In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

watch advice

spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
edited October 2003 in General Discussion
have been surfing around looking for a calendar style wristwatch & ran across jacques cantani brand ( argon or rigoletto)on ebay....while i am certainly not rolex level,neither does timex excite me,,,so would appreciate any advice on this brand or other moderately priced one ......especially like the day, month, etc in letter or numerical form (easily visible) over dial indicators..... wrist size 7_1/2 so do not want a hubcap.......respectfully

Comments

• Options
    axlerfanaxlerfan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry not real familiar with those, but I love my Ebel watches...beautiful looking, very well crafted Swiss made watches, but unless you get into the quartz movements they arent "moderatly priced"...also a big fan of the older Bulova Accutrons from the 60's-these are very accurate watches and some of them did come in month/day movements. The Spaceview models are very cool. They arent as flashy as some of todays watches, but they are very tasteful, not "hubcaps" and the gold ones (all of mine are gold) just look fantastic.
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you haven't heard of it, stay away from it. There has been a recent rash of boutique, European-sounding wrist watches flooding the market, typically with Chinese automatic or cheaper Swiss (not Eta) quartz movements. What you are buying is a Continental look and name, built on coolie labor. Stay away from all of them. I don't know what your budget allows, but Zeno Basel makes a fine automatic, moonphase chrono for about $1200; Xemex also makes a fine day-date automatic chrono for about the same price. On the lower end, Invicta makes an ostentatious but interesting piece called the Lupah (Swiss quartz). I would avoid watches like Ebel, Tag, Movado, Corum, etc., because you are paying for name recognition of what is basically hum-drum bourbon in a holiday bottle.
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a movado, best looking watches for the money, IMHO.

www.movado.com

Well, whats your budget though.. most of them run around $700.

www.ammoday.com
    bulletline.gif
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I agree with DWS, but would like to add that, if you're a pawn shopper, you CAN find deals on genuine Rolex and Omega watches. I persoonally like Omegas.

Also, axlerfan's thoughts about Bulova Accutrons are on the money. Great watches, good prices, and they are unique.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • Options
    The firearms consultantThe firearms consultant Member Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Seiko that is on my wrist now that I bought for 117.50 in 1977.

I might not always tell you the truth, but I will never lie to you!
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that the most common watches of good reputation and reasonable price (around $100) are those by Seiko, and Citizen.

A lot of the other formerly good names were bought out by junk watch makers. If I were going to buy an extra $20 watch for fashion/utility purposes off the $20 table at Meijers, I'd be willing to buy a Benrus or an Elgin. The watchbands on the cheap ones are so poorly made they'll cut your wrist if you're not careful. That's one way to tell what to avoid, I guess.

I got a "real" Benrus wind-up watch with an alarm in it for a high school graduation present back in the sixties that STILL works like the day I got it and never needs a battery. I finally got a Seiko, though, just for variety...

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

lifepatch.giffortbutton2.gif