In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Street sweeper shotgun?

deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I was just going through some old magazine articles and found one on the Cobray Street sweeper revolving drum mag shot gun. I remember something about these being re-clasified as "destructive devices"
by the BATFE a long while ago.My question is if someone owned one
prior to the re-clasification what were they required to do? and what
does this mean to this breed of shotgun? also did the BATFE at the time search through all the 4473's to find the owners of these guns?
I am just curious about this, it looks like a a real fun gun to shoot.

use_deer.jpg

Comments

• kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    They were required to register them as a destructive device or surrender them if I remember correctly.

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    KINGJOE IS CORRECT. IF YOU HAVE ONE NOW THAT IS NOT REG. YOU HAVE A BIG PROBLEM

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    makes me wonder if someday i'll have to register my single shot 22 assault weapons or become a dangerous criminal....god bless america,so many idiots in management
  • 74cuda74cuda Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better do it now, so you don't miss the window of opportunity...

"In God We Trust........All Others Go Thru NCIC"
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    That was kinda funny how they just up and classified this weapon - without a formal discussion period. Thats how it is gonna go from now on - one day we might wake up with our trusty assault slingshots[:(!][:(!]

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    There's that sound again - Sounds like - nooo - could it be - alright who farted[?][xx(][xx(]

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Locating the owners was simple enough; The BATF simply went to Cobray and asked them to account for every Street Sweeper they manufactured (Production records are kept by manufacturers). Of course Cobray simply gave the BATF the serial numbers of all the shotguns they shipped to their wholesalers or showed them the inventory they had in stock at the time. When contacted by the BATF the wholesalers then passed their shipping information on as to what dealers they sold the Street Sweepers to and then the dealers were then contacted and had to either account for their Streetsweepers (I still had mine gathering dust in one of the vaults) or provide the 4473 information as to the individual purchaser who was then contacted by the BATF. If the retail buyer still had the shotgun he was allowed to register it tax free, but if he sold the shotgun he had to pass along the sales information as to the new buyer to the BATF. Sold the gun to a guy at a gun show with out asking for his name? TROUBLE! Frankly the things were junk and the Striker, which looks like a Street Sweeper, was a far better weapon.

Mark T. Christian
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    So if a guy would like to own one today, what would it take to legally obtain one?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke
    edited November -1
    You'd need to find a Street Sweeper which has been legally registered and then complete the transfer using an approved ATF Form 4 with finger prints, LE sign off and with the usual $200 National Firearms Act Tax. The complication here is that these Street Sweepers are now destructive devices and can not be sold/transfered through regular FFL dealers; you need to locate a DD dealer-- not just a Class 3 dealer (I can't sell DD's), but one specifically licensed to sell destructive devices in your home state. Sometines there is no DD dealer in a prospective buyers state and he is SOL. I sold my own Street Sweeper as a private citizen a few years back to a PD in Wisconsin. Exactly what they wanted it for I cannot imagine, but their check was good and I later made some dealer sales to them as well.

Mark T. Christian
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark: Remember when B&B was selling USAS 12's for $1395?
    edited November -1
    I sure do Sheepman and I decidied against a purchase simply because the damned things were just too big! I have a dealer friend (all of my friends are NOT Class 3 dealers by the way) who had one of the full auto USAS restricted sales samples and it was interesting to shoot, but that 12 gauge drum magazine made it even more of a handfull!

Mark T. Christian
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep
    Mark: Remember when B&B was selling USAS 12's for $1395?

I do!! Wern't they made by Gilbert Arms?Never bought one, just remember seeing them.

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bob: Yup. Looked like an M16 with a serious steroid-abuse problem.
    edited November -1
    Yeah, that describes it pretty good!!

Isn't it amazing what absolutely trivial information we retain!!!!![8D][8D][8D]
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw someone put a Franchi SPAS-12 with folding stock on layaway at the gun store today. I know it's not a street-sweeper but it started to make me drool [:p]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idsman75
    I saw someone put a Franchi SPAS-12 with folding stock on layaway at the gun store today. I know it's not a street-sweeper but it started to make me drool [:p]

The Spas12 was a trip!!Always thought it was extremely cumbersome and awkward.

• competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by duckhunter
    IF YOU HAVE ONE NOW THAT IS NOT REG. YOU HAVE A BIG PROBLEM

I'll just say, whether or not one has a problem would depend on the circumstances.

If a widow was going through her late husband's collection of firearms and found an unregistered Street Sweeper, she is not going to have any legal problems. The firearm will have to be surrendered, and there will be some questions, but she is not going to be at risk of being prosecuted.

There is something called "intent" when it comes to breaking laws; mere possession of an unregistered Street Sweeper--if it occurred "innocently" is not going to put a person in jail.

quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    Sold the gun to a guy at a gun show with out asking for his name? TROUBLE!

If a legal private sale took place before reclassification as a DD occurred and the seller didn't keep a record of who the buyer was, there is really nothing the ATF could do to the seller. There was no crime committed. There is no federal requirement that a private individual keep a permanent record of a legal firearm sale to another private party.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm likely in a minority here, but I always liked the Benelli M3's over the SPAS-12... I used to have a Benelli M3 factory folder and had to sell it years ago. That is one of the guns I had to sell that I wish I had back the most. The standard M3 runs about $800-$1100 but the factory folder is around $2,500. [V]

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    By the way competentone, after reading your critique of my postings on private sellers and the Street Sweeper, I was shocked to learn that you have only minimal understanding of some aspect of firearms regulations (like the National Firearms Act)...I thought that you were an expert in the entire field!

Mark,

The quote is from another thread, but please correct any errors I've made in my above comments, here!

I am not an "expert"--ie. someone who deals in firearms/law in a professional/money-making fashion. I maintain an amateur/hobbiest position. I like to be accurate in what I say and spend a good deal of time double checking my understandings of things. If I am in error about something, I welcome a correction.
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just what made the Street Sweeper so evil and so dangerous that it was classified as a destructive device and banned? [?][?][?]

I actually examined one at a gun show many years back and thought it was a rediculous and impractical type weapon to use effectively in the real world but a cool looking movie prop. Still have all the sales brochures from the show.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunpaq
    Just what made the Street Sweeper so evil and so dangerous that it was classified as a destructive device and banned? [?][?][?]

If you're expecting a logical answer to that, there isn't one. Put gun controllers in the same room with a $400 shotgun with a 12-round drum, a carbine length and folding stock, and they act all shocked, and will find a reason -- even though it was basically just a big revolver.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif