In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Computer expert needed.

Mike37Mike37 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
How can I look in my computer to see who may child may have chatted with? With all the freaks out there, I want to know who and what! I'm using windows XP, and would like to know the steps to see the chat history. Any computer experts out there?

Thanks,
A newly concerned parent!

Comments

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's a lot of different things out there to do this. It depends on what medium they're using to chat. You can install keyloggers and other spy programs. I don't really have much experience in doing it, I have much more experience in preventing it.
    If you are wondering about websites they've visited you can go to the temp internet files.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they are using MSN messenger the new version has a chat log that you have to enable.

Bambi, what ya got for cable modems??[:D][:D] Dude, we gettin cable!!!!!

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • jc_howard_54jc_howard_54 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the easiest things to do is look at your history. If you are using Internet Explorer just go to View, Explorer Bar and select History. That will tell you everywhere you have been. If you want to track more than is showing you can go to Tools, Internet Options and then under General at the bottom you can select how many days you want to keep the history. This will not tell you who your child has chatted with but it will allow you to see where they have been on the internet. Talk with them in reference to the sites they have been if the sites are questionable. If you don't feel comfortable with the answers you get then look at software that tracks their where abouts. This is a start, comes with Internet Explorer, no cost. What chat program are they using AOL chat or Instant Messenger?
    edited November -1
    7mm, I'm not sure what you're askin' for with the bi software (no, I don't go both ways) [:D][:D][:D]

Yes, I do have an unused cable modem in the box and everything. However, many times you can pay up front for a modem and if you sign a 2 year contract it'll be free so you might check into that.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They rent their modems, no purchase. I aint rentin. they also want us to rent a difital decoder for the TV. Are they company specific or can they be bought? Apeerently we are getting the whole 9 yards installed into the cable system, digital recorder, on demand movies and all sorts of fancy expensive crap. All I care about is my BROADBAND!

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
    edited November -1
    7mm, I don't know if they are company specific or not. This one was used on Cox Cable. I have no idea what they're worth, if you really want it I'll look and see what it is. Otherwise, I'll just hang onto it, when we move we MIGHT go to cable instead of my wireless broadband.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's BI?

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif