In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Building WEB sites

TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I need to have a WEB site for my Home Inspection business. It does not have to be very fancy. Just informitive. I dont know anything about WEB sites. How do I find some one to put one togather and how much does it cost.
TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.

Comments

• RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tools:

You can purchase your own "Domain Name" and have it hosted for about $15 per month. This gives you e-mail addresses at your Domain name such as "Inspector@HomeInspection.com and also a large storage area for your web site itself.

You can get professionally done web sites for under $200 and then you can "edit" them to suit yourself...... If you want more info, E-Mail Me and I will answer your questions......... Good Luck!

I Miss The World I Grew Up In!
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    You can build a free one here using site builder.
    No HTML knowledge required just point and click.

http://www.tripod.lycos.com/

Steel is for guns Tupperware is for leftovers
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've built quite a few sites, everything from a single page contact site to ones containing several hundred pages (but I've avoided doing online buying). I too would be glad to help, I don't really enjoy writing websites and have passed the opportunity to do it for a living. If you're wanting just the basic several page site that contains a contact page, a page describing who you are and what you do, maybe even a price list sheet, and a few others I could be talked into doing it for ya. [;)]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    Bambihunter How much talking do I have to do?
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,363 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that if you have a business,, you should have your very own domain name. Make sure you DO NOT forget to pay the fees. Then,, forever,, you have a "place" on the internet with your own email etc. My site looks like "another disk drive" on my computer,, it is essentially transparent when I use an HTML package,, which is not necessary,, just like having a gun,,, I like it.....

Not having a domain is similar to NOT having a fax. IMHO [:D]

Not necessary to spend much money. Plus,, look at all the write offs !!!. Handy if you need to post pictures like this.

SlowDancinGirl.gif

When only the best will do.
    edited November -1
    Droptop Nice pic. Ahh now what did you say?
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Send me an idea of what you want/need and a write-up of kinda what you'd like it to say and I'll write ya up something (even though it won't likely take much time, it'll take a few weeks to get it done probably). Also, ya might include links to sites that you'd like it modeled after so I have a loose idea as to what you're after.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • kaliforniankalifornian Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also suggest you get a domain, a cheap web host and MS Front Page, especially if you aren't interested in getting really fancy and already know how to use MS Word.

I used MS Frontpage to create and maintain my web sites:

www.lestdarknessfall.com
    ww.ynot4free.com

The ynot4free.com site I made to help my friends and family learn how to get free computer related stuff of the net. It has a "Website Creation" section that might help you out. Links to free graphics for your site, free tips and tools for submitting your site to search engines, etc.
    You should be able to get a domain for $10-$15/yr, and hosting for as little as $3/mo.

If you use Front Page, be sure to choose a web host that support MS Frontpage server extentions.

If you want to go super simple and super cheap, you could make a web page with MS Word (Save as .html), use Netscape's free html editor, or use a free site builder and free web host, like some of the ones I list on the web site.

I'm currently hosted with these people:
    http://www.1-cheap-domain-name-registration-and-free-domain-name-hosting.com/.
    I have a more deluxe plan for multiple web sites, but they offer hosting plans for $30/yr. The only catch is they are somewhat of a self service outfit, and aren't the best at helping beginners get started.

Once you get your site up, be sure to get some people to link to it, be sure to include title and keywords metatags and then submit it to search engines so people can find it.

Good luck!

shooter_ruler.gif
    http://ynot4free.com
  • kaliforniankalifornian Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oops!
    One important thing:

When you buy your domain name, you will be asked for personal information, such as your name, address, email address, etc. This stuff is required by law or regulations of some sort, and gets published on the internet. If someone does a "whois lookup" on your domain, they will see your contact info. (To do a whois lookup, go to: http://www.networksolutions.com/en_US/whois/index.jhtml and type in a domain name and see what it spits out.)

Thus, within a few days of you buying your domain, the email address you provide will be flooded with spam.

I suggest you do the following:
    Create a new free email address that you plan to check infrequently and provide that in your contact info. If you are worried about privacy, consider providing a PO Box, work address or somewhere other than your home address as your contact address.

Note that if you provide completely false info when you register your domain, you may have a difficult time getting the registrar to change settings for you, renew your registration when it expires, etc. I went the false route for my wife's site (she's a belly dancer and I didn't want someone finding our home and surprising her) and it took me a couple of weeks to regain control of the site when she wanted to transfer it to a different registrar as our name didn't match the contact info we provided.

Hopefully this info will save you a hassle.

shooter_ruler.gif
    http://ynot4free.com
  • shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    Looks like ya got a lotta offers for help, but I'll jump in and offer too.

What you want doesn't sound too difficult or time consuming.

I agree that you need your own domain name, not just a spot on your isp server. The search engines will find your site and then people can find you.

Here are two sites that I built for some friends. If the format looks OK to you I can whip one up in a week or so, starting next week, I'm tied up this week.

http://www.hotrodmechanic.net
    http://www.sickasso.com
    edited November -1
    Bambihunter / Shooter4. I like that sickasso site[;)][:D] The other one is hard to read with that yello and green writing.
    How about I send you both the information. And see what you come up with. Greeker has a web site that is real nice there is a link in his posts. You would probly do better for ideas if you just did a search for home inspectors on the net and checked there sites.
    Thanks
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

• offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have built sites too, but I'm not a "closer" when it comes to the money for building sites for others, so I wind up doing a lot of work for very little money. That has mostly cured me of site building, but I'm always happy to help somebody who asks questions. I had a very lovely site going for an antique dealer, shooting new pictures regularly of gold and silver and all, but he died and the site was dumped. So I don't even have it to show any more.

Bambi will take care of you on this -- you can buy a domain name at places like www.stargateinc.com and host them there or elsewhere for as little as a few bucks a month. While individual site space is often free, the same host may charge for business site space.

Bambi will know how to submit your domain name to the half-dozen or so largest search engines, and put some keywords called "metatags" in your page headers to attract more searches. It's easier to get help from an experienced web builder than do a business site yourself no matter how simple it may be. People who build sites -- but forget the keywords and search engine submission -- wonder why they get no hits -- it's because the search engines don't search the "whole web." They search their own databases.... This often isn't understood. Even some ad agencies don't "get" this.

That means f you have a large expensive site but never submitted it to Google or Hotbot, NOBODY will see it unless you personally send them the URL on your business card or letterhead. So having someone who knows how to get the search engine part of the job done is critical, even if inexpensive to do.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif