In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Avondale(AZ) dumps Glocks; tendency to jam

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited July 2002 in General Discussion
Avondale dumps Glocks; tendency to jam

By Marty Sauerzopf
The Arizona Republic
July 29, 2002

Despite rave reviews from other Valley law enforcement agencies, the Avondale Police Department is dumping its arsenal of Glock handguns, saying they are prone to jams that could jeopardize officers or the public.

"It's a significant problem," Police Chief Stephen MacKinnon said. "It was a safety issue for the public."

Most of the department's .40-caliber semiautomatic Glock pistols were purchased 12 years ago. The department's firearms experts have determined the slides that eject spent shell casings have become worn and may not work properly. If they malfunction, the shell will not eject properly and will create a jam when a live round advances into the firing chamber.

MacKinnon said that during a recent training exercise, about half of the dozen or so weapons being used malfunctioned.

Avondale will spend more than $55,000 to purchase 95 Sig Arms P-220 .45-caliber semiautomatics.

Glock officials did not return phone calls asking for comment.

Most other Valley police agencies said their officers carry Glocks, and reported no difficulties or concerns.

"We are very happy and satisfied with the performance of the Glocks we have," said Scottsdale police spokesman Officer Scott Reed. "Any misfires we have on the range normally are attributed to bad ammunition or improper care."

Other department officials said they were surprised to hear of Avondale's decision.

"I have not heard of a problem like that," Phoenix police Sgt. Tony Morales said.
http://arizonarepublic.com/arizona/articles/0729wvGlock0729.html

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878

Comments

• Options
    Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sound to me like the department needs a new armorer.

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I buy armorer incompetence a lot faster than I would a massive weapons malfunction. If this were truly a problem, Glocks would not enjoy the popularity they have with LEOs and the general public. Probably there is some internal politicking / nepotism not addressed in the press release.
  • Options
    Seth K. PerumeonySeth K. Perumeony Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At least their switching to a superior weapon

Just say no...
    to plastic!

Guns are good, Guns are great... please don't throw them in the lake.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "problems" would likely disappear with a good cleaning and some proper lube. That or one of the local city councilmen's brother in law just opened a new gun shop and needs some business.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After 12yrs of Police use its time to replace your sidearms.Were required to qualify twice a year and Im an instructor so I have to devote a little more time than most of the other guys.I would imagine an average of 12yrs on Police Duty the Glocks were shot thousands of times and just needed recoil springs more than likely.Our Dept Carried the Glock 22 for about 15yrs before we switched to the Sig P229 (.357 sig).And our old glocks were as good as new,I was hopeing they would go with the Glock 31,which I own one personally,but they chose the Sig and I must say after I came out of the Sig academy I felt as good about the Sig as I did the Glock when I got out of the Glock Academy.

Rugster
  • Options
    4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    Im a proud new glock owner and love my Glock 22.It will remain in my collection indefinately. I extensively research before purchasing new firearms and I put the glock up against the sig and hk and the glock came out on top. Simplicity of design, fewer moving parts, accessories and parts availability, accuracy, reliability, cost, safety and ease of opperation won me over. My next purchase will be a SIG or HK probably but only because I want one of each.

When Clinton left office they gave him a 21 gun salute. Its a damn shame they all missed....
  • Options
    RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Rugster.....anything mechanical can and does wear out. If these guns lack maintenance and/or repair and have been used extensively for 12 years, well it just could be they are badly worn.

Hate to have to drive a car that needed maintenance and repair and had about 300,000 miles on it, wouldn't you?

If You Can't Buy a Pair, Get a Spare!
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds to me like they just needed a new armorer to replace the worn components. And to teach their officers proper care and maintenance.

Sound to me like that department should just go back to using revolvers, they aren't worthy of auto's yet. Maybe in another deacade or so.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll buy armorer deficiencies, poor choice of ammo, but I'll also buy wear and tear if they have a rigorous practice schedule. Otherwise, it's highly unlikely that a large number of Glocks would begin to jam. The people who love to ruin gun reputations tortured Glocks when they first came out with hundreds of thousands of rounds without experiencing what this one department is experiencing. I'd love to see the spec sheet they are given for cleaning, brand of lube, and duty ammo -- that sort of thing. Might give us a clue.

I'm not saying Glocks can't wear out, but for one department to experience problems that the vast number of others don't have defies logic -- it's like having one town turn up with a heavy epidemic of cancer -- something toxic's going on down there. But what the heck, after 12 years, somebody said it already -- it's time for a new sidearm for these public servants.

- Life NRA Member
    "If cowardly & dishonorable men shoot unarmed men with army guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary...and not by general deprivation of constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878