In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

is this legal??

rangerange Member Posts: 554 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
Could i legally put a folding stock on a 25 year old ruger 1022? many thanks to all who take the time to answer

Comments

• Options
    TheguncounterkidTheguncounterkid Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Correct me if im wrong, but i dont belive the 10/22 was ever considered an assault rifle, there for the ban never affected them. They were never manufactered with flash hiders or folding stocks ect so you cannot "grandfather" them. Any modification done prior to the ban is acceptable, but by the letter of the law i dont belive you can convert them into an assault rifle after the fact.
    Anyone else know more, please shead some light on the subject.
  • Options
    Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was some discussion at the time of the law whether .22s should be exempted, but they weren't. If you take a 10/22 that was not an "assault weapon" before 1994 and turn it into one with two or more of the "forbidden" features, you have violated the letter of the law. Just for completeness, the five forbidden features are (1) folding or telescoping stock, (2) pistol grip, (3) flash suppressor or grooves for one, (4) bayonet lugs, and (5) grenade launcher. In some states, even one of these features is a no-no.
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No president in his right mind, Rep or Dem, will allow the ban to fade into history. It's politically shooting himself in both feet!
  • Options
    ADfreeADfree Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GreenLantern, it is shooting himself in the foot if he DOESN'T let it fade. I encourage all of you not to vote for him if he renews it. Send him a letter saying that you won't, even if you're bluffing. None of the people who like "gun control" are going to vote for him anyway.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You realize of course that 2004 is the year of the next presidential election. There's a lot riding on keeping Bush, Ashcroft, etc., strong if we hope to see that law sunset. Frankly, the threat of domestic terror could do it, which would be remarkable because it makes so much ... common sense. If the Bush team doesn't allow it to go away, it may well be due to pressure in an election year.

The 2nd Amendment is about security, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member.