the reasoning behind the decision. Not that I would ever trade a Jennings to some poor unsuspecting trusting type
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gosh, Pup, wow! A real genuine Jennings? I'll trade this Colt 1911 all tricked out by Wilson as a combat pistol, Oh, dinners ready, never mind...
  • PupPup Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Colt that's been tricked out by Wilson? Doesn't sound too bad, but I'm waiting for the day both Wilson and Les Baer start churning out their versions of the Ruger P series
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It doesn't sound like admin is dead set against any trading occuring via the boards, just that they don't support it officially, having had bad experiences among members. I don't think a trade occasionally is a bad idea, really, but now that I think about it, I don't have anything I want to give up... Besides, images should be posted for trades too. That would take some of the risk out of it. Just thinking aloud. I'll duck now, admin.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about security, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."