In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The price of the new .17 rimfire.......

robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
Its been asked before what someone thought a person should be willing to pay for one of the new .17 rimfires. Apparently there is no limit. In my book anyone who pays the price, or is willing to pay the price I'm showing here, well, no offense, but those people are just plain stupid. This gun is good for a few things, but from what I've read, target shooting isnt exactly its forte, out of the box, so why someone would pay this much for a stinking rimfire I have no idea. My ground hogs arent going to be dispatched with a gun that costs this much, and the round isnt meant for hunting something you intend on eating after its been hit, so just what are some people thinking? Look at this: Ruger 77/17 17 Rimfire Magnum Rifle 3 $470.00 03/23 20:55 This is a current auction at GB, cant believe it! You can buy a Ruger in any centerfire caliber in the MK 77II for less than this! Good God!!Oh boy, heres an even better one, but this is just a dealer on crack, no pun intended, no one has bid on this one:Ruger M77/17 - $499.00 03/28 19:50
SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC[This message has been edited by robsguns (edited 03-23-2002).]

Comments

• Options
    Mr. LoboMr. Lobo Member Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ryan, I agree and think that I'll stick with 22, 223, and the good old 06. That is until somebody convinces me different. You gotta keep an open mind especially when it comes to new guns.Jim
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no use for one either Rob, but what do you care what someone else pays? There seems to be a lot of variation around the country on prices, but beyond that, everyone says what someone will pay is what it is worth.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This just keeps getting better, this one is off of the other auction site, but then they always have outrageous starting prices, geez, I cant believe this:Ruger 77/17 17 HMR. Factory New 0 $565.00 8:10 AM PST Saturday, Mar 23, 2002
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He Dog, I dont really CARE what other people pay. I just find it incredible what some people WILL pay, and what some people will ASK for a price, ESPECIALLY for a gun of this type. Simply amazing! But more than anything, I just posted this cause the question was asked before about price, and it would be useful for that person that asked, and I cant remember who it was that asked, or I'd have attached this to their post.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rob you are correct that those prices are up into MK II centerfire territory, but remember how excited some folks were when the .17HRF was announced? I guess if they gots the $$ more power to them. I also have not rushed out to buy a short magnum in any caliber, but rifles from the 50's and 60's will get me thinking, "I gotta have it!" I guess it is good we don't all have the same taste, else we would all be trying to marry the same woman.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun magazines have done a great job in promoting the gun and caliber to those with the gun collecting disease. This is a clear example of there being no objective basis to gun values.As a collector/handloader/shooter/plinker, expensive rimfire ammo turns me off for a gun intended to be a shooter rather than a collectible.Were the new caliber a shortened .17 Hornet, I could be very interested.
  • Options
    travelortravelor Member Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This one is fairly new to me...sounds like .17 is smaller than .22, is that right? why in the world would any one want something so small? Or is this another ploy by the gov. to limmit caliber size also?
