In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Taurus PT 145

Special OperationsSpecial Operations Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Looking for a decent CCW weapon that can take some abuse for a decent price. Have been looking at the Taurus PT 145, but I've never shot one. Currently have a Ruger P944 (.40) that shoots incredibly (and of course the superblackie .44mag).

Anyone have any input on the Taurus? I like it because it's DAO which is good, but the short barrel seems like a challenge. The Glock P33 is too expensive (wife would make me cozy bunk in garage if purchased)!

Comments

• Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    I thought the milleniums were OK, although, personally I could never get used to their "feel" so I got rid of mine and went with a single-action Star Firestar in .45acp which I enjoyed more.

aliens.jpg
  • Options
    dustyholdustyhol Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello,

I picked up a PT145 a couple of weeks ago. I went to the gun show looking for a SIG P239 but found that I didn't like the way that it felt in my hand. I tried a bunch of different pistols but really liked the way the Taurus felt. I got it for $369 and also picked up a couple of extra mags ($25 each). When I took it too the range I was very impressed with the accuracy and grouping once I got used to the trigger. According to my trigger pull gauge the pull weight is 7.75 pounds. It isn't a bad trigger, it just has a very long trigger pull. Until I got used to that I was pulling the shots low and left. Once I adjusted to the trigger the gun was dead on. (I was shooting at 7, 10 and 15 meters) I shot a variety of different ball loads and also tested the +p defense loads that I purchased. No failures of any sort. In all I ran about 300 rounds through the gun during my first range session with it.

I will say that I did not go to the gun show with the intention of buying a Taurus. I have never owned one and didn't know much about them. I did know that the Millenium's have a good reputation and have been fairly well reviewed. I really liked the way the gun felt in my hand, well balanced and the very good pointability. A couple of features really impressed me. First, the fact that a relatively small pistol can carry 10 rounds of 45 ACP and still be concealable. Second, that the gun has a manual safety. Now I know that reliance on mechanical devices is foolhardy and not recommended but I like this feature. I am a 1911 shooter and the action of this safety is very similar to that of a 1911. Very comfortable and smooth. I added a set of Trijicon night sights for $95 and ordered a Milt Sparks holster for concealed carry (only 10 more weeks to wait!) I got all of this for just under $500. Not a bad deal!

"Practice is the best of all instructors."

Publilius Syrus
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dusty,

Thanks for the info! Great stuff. I've never owned a Taurus either. I shot a buddy of mine's Taurus 9mm (don't remember model), and it shot fine...but it's a 9, and that's like a .22 plus a longer barrel so it's not really a comparison. I haven't been able to find anyone with a Millenium that I could borrow for a round at the range, thus the question.

I'm just looking for something reasonably priced that has a smaller 'show' than my Ruger (which I LOVE, but it's a little big unless you have it in a fanny pack / holster which is a bit slow).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nothing wrong with a Millenium....but they do take a bit of getting used to. It's like switching from an automatic transmission to a manual transmission after you've driven an automatic for the last 10 years.

aliens.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dusty,

BTW, I had the exact same reaction to the Sig also! I know my instructors have always said don't worry about the feel (like with the Glock) just get used to shooting properly, but I still believe there is some latitude there.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ridowns,

In what respect do you mean they take some 'getting used to'?

Just the short barrel, or more?
  • Options
    zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have one and love it! Very accurate, very fun, I have about 1000 rounds through mine and not one misfire or jam. As stated above trigger pull is very long but you will get use to it quick. This is also my CCW gun.

Jason
    Proud NRA member
    "The constitutions of most of our states assert that all power is inherent in the people; that...it is there right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson 1824
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Special Operations
    Ridowns,

In what respect do you mean they take some 'getting used to'?

Just the short barrel, or more?

For me it was the compactness of the gun, the short barrel, the recoil and report. It shot fine, but the guns super light weight combined with a very short barrel and small size just made it unpleasant to shoot as the recoil was a bit jarring compared to my 1911's. The trigger wasn't bad on the taurus but it was long.

This is just my opinion of the gun, take it for what it's worth. I think it would make a decent backup gun but for me that's all it'd ever be, a backup. It's definately not anything I could pull off a good quick double-tap with.

aliens.jpg
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This gun is often mentioned as people's favorite Taurus product nowadays. I had one and enjoyed it for its size and concealability. It is, except for the trigger guard, no bigger in dimension than a Glock 27 or 33. Some of my G27 holsters even fit it when they weren't too tight in the trigger guard. I called it my .45 snubbie. It is light, around 27 oz., and the trigger is much like the Glock's New York trigger at 8-1/2 lbs. But overall, it's a nice sized big bore carry package. It's not a target piece, but neither is a snubbie .44 Special revolver. But if you want a gun the size of the G27 in .45 ACP, you can't get it from Glock (quite). And the Taurus MIllenium holds 10 rounds in its standard mags, and needs no grip extenders because its grip fills the hand. A lot to like.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpg NRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif