In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Most fun job you ever had?

loan sharkloan shark Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
Doing this mainly to see how I will be rated since this is my first post on the new forum.

Mine was working part time for 5 years at a major department store as a store detective picking up shoplifters. I think I did it for so long just because I was having so much fun looking at the expressions on perps faces when I told them they were busted.

I have hours of funny stories I still enjoy telling.

Comments

• Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine was flying armed recce in 'nam. Got to shoot those bastards that were trying to kill my Marine buddies.

PC=BS
  • Options
    austin247austin247 Member Posts: 375
    edited November -1
    There's nothing I'd rather do than what I do now...deputy sheriff in the great state of Texas. Every day is a new thrill.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most fun I ever had was at the most frustrating job I ever had...working MPI in the Army. It was a blast. I've never consumed so much coffee in my life but I've never done anything so enjoyable or rewarding and I've never worked with a greater group of people.

Here's to the 10th Mountain Division...the soldier's first choice.

Climb To Glory

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one I have now, managing an Emergency Operations Center.

Second, dragging 36 feet of weeder across the dry farms outside Ephrata, Washington as a teenager. Had my girl staying with the owner's daughter. Her folks had sent her there for the summer to get her away from me. Her old man tried to kill me with an irrigatin' shovel when he later found out. YeeHhaw.

Clouder..
  • Options
    Jungle JimJungle Jim Member Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After the Army; the most fun job I had (and still have) is being a writer. I wrote songs in Nashville for 20 years, now I write our Special Forces Association newsletter and webpages. SF friends from all over the world send me jokes, and I post some of them on this board! (Operational Security is very tight with the Afghanistan Opera happenings, and I can't discuss progress, so jokes have to do).

Jim

"De Oppresso Liber"
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    ANGLICO and that all I have to say about that.
  • Options
    jastrjastr Member Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys have better jobs than me... I dont like mine... oh well!

lets all be responsible! shoot a criminal!
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been doing a good one for 30 years, but the best I ever had was drinking beer at $18/hr in 1971! Unfortunatly I was a research subject, and the job only lasted half an hour. Probably just as well...
  • Options
    Brth729Brth729 Member Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most fun job I ever had was installing swimming pools and hot-tubs.
    Nothing like the feel of the water after frying your @$$ off all day under a Texas summer sun.

***It is not so much what a man possesses, but what possesses the man which determines his quality of life.***
  • Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My present job, Director of National Accounts. Main responsibility is dealing with DOD accounts. As I tell all that I work with, three things need to be present in respect to what you do for your vocation.

1. Enjoy what you do.
    2. Make a fair financial reward.
    3. Do it in an ethical manner.

So let's all have fun, make money, in an ethical manner.

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze
  • Options
    PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was in charge of new employee testing and evaluation at the Mustang Ranch.

The Almighty Himself Entrusted the Future of All Living Creatures to a Wooden Boat.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -"Audemus jura nostra defendere"
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, Birdman, didn't that wear ya out?

PC=BS
  • Options
    FUBARFUBAR Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one I have now! I'm an "Advisor"!

Guns! Guns! Guns!
  • Options
    PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nah BadBoy, I keeps in shape!

The Almighty Himself Entrusted the Future of All Living Creatures to a Wooden Boat.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -"Audemus jura nostra defendere"
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Operating a parachute center and demo team for 18 years. Although the fun started to fade at the end with the new "instant wannabee" generation. It was good for what ailed you while it lasted, yeh man.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Navy Beachmaster....paid to lay around on the beach, rescue drowning marines and soldiers, surf when there were no active operations, sea kayak when there were no active operations and shoot thousands and thousands of rounds of ammunition per week with no cost or accountability involved. I never thought it could be any better than that. Beach
  • Options
    TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    Best for me was being an Employer.
  • Options
    boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It had to be working at a fireworks tent near the interstate. We rarely saw the boss, rarely were sober and had all the free goodies to blow up any which way we wanted. The sheriff often showed up thinking it was gunfire (sometimes it was, hehehe).

Them ducks is wary.
  • Options
    niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Working at a health club in DC. I was 18, I weighed 170, benched 300, and flirted with every young lady 18-30 years old that came in. I had a million ladies trying to get my attention, and just as many fathers trying to gut me. I was one cocky SOB and had a ego bigger than Texas. It was great. For 5 years, every young lady in my little black book came from that job.... Including the missus.

NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • Options
    ysacresysacres Member Posts: 294 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whiteclouder u's you aint efraid of nuttin..

Joke here in Eastern WA about the city of Ephrata

A hot barrel, is a warm fuzzy feeling.
  • Options
    223believer223believer Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was a lifeguard for three summers. What a great job. I got tan, swam countless laps, took naps in the pump room, and ate more 7-11 chili-cheese dogs than you could shake a stick at. Oh, and there were the ladies too. Oh, there were the ladies. . .
  • Options
    bikrprchrbikrprchr Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For me it is a toss up. Really enjoyed my former job as a boat mechanic, and I really enjoy my present job supervising a transportation management center for the State. Both of these enabled me to do what I really love. Helping out small churches when the Pastor needs someone to fill in and give him a little time off once in a while.

1 Cross + 3 Nails= 4given
  • Options
    Bushy ARBushy AR Member Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been a helicopter mechanic since the Army was nice enough to teach me the job.But I think the most fun job I had was driving new motorhomes from the manufacturers to the dealers up and down the west coast.Had long hair then and got pulled over several times by LEO's who wondered why someone who looked like me was driving something like that.

Only in America a homeless war veteran slept in a cardboard box while a draft dodger slept in the white house...NEVER AGAIN!!
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Its a cops life for me. Started in the Army as an MP and never looked back. Went civilian and the rest is history. Best time was when I was working Narc's. My day consisted of going to the gym and working out (Steroid case), shower, change and go work the bars. I actually got paid to work out, drink beer and flirt w/girls. There was that accasional arrest thing....

AHHH the good old days. Now i'm a desk weenie except for the one day a week I go play "Road Dog"

"We become what we habitually do. If we act rightly, we become upright men. If we habitually act wrongly, or weakly, we become weak and corrupt" - *ARISTOTLE*

**Like Grandad used to say--"It'll feel better when it quits hurtin"
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I worked with Ed Neumeier in the 80s when he was a writer during and after his success with RoboCop. We hung out with guys like Miguel Ferrer and took meetings with guys like the keyboard player of the Doors and Paul Verhoeven. We also were developing a gangster comedy (very politically incorrect), so a "gun wrangler" came in a brought us a bag-load of guns to show off. He even had a fake machine gun on a tripod that was propane operated and ripped everybody's eardrums one day down in a Beverly Hills parking garage. But hey, Pelican's got me beat.

The 2nd Amendment is about security, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member.