In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

forget llama vs. colt. what 1911 is best value?

jimmyconwayjimmyconway Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
edited July 2002 in General Discussion
It seems that Colt is the clear choice over Llama, but I guess I should have asked what make of the 1911 is the best for its price. Right now I'd have to go with the Springfield Mil-Spec, but I'm not anywhere close to an expert. You'll have to excuse my ignorance (I'm afraid this topic is not my bread-and-butter).

Comments

• Options
    E.WilliamsE.Williams Member Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too would say for the money the Springfield Mil-Spec for accuracy and reliability but thats mostly with FMJ.I would say next in line would probably be the Charles Daly models which are descent guns and pretty cheap.Those 2 are probably the best values for the money.

Eric S. Williams
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    Kimber

When Clinton left office they gave him a 21 gun salute. Its a damn shame they all missed....
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,672 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kimber.....

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • Options
    Seth K. PerumeonySeth K. Perumeony Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on whose selling it for what price. A Llama at 1$ is a much better value than a Colt at 2000$

Guns are good, Guns are great... please don't throw them in the lake.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I feel that for all around use, the best value is the Kimber Classic Target. I have found that for general use I want a full size, adjusable trigger,adjustable sight, steel frame, reliable pistol. For enough money, I can make anybodys quality 1911 (Colt, Springfield, Wilson, Les Baer,Para-Ord,Kimber, etc.) do just about anything I want, but for bang for the buck, this has been the best buy I ever made.
  • Options
    dads-freeholddads-freehold Member Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    greetings, i have to go with the kimber, but there are some fine clones out there, that excede colt performance standards by far. respt submitted dads-freehold

rodney colson
  • Options
    E.WilliamsE.Williams Member Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Were talking value here people.I always looked at value as something of good quality at low prices.I would think the Kimber's qualify as good high end guns not necasarily good value buys.Thats just my way of looking at what a value is though.

Eric S. Williams
  • Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jimmyconway...congratulations on getting those Llama thoughts out of your mind. The Springfield Mil-Spec would make a good starter for you and not break the bank. With time and more experience you will learn to appreciate the true value of a high quality semi-auto like a Kimber.

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze
  • Options
    Seth K. PerumeonySeth K. Perumeony Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want value, get a Colt Sistema.
    In 1927(?) Colt contracted a company in Argentina to
    churn out some 1911's. All milspec, genuine Colts.
    Munk... I mean Seth

Guns are good, Guns are great... please don't throw them in the lake.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seth and E.Williams have nailed it folks, you rabid Kimber fans have been overcome by enthusiasm and missed the point. One who is looking for the most gun for bargain price are looking for a "value." My guess is a $400 or $500 gun will more likely fill the bill. That puts suggestions like the Daly or the Sistema closer to realistic. I would add the Kahr-made Auto Ordnance government model, which has recently been well reviewed; it is based on the older military pre-beavertail guns and has the arched backstrap and long trigger. Frankly, the initial thought of a Springfield may be the best thought of all. It's cheaper than Colt, MUCH cheaper than Kimber, and the quality is very, very good. That's value. I'd mention my Star PD, but they're too hard to find, and not a full size 1911 anyway (!)

- Life NRA Member
    "If cowardly & dishonorable men shoot unarmed men with army guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary...and not by general deprivation of constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878