    keep lots of extra uppers for your ar..you can change often enough to keep the thing from over heating...what ever caliber fits the moment..~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No Travelor it is a marketing ploy by manufacturers to get in your pocket. Some think it is the best thing since sliced bread and indoor plumbing, and see a use for it in varmiting and maybe squirrel hunting. There are also many that just gotta jump on any new fad and be the first...at .17 of an inch it is indeed smaller than a .22. It is loaded in a .22WMR case necked down.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He Dog, Cant argue with you on those statements, well said.Travellor, I think the best thing about this round is that the actual round itself is so cute you cant help yourself but buy a box, just to look at, looks like a minature centerfire round that belongs on a keychain.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't buy a $500 .17 Hornady any more than I would pay Steyr's price for a Scout. Some concepts may be good, but somebody's always gotta make a reasonably priced gun to make it work in the market. I'm still waiting.I wonder what kind of a handgun round the .17 will make. Surely there are people working on that too.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Difference is, one's a Steyr, and the other's a Ruger I'd probably cough up more than is reasonable for an H&K or Steyr.But for Ruger or Remington? Not on your life!As for the practical effectiveness of the .17 HMR round, I'm just about to introduce my own Magnum Rimfire round.I call it the Mouseslayer 2000. It's a .50BMG necked down to accept a .10 sized bullet.And, like every other caliber than no one can think up a really good use for, this one's for varminting!$5k a pop! No pushing in line!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    offeror, I think someone else has said the same about the handgun idea. My question is, what would you use the handgun for? I cant think of much to use that for either, can you? The case being as it is, it would not be a fun proposition for keeping costs down in the manufacutring of a revolver cylinder, which is what I like, revolvers. Wouldnt make much sense as an auto either. Maybe a Contender/Encore? Something with a long barrel like that would probably be ok, but again, I dont like single shots too much. Kind of gets you thinking. Cant use a revolver chambered for it as a dual cylinder gun either. Well anyway.....I dont have to worry about it at these prices.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bullzeye, that has been tried. Don't be reinventing a broken wheel. The problems with that cartridge are multiple. First, on ignition not only the bullet leaves the cartridge, but also the portion of the case to just behind the neck, thus they can't be reloaded. Second, both the case and the bullet vaporize from friction withing 70 feet of the muzzle (68.375 feet to be exact, give or take .183 feet). It is however, great fun to shoot at night!
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Offerer: Check out the North American Arms website. The topic has been brought up & someone claims that Sandy (Owner of NAA)has told them he will offer it in the tiny handgun. They are also very serious about apropriatory cartridge for the Guardian using a .32 APC necked down to .25.
  • Options
    skipjackoneskipjackone Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    travelor - The .17 is a screamer and will do a number on small game. It is a very explosive little round and a hoot to shoot. I want one ASAP.
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Sold a Ruger,and a Marlin out of the shop,the Ruger went for $486.The Marlin was heavy barreled,and other than that ,it looked like a cheep Walmart birch stocked 22 mag,somethin` like $335.Bet it outshoots the Ruger. Whatever the ~case~,if a .22-Mag won`t do the job,them Bees will. HEY!!Nobody said anything about bees!! .218[This message has been edited by 218Beekeep (edited 03-23-2002).]
  • Options
    the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    robsguns- i thought about your post for awhile today while shopping for reception hall(note to self: don't ever get involved in wedding plans)...your own description of the novelty of the round is an admission of part of the fascination. if all people ever bought was needed or "better done" with something else, well, we'd be in another country...probably cooking with timbers ripped from the temples of long ago. that neccessarily wouldn't be bad, and though your criticism is a bit marxist(i don't mention that to piss you off, or to label you anything fyi)i just think your observations are strangely grounded in obliviousness to the presence of so much junk for sale- most of it far less useful than the hornady 17 mag....in summation: if we could stop the stupid from running capitalism- we'd go broke....
  • Options
    martzkj@msn.commartzkj@msn.com Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was at the gun shop the other day. He had a Marlin blued heavy barrel for $205.00. So this showed me what the markup is just to be first on the block to have one. Buyer beware a good dealer will charge a fair price, others will try to cash in on the craze.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    loveable rat, I think you may have missed my key point, but thats ok. What was really getting me to post on this .17 again was that the price that people are paying for a gun in a rimfire caliber, whether or not it is useful for anything, seems to be incredibly high. It is due to its novelty and low supply, I'm sure. The price, for a gun thats not all that accurate out of the box, that is not very useful, that is whats striking me as odd. I have nothing against people buying junk, as you noted, of any type, just strikes me as extremely foolish to be paying what they are for this particular gun. As far as me being interested in the round, I bought one box for collecting purposes, and it really is cute. I hope to see a return on my money some day when the round goes to the obsolete category. Capitalism being what it is and all, I dont imagine the gun manufacturers will be carrying this dead horse long. We Shall See....
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Had a guy call me today that had gotten a Marlin 17V.(blue and hardwood stock) He wanted to know if I knew where he could get ammo. I don't think if I owned a gunshop I'd sell a gun if I didn't have ammo to go with it!! I do know where some ammo is (besides Robs that he plays with) but I haven't seen a gun yet. We still have 24 on order at the local shop no word yet on shipping date. My price on the 17V is to be under 200.00. 17VS right at 300.00 and the Ruger 415-420.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    loveable rat, I thought a bit on what you said about Marxist. I want to make something clear to all who read posts by me. I dont know half of what you are talking about when you start talking about political ideas of men who are long dead. I also dont care about half of the political crap that is spoke of in the posts. I dont know what Marxist is, and I dont care. I also dont know anything about Stalin, Lenin, spelling?, or any other political stuff of foreign countries. I know just enough of politics in the U.S. to be ticked off 95% of the time, and thats enough for me. I also dont know what the exact definition of capitalism is, its probably not all that darn important, and I dont care what it is so save time and dont post it. I know guns, I know deer, and I dont care about much else, besides the Corps. I just wanted to clear that up, because a lot of you talk over my head, not that I care, but I just want you to know that I am ignorant about such topics, and therefore wont get drawn into talks on the subject of foreign politics, or domestic politics, unless it has to do with gun control, then I know what you are talking about.I dont mind your comments loveable rat, cause I'm not exactly sure if it was a slam or not, if it was a slam, thats ok, cause my skin is not thin, and I dont mind. I like hearing everyones opinions, I just dont understand some of them, especially our squabbling twosome, but thats another story. You guys have a great night, I gotta work tomorrow, clearing some more woods with my friend.
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Personally,I think Marlin should have ignored this fu##ed up waste of time,and made this heavy barreled rifle a .218 Bee,and put some walnut on it..218P.S.If I owned the shop where I work,(part time),I would not even bother with this gun at $200.
  • Options
    SpotterSpotter Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    *clap..clap..clap* Well said! I have almost the same viewpoint, must be from the endless formations the Corps is fond of. Talk to me about guns, coyote calling, and muley hunting and I'll talk you into the dawn. Very wellsaid, nice to see a similar viewpoint.USMC 86-94
  • Options
    the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    robsguns- no slam here, or wanting squabble...sorry bout the marxist "dialectic" or whatever, remember i pre-apologized sorta for using that term. thought you might enjoy a bit of dialogue so's to keep you from living in the land of the dinosaurs completely . besides, its funner if nobody knows what they're talking about- its also easier to come to a consensus...wear chaps if you're chaisawing(i've almost dug into my leg the 2 times i cleared brush)...of course, i was dumb f#ck then, and come to think about it, riling up an old marine prollys not so smart either....
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Loveable Rat;"its funner if nobody knows what they're talking about" (your words). You must be Laughing your * off.
    Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    loveable rat, I've been getting pretty lucky about the chainsaw being forgiving. It was the 80lb. roll of barbwire that landed on top of me two weeks ago that was rather uncomfortable. Thanks for the advise though. I'll be leaving soon to go do the cutting, just waiting for the wife to go to work, then off I go too, got the kids in tow you know.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ironic if this round induced me to buy another Marlin rifle. I think they have the right idea: make a decent gun for the round, keep the price reasonable, and if it takes off you can offer the walnut later. Somebody said accuracy is going to be key and I agree with that 100%. What good is a varmint round at 2550 fps if it won't hit a dime at longer distances? I have no idea whether this round will have "explosive" characteristics or just make a neat hole in small animals. I guess a trip the the great outdoors will be required, preferably with a scoped rifle and a few jugs 'o water for fun. I'd like to cut through some of the speculation. It's also not yet clear (to me) how far downrange this little pill will maintain a decent velocity. I suppose the sharp point will help keep it going in a straight line faster for some distance, but I wonder what's left between 100 and 300 yards?
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."