In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

More Guns = More Deaths

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
Be sure to write these fools and ask them if they did any research on whether this is true or not at http://www.ctnow.com/about/hc-contactus.story

More Guns = More Deaths
April 10, 2002

The gun lobby long has promoted the idea that if more people owned guns, there would be less crime.

Whether or not that is true, the price paid by children has been steep, according to researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health.

Their study covered the decade between 1988 and 1997, when 6,817 children ages 5 to 14 died from gunshot wounds. The study compared deaths among youths in the five states with the highest level of gun ownership (Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas and West Virginia) with deaths in the five states with the lowest rate of gun ownership (Hawaii, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Rhode Island and Delaware).

Children in the states where gun ownership is most prevalent were 16 times as likely to die in accidental shootings, seven times more likely to die from a suicide using a gun and three times more likely to be a victim of a homicide.

Gun-related deaths in the United States far exceed those in any other industrial nation. Before an American reaches the age of 15, he or she is 12 times more likely to die of gunshot wounds than a child elsewhere in the industrial world, the Harvard study found.

Those figures won't impress advocates of unfettered gun ownership. They believe that the way to safety is to stockpile more weapons.

However, as the Harvard researchers found, when more guns are in homes, more of them will be fired and more children will die from homicide, suicide and accidents. http://www.ctnow.com/news/opinion/editorials/hc-gundeaths.artapr10.story

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878

Comments

• Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Oh, Harvard? Well, if they said it, it must be true.

Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Growing Population = More deaths....

Everyone dies, the more people you have, the more that die. Its that simple.

Visit me http://www.geocities.com/gunsmithlee
  • Options
    Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a good joke about Harvard, to get me one closer to another star. Two guys were in the men's room in a bar in Boston, getting rid of the beer they had rented. Guy #1 finishes, zips up, and heads for the sink. Guy #2 finishes, zips up, and heads for the door. Guy #1 says to him, "Harvard men wash their hands after they urinate." Guy #2 shoots back as he heads out the door, "BU men don't pee on their hands when they take a leak."
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since the type of reaction to offense taken has changed in recent years from a fight after school to a knifing to gun shots it would probably be smarter of the Harvard snobs to do a complete survey in chronological order (50's60's70's80'90's). My guess is as the fights & knifings fall the gun battles rise. Collate this with no parents at home to enforce family values & what do you get?
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, in the jungle, real men pee on their hands, when necessary, to disinfect. They also pee on their guns for lubrication.

The more correct postulation is 'more guns = more gun deaths.'

There is no way to prove that certain deaths would not occur in the absence of guns, and it is likely that most of these deaths would still occur by other means. It may be that more guns = fewer would-be victim deaths, and more perp deaths. Exchanging good guy deaths for bad guy deaths. Gang deaths will occur by one means or another at a fairly stable rate, too.

I also insist that a small number of deaths by accident, foolishness or misadventure is a small price to pay for freedom. The idea that one death is too many would see the end of cars, swimming pools, electricity, and all kinds of things we need to live in a civilized America. I do tend to believe in the old saw, "An armed society is a polite society." And if you forget to be polite, you'll be reminded, sooner or later.

The 2nd Amendment is about security, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member.

Edited by - offeror on 04/12/2002 18:12:18