In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AWB Renewal Vote THIS WEEK - Call your Senators Tu

WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
S.659, the bill that will help eliminate frivolous lawsuits against the firearms industry, will be taken up in the Senate this week, possibly as soon as tomorrow. It is widely reported that Sen. Feinstein will attempt to amend the bill with a renewal of the 1994 "Assault Weapons" Ban.

The anti-gun lobby is staging a "phone-in" tomorrow (Tuesday, February 24th) in opposition to S.659. Though the bill already has enough co-sponsors (54) to ensure passage, a filibuster could still be attempted, which is presumably what the anti-gun side is hoping for.

To ensure our elected officials know they will lose more votes than they gain by supporting a renewal of the AWB, we all need to do our part by calling our Senators and voicing our strong opposition to the Feinstein AWB renewal amendment that will be offered for S.659... not only should this ban not be renewed, it should not be allowed to cloud the issue of whether S.659, an unrelated bill, should be passed.

The anti-gun folks are asking their people to call between the following hours:

9:00 AM - 1:00 PM Eastern Standard Time
8:00 AM - 12:00 PM Central Standard Time
7:00 AM - 11:00 AM Mountain Standard Time
6:00 AM - 10:00 AM Pacific Standard Time

Call 202-224-3121 and ask for one of your Senators' offices (you'll have to call back to reach the other one).

Even if you've already called your Senators in the past few weeks, CALL AGAIN tomorrow. Be polite, but firm in your opposition to Feinstein's AWB renewal amendment. Please spread the word to everyone you know.

Thank you, everyone, for taking an active role in ensuring this useless ban does indeed sunset this September.

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE

Comments

• Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for posting this.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    thanks for posting this. I printed it and am going to call and pass your post around and encourage others to call also.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Thanks! I sent e-mails and letters last week, but I'll call them to.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    Well I have continued in my efforts at badgering my senators and representatives. Although I express doubt as to whether my letters will actrually be read. I am willing to bet that my representative might actually read his mail, but the senators... I doubt they give a darn.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a perfect example of the BS the politicians pull. They want to attach a REALLY BAD bill, as a rider, to a REALLY GOOD bill. Many people want the good bill to pass, so in a "compromise" they pass both. I would rather see the good one defeated at this time, if it means "AWB II" goes through too. There will be NO sunset clause in AWB II.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    What I want to know is: why the hell do we as citizens allow this adding riders to bills to continue!!?!?!/ What good has ever come of it?

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    hey should have a 1-800 number to call. I am almost positve every state should have a 1-800 number. [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I actually hope it goes through so we can watch GW sign it. You know he would. And the GB apologists will come out of the woodwork excusing him yet again for another dose of liberalism.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Thank I'm emailing those crooks again, won't be able to call tomorrow with work and all.

I've got plenty of those guns just in case they do ban them. Wish I had more time and money to pick up a few more though[:(!]

kabalogoshadowed.gif
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Can i call hillary collect

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's worse, the drafts I've seen of AWB II are more restrictive about a lot more guns than the last one. This is about as low as they get, folks. I agree the bill has to go down if the "amendment" for a new AWB is attached. The NRA/ILA web site has contact info and a form for e-mailing your reps too.

Just be sure you tell them you support the frivolous lawsuit bill so long as it does NOT have a new AWB attached to it as an "amendment." Personally, I think such an attempt to amend it would be defeated, but you never know. See these links for contact info:

http://nraila.org
    http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • scutascuta Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone interested in trading Senators?? I'm "lucky" enough to have Feinstein and Boxer...
    I'm sure they'll take my comments to heart

NOT !!!!!! [:(!]

If you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.
  • Patrick OdlePatrick Odle Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I called I asked for valid proof that awb 1
    had did anything to avert criminals. no reply as yet.
    Don't really expect one. Not considered to be a fair
    question.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well...my Senators are "Sheets" Byrd and "Dimwit" Rockefeller.
    Byrd has a dropdown on his e-mail site that forces you to select a pre-assigned subject. I guess that's so his staff can look at the subject and pitch it without having to waste their time reading it.
    I sent e-mails to both of them but I'm sure it's just spittin' in the wind. The dumasses here in "Westbygod" just keep sending those two worthless POS's back, term after term. At least when I was in Virginia, we changed 'em around every so often.

