In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Computer do you have?

WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
What brand of computer do you have be as specfic as you want

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE

Comments

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I custom build computers as part of what I do for a living so I guess you could say mine are all Frankensteins...

My main one is actually a entry-level server utilizing a server tower case with redundant hot-swappable 300 watt power supplies, dual AMD 1800+ MP processors, 1 gb Corsair ECC DDR ram (single chip), GeForce 3 64 mb video card, dual 200 gb 8mb cache Maxtor hard drives in a RAID-0 configuration, a Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card, a Plextor CDRW, Toshiba DVD, Zip100 (for school use), dual NIC's.

My wife's computer is the same speed but uses a single XP processor instead of the MP's, it has 1.5gb of PNY SDRAM, 80 gig Maxtor drive, GeForce 2 video card, SBLive 5.1 audio and a single NIC.

My server (which will be replaced ASAP with my computer listed above) is an AMD K6-2 500 with 384 mb ram with 7 (yes 7) hard drives from 160 gig down and a single CD drive. It has a 32 mb video card in it and dual NIC's.
    This poor computer works its tail off, I have it doing typically server tasks such as: webserver, ftp server, antivirus server, disk keeper server, printserver, file server, undelete server, DHCP server, MS update server, etc. (I know I'm missing some).

All this is behind my 8 port Linksys router and Sprint broadband wireless internet connection. 2 of the computers (mine and the server) share a KVM since the server doesn't get used locally for months on end.

I hope to discontinue using my server and make mine the server and build another one.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Emachines. Don't ever buy one. Works fine, but everything is proprietary and limited on upgrades. Feels like a slightly improved Packard Bell.

Should have built my own, like I did the one before this one.

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Bi-platform here.
  • rcdisrcdis Member Posts: 994 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's a computer?

rcdis
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I have an IBM, Classic has a Compaq

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion

Hudson.gif
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    I have an HP now, but, am in the market for an IBM 370-138 if I can get a good deal somewhere.
  • old06old06 Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a sony vaio and a hp

psalms 16
  • ruger 10 22ruger 10 22 Member Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dell

"The militia may be here destroyed by that method which has been practiced in other parts of the world before; that is, by rendering them useless - by disarming them."
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Home built by me.
    Win 98 SE
    AMD Athlon 550
    M7MKE VIA MB
    128 MB SDRAM
    20MB WD HD
    Trident 4D PCI Sound
    Lucent 56K Modem
    SiS Video
    KDS 17" Flat Screen.

" Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession.
    I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first".
    (Ronald Reagan)
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,063 ******
    edited November -1
    Dell Inspiron 4100 laptop.

Love it.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Homebuilt ASUS board with a Pentium 3 600mhz processor, 40 meg hard drive, cd writer and an HP Pavillion laptop with Linksis wireless router.
    Two years ago I fried an entire (homebuilt)system down to and including the keyboard. At that point I decided not to chase the latest technology
    but put together a modest setup. Two weeks ago I sprang for a Microtek 18" flat screen at Wallyworld.
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gateway EV700 and never had any trouble with the system or the customer service.
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like old06,I have a Sony Vaio & an H.P.

[^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^]

standard.jpg

It's my cat's world. I'm just here to open cans.

We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic.

ATF,Eagle Guns
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HP desktop, Compaq Desktop, Compaq Laptop, Gateway Laptop.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    Gateway, no problems at all. Good customer service.

Larry
  • LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HP

FUNCTION BEFORE STYLE
  • jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dell Inspiron 8200 Laptop, I think its got dual horspowers or something. They said it would be fast.[:D]
    JW

fc6cb6ef.gif
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    compaq tower ibm monitor

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Homebuilt in a tall tower AMD K6-2 with 2 - 40 G HDs... 1 w/XP Pro, and the other w/98SE
    Old ComPac Pentium II
    Toshiba laptop Pentium III

Bunch of others, back to a TRS-80 Model I, and a Timex.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a Dell[;)]

use_deer.jpg
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    I have a DELL Dimension Desktop for home, and a DELL Inspiron 8500 for Grad School work and some "Medal of Honor" Gaming when on the road [;)]

NSDQ!

"Many free countries have lost their liberty, and ours may lose hers; but if she shall, be it my proudest plume, not that I was the last to desert; but that I never deserted her." -President Abraham Lincoln
  • Special OperationsSpecial Operations Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just upgraded to a really KEWL IBM PC XT, complete with an 8086 processor, dual 5-1/4 disk drives, no hard drive, but a brand spankin' new monochrome monitor! Here's the BEST part...it only cost me $4 grand!! What a DEAL, huh?[8D]

I guess I should edit this and say I was just kidding.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dell Inspiron Lap top 30 GB HD 256 MB RAM,Gateway Desk Top 60GB HD 500 MB RAM.Both are extremely good computers,very fast.We bought them new 2yrs ago.I keep a very small amount of info stored on mine for class's Im certified to teach.But most of it all is sensitive and I keep it on floppy Disk in my safe.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • Jackass420Jackass420 Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine is much like Bambihunters except his is much better. I also build my own computers: AMD 1800+, Geforce 2 Mx440 64mb video card. Patriot 512mb DDR RAM, Western Digital 120Gb HD.
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    ChiefTec Bigtower - window in the side, blue cold-light, extra fans for the harddrives with a 400Watt PSU.
    ABit mainboard, capable of RAID 1, 0 and 10 function.
    AMD Athlon XP 1700+ processor
    256Mb 168pin Kingston Value-RAM
    128Mb GeForce 3 Ti-200 Gold Eddition
    Creative 128Bit Sound Blaster soundcard
    standard 56K modem (only friggin' connection available here, ADSL to come soom though, still in the testphase)

two IBM 120GXP harddrives, capacity 60Gb, set to run RAID-0 with a total capacity 120Gb.
    This works nicely, two harddrives set to operate as one - with about twice the transferrate and faster searchtime as they both transfer at the same time.
    Takes about 20-22 secs and It's totally booted from cold-start.

one Western Digital 6.4Gb harddrive (purely as backup.)

HP cd-burner, nothing fancy and just an old model.
    HP Photosmart 7550 Colour-printer
    Dias-scanner, for scanning 35mm negatives

Philips 105s monitor.. 15".. I'd be wanting a 17" very soon.

Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was all set to order a Dell. My credit was spotty after some layoff things, so I arranged to put the $2000 cash in my bank account and used a Dell website feature called electronic check to have them debit my account. The dopes responded that they did a credit check and declined the order. So there sat the money in my checking account and they wouldn't debit it.

At that point I went down the street and bought a Sony Vaio DV Station with a 19" monitor. Never regretted it from a quality standpoint, although I wish they had enclosed a Windows CD instead of these Sony "re-format your HD" specials. Every time I have a problem they expect me to start from scratch.

I also have an old Toshiba laptop and a couple older Macs. The best brands in my opinion are Dell, Gateway, Sony and HP -- but there are mail order brands that get very high marks in Computer Shopper magazine -- I seem to recall that "ABS" used to get the highest marks of all, at one time. It's worth buying a copy of Computer Shopper to see what's up. The only depressing part is how much more you can get for your money by mail order than by buying in any local store. The local inventory is always 6 months behind the curve -- but they charge like their stuff was cutting edge. Hardly.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif