In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Who knows about having a stroke?

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
A friend of mine in his mid 30's just got done "feeling funny" for about ten minutes. He couldn't give a straight answer to a question (seemed dazed)and his lower lip is sagging to the left. It looks and feels like he had novacaine shot into it. Everything else is fine with him now and he doesn't have any problems with the rest of his body. Of course he won't go to the doctor.

Does that sound strange to anyone?

Comments

• Annie-OAnnie-O Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well that is definatly a symptom to a stroke. also bells palsy. He should seek medical attention immediatly.

cg1.gif
  • old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    Only one answer to this.Get him to a doctor,NOW.
  • ruger 10 22ruger 10 22 Member Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, it sounds very strange. But I'm sorry and can't help you with your problem. But get him a doctor.

"The militia may be here destroyed by that method which has been practiced in other parts of the world before; that is, by rendering them useless - by disarming them."Temperance.gif
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He's being a crotchety old grump and won't do anything until tomorrow morning.
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a stroke to me. They have a new drug out now that is derived from the saliva of bats that is supposed to dissolve the blood clots in you veins that cause strokes.

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • ruger 10 22ruger 10 22 Member Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That new medicine sounds pretty messed up. Bat saliva????????!!!!!!!![xx(]

"The militia may be here destroyed by that method which has been practiced in other parts of the world before; that is, by rendering them useless - by disarming them."Temperance.gif
    edited November -1
    I heard it was snail poison.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a classic sign/with slured speech/confusion/numdness on one side of the body (his lower lip is sagging to the left) or dieabetic shock. Go to the Doc NOW!

gun.gif
    "Those who live by the sword get shot
    by those who don't." [:D]
    [img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    Hope he is still around in the morning. As mentioned above Bells Palsy is a possibility, but neither is something that he out to be waiting till the morning to get checked out.

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes a small stroke comes before a big one. I'd get him to the doctor ASAP. Better safe than sorry.
    edited November -1
    Vampire bats have a substance in their saliva that prevents blood from clotting. That's so that they can suck blood from animals with out the flow stopping.

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    If it's been more than 30 minutes, it's too late anyway. The damage is done. He must be a very hard headed son of a gun. Does sound like a stroke!

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by H.S. 10-X
    Vampire bats have a substance in their saliva that prevents blood from clotting. That's so that they can suck blood from animals with out the flow stopping.

You're a poet and didn't even know it.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Get him to a dr...my neighbor had a mild stroke..didnt go to the dr...6 months later she had another...I found her and called the ambulance...she still had trouble walking and a bit of trouble talking, but she is doing fine...High BP was the culprit in her case...he needs a dr...

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
    edited November -1
    I didn't realize I was writing a poem about vampire bats, until you showed me I was doing just that.[:D] I know, that sucked!

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    edited November -1
    He smokes twice as much as I do and drinks coffee by the gallon. He is under constant stress and stresses the you-know-what out of himself. He channels his stress into productivity and takes the world by the short-and-curlies. However, his motivation is stress that he purposely brings on himself.

We can't get him to go into a Doc. I'm going to stick around the office until he goes home.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,062 ******
    edited November -1
    I woke up with Bell's Palsy one morning. Scared me. Thought I might have had a stroke, but the only thing affected was one side of my face. It passed in a few weeks. There is no treatment for it.

I had to really concentrate on each eye blink, or one eyelid would not shut all the way and my eye would dry out. Also I drooled some.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He just had a stroke. Those are classic symptoms. If he goes in soon enough they can minimize any damage. I guess if this thread serves any purpose, it is to alert others what to watch for and GET TO A DOCTOR. A stroke can be like your first bad earthquake. You're so busy watching it happen that you fail to get worried and head for a doorway. Trust me, he'll panic later on if it continues happening. It is, shall we say, not too smart to wait a day to see a doctor, and even less smart not to go at all. [xx(]

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    A mild stroke can be signs of a more massive stroke in the near future! My father had a stroke and a heart attack at the same time several years ago. Luckily the stroke was a mild one but even with a mild stroke a person could have lasting symptoms. To this day he has mild numbness in his left finger tips! He is on meds to help prevent another stroke though. As others stated, do your best to get your friend to a Doctor ASAP. Very well could save your friends life.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    It's also a possible sign of a brain tumor, and his age is typical. He needs to be thoroughly checked out by a competent neuroligist ASAP.

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Probably a Minor Stroke.Called a T.I.A.

May have been a good warning as to what might Physically impair him for the rest of his life if he does not see the Doctor.

1-Powder

2-Patch

3-Ball

4-Remove the Rod

5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
    edited November -1
    Well, I called him and he made it home safely. It's hard to tell a "friend" who is your supervisor that he has to see a doctor. I also told the First Sergeant. He'll be seeing a doctor first thing in the morning. I pray he makes it through ok.
  • snowtiggersnowtigger Member Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    *I had exactly the same symptoms on May 26, 2003. I woke up with slurred speech and confusion. I didn't want to go to the doctor either, until my working partner's wife put it bluntly. "We don't want to push you around in a damned wheelchair". I suddenly realized she was right. There are worse things than dying. THIS CAN KILL YOU!! I found out i had had a "mild" stroke. The MRI showed I had had at least five previously. The Dr
    said they were caused by my DIABETES !! I did not even know i had diabetes. With medication, I am doing very well today. I still talk a little "funny" when I am tired, but overall, I feel better than I have in years. Strange how it works.

It ain't what you shoot, it's what you hit.
  • mousemouse Member Posts: 3,624
    edited November -1
    My diagnosis would be a stroke. Hope he goes to the Dr. ASAP!
    Most common symtom for a serious condition is denial. We all
    do it. Had a physician in the ER who did the same thing.
  • Cyberdyne systemsCyberdyne systems Member Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my mother had a stroke in 1998 and she is paralyzed for the rest of her life! she cant walk or use her right arm or leg[:(]
    edited November -1
    A TIA (trans-ischemic attack?) is not as major an event as this was. I had one TIA in 1985 while a smoker, and it was tiny and brief compared to this. Not that it matters what you call it. This episode, and others like it, shouldn't be minimized. There is probably one chance in a thousand that it could be a sign of brain tumor, but it is most likely a stroke. Confusion alone could be something else, and drooping on one side I suppose might be something else, but somebody who suddenly has both symptoms and tries to minimize the probability of serious stroke requiring immediate medical care is being -- unwise. [8]

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

edited November -1
    I expected to have to take over his job for the morning. I showed up and he was at work. He said he woke up feeling fresh as a daisy and isn't going to see a Doctor now. This is frustrating.
    edited November -1
    Great. His speech is slurred and he's asking the stupidest questions now and asks me to repeat my answers for him several minutes after telling him the answer AND HE'S WRITING IT DOWN WHEN I TELL HIM!

Slurred speech. Lack of focus. He just went and made a Dr.'s appt for tomorrow. I'm worried.
  • bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    How bout calling 911. Intervention type thing. If things get worse, like they seem to be, he won't remember you calling anyway. Just a thought because this guy needs help, and he isn't doing it himself.

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
    edited November -1
    Let's assume for a moment that he isn't thinking clearly AND CALL A FRIGGIN' DOCTOR!!! Okay, kidding about yelling at you, ids, but it sure would be a good idea ASAP. It sounds like he's got a bleed or a blockage, one of the two, and he's still essentially having a stroke.... Sheesh. People do die of stubbornness, don't they...

PS -- Did I mention he shouldn't wait until tomorrow, or even later today?

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    What he had was probably a Transischemic Attack or a TIA for short. Something like 95% of people who have serious strokes experience them beforehand. A TIA is gift from God. He's Saying, "YOU'RE IN SERIOUS DANGER!!!" Get your friend's * to the Doctor, STAT!!!![:(!]
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seriously idsman, you need to find someway to get him to the ER right now. This isn't something to play around with. Call his CO and explain it to him and have him order him to the ER if you have to, but do it. His life is in serious danger!

My wife works with stroke victims a lot (she's a physical therapist), and according to her, a person can recover from a TIA (what your supervisor has probably experienced) in a few days sometimes, but it sometime takes years to recover from a stroke IF you don't die from it. And if it's bad enough, he'll wish he'd died anyway.

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or, you could just call an ambulance, and when it shows up, just tell him he told you to call.

To whom much is given, much is expected.
    edited November -1
    A stroke is a blood clot that cuts off oxygen supply to part of the brain, and if it is cut off long enough "necrosis" of that tissue sets in. That is, the affected tissue turns black and dies. Dead. Necrotic tissue must be surgically removed. It can't be left in there once it has died, even if the stroke leaves the victim alive. That means brain surgery. And it all starts with a little thing like this. He doesn't need a walk-in office call. He needs an ambulance ride to the ER, possibly with siren. We know something in there is still strangled because he is still slurring and not able to think clearly. So the longer he waits, the greater the chance that the mental impairment could be permanent -- and it is a LOT cheaper to fix this early than late. Give the guy a couple aspirin, and call 911. He may hate you and want you to pay for the ride, but I'd call somebody anyway. This guy could be slowly dying before your eyes, here. The only question is how long. and how many strokes it will take, if it goes untreated. So now I give up.