Mudge the pessimist

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Find your Representitives Here! Very Easy.
    http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Message sent, to both Nelson and Hagel...For all the good it may do.

Here's what I said:

Senator Hagel:

It has come to my attention that certain self-centered anti-Second-Amendment senators (Diane Feinstein of California in particular) are seeking to attach a renewed, non-sunsetting and even more restrictive "Assault Weapon Ban" as a "rider" onto S659, a bill which is intended to prevent frivolous lawsuits against firearms manufacturers.

As a strong believer in the Second Amendment, I find such political shenanigans by self-serving anti-firearm elitists like Feinstein to be totally unacceptable---disgusting, in fact. I therefore ask you to do all that you can to insure that no such rider is allowed attachment to S659, and---as a service to all your pro-Second-Amendment constituents---please inform Feinstein and her "allies" that the firearm owners of this country DO NOT appreciate their puerile tactics or their clear intent to create an unarmed citizenry, howsoever incremental their attempts at implementation.

Thank you for your time and attention regarding this most serious matter.
    edited November -1
    Well, both my Senators and my Representative heard from me by phone this morning; last night I sent them all e-mails plus a copy to the White House. I told them I would consider an amendment to include an AWB on S.659 to be a "poison pill" for S.659. I told them I support S.659 but would happily see it fail if a gun-control AWB rider were attached. I told them I want to see the AWB sunset, and stay that way.

Now, my Indiana reps may be mostly pro-gun, but they STILL may need some advice on how to vote if S.659 come at them with an AWB renewal attached. I don't consider that a "healthy compromise." I consider that trying to slip one by the American People. So I'm willing to sacrifice S.659 for now rather than see a new AWB pushed through with it. And I told them they can defeat S.659 if they have to, good though it may be on its own, with my blessing. You guys should also do something along these lines. IMHO. And do it before 1 pm Eastern. They may have to wrap it up at the office and go vote early this afternoon sometime.

C'mon guys. Time's a-wastin'... and the anti-gun loonies are lighting up the phones, you can bet.

http://nraila.org
    http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

• cpilericpileri Member Posts: 447 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Busy right now: 1228 EST. Must be cloggin up the lines.
    I just hope its us, not them!
    C-

edited November -1
    I've never actually called a rep before, just sent letters. What do you guys actually say? "Hello, I'm so and so and this is my point of view"?

GL

Sometimes, when someone is talking to me, my mind drifts off and I
    start thinking about guns I'd like to own.
  • scutascuta Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's exactly what you do GreenLantern

Just got off the phone with both of my Senators offices, they didn't seem to pleased to hear what I had to say, on the bright side, Senator Boxers aid at said he would pass on my view...I know its a long shot, but its more than I got from Feinsteins office, they said thank you and hung up

If you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Wagion: I phoned the KC office of my two senators Pat Roberts and Sam Brownback. Brownback's officer reminded me he was a co-sponer of the bill. I called from work and couldn't phone long distance so I just called locally and it appeared to work. Thanks for the reminder.

Trstone: great letter!

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
    edited November -1
    Did anything happen today? The news is ignoring it.

• Patrick OdlePatrick Odle Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The stupid antis, and yes I know I flatter them
    by upgrading them to stupid has never realized
    there wouldn't have ever been civilization
    west of the mississippi, had it not been for the
    gun. I'm sure fienfag would have had several arrows
    in her mexican butt by now.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Called local and DC offices of both senators this morning and emailed last night and again this morning. Let's keep this thread near the top all day guys.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.

crawfordsville.gif
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • deputydondeputydon Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I emailed both my senators !

Parsons.gif
    0.jpg
    When they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
    edited November -1
    TAKE A LOOK AT CSPAN-2. THEY ARE COVERING THE SENATE FLOOR AND PRELIMINARY VOTES ARE BEING TAKEN!!!

edited November -1
    Guess what? I can't get through to the phone number because "all circuits are busy now." I wonder if it's an organized jam by the anti-gun organizations or just a lot of Americans spontaneously supporting their Bill of Rights...