In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Switchblades

steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Should they be legal? I think so. I can carry a concealed gun with a permit, but not a switchblade... and I have a collection of about 55 of them. Go figure. Thoughts??? - Toe

Comments

• steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
    edited November -1
    now legal to carry in texas?
  • steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
    edited November -1
    In Texas it is now "basically" legal to carry an automatic knife. When I heard about this it got me thinking about another knife purchase. I own several automatics already (as a collector under old Texas law), but none are practical for every day carry as they are too big. I currently own a MicroTech, a Colt and a Ralph Wilson.

I am wanting one the has a blade of no more than three inches/single edged, has a partial serrated edge, out the front or a folder, and is quality made.

Budget up to $300.00.

Probably ought to just stick with my spring assisted Kershaw Leek, but when a case of "wants" hits, what's a man to do?

Any opinions or experiences would be appreciated.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep. Start to get legal. Send me a couple.[}:)]

He Dog
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suspect switchblades were the "assault weapons" of yesteryear. The blame-the-object-not-the-criminal mentality.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.

crawfordsville.gif
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Switchblades were the bad boy weapon of the 40's and 50's. Some lawmakers made a lot of points, getting them banned.
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whats so lethal about them, that isnt lethal about a regular knife, other than concealability?

By the way, I got a switchblade, come arrest me hahah !

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    I take offense to the term "Switchblade". The more politically correct and culturally sensitive term is "Automatic Knife".[;)]

bouncies.gif
  • Compact_KidCompact_Kid Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It may be a rumor I have heard but in New York City you get into more trouble getting caught with a auto knife than a pistol. The courts label them as "Terroristic Weapons". This law (if true)probably dates back to the "west side story" days.

Oh, and BigTire, where did you get that video clip of my future wife walking down the block?[:p]
  • Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Automatics are legal in some states (they are legal here in ND). The swithblades are the stilletto type that illegal. Some states (like Texas) you are not allowed to ship out of.

Mad Dog
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    You can have them in Texas, just can't carry them...[?] I own several and would love to be able to carry one with my gun...[?]

If you study the legal history behind switchblade laws, you might find interesting comparisons to gun laws.

Switchblades began to be banned in many places in the 20's and 30's because they were the weapon of choice for gangs. Cheap easy to conceal, deadly. (sound familiar yet) So the politicians and liberal pantywaists start whining and trying to fix blame and here come the bans on autoknives....

Of course it did nothing to curtail crime. But damn, it sure felt good.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Supreme OneSupreme One Member Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, even better, "Spring assisted, semi-automatic, sharp metal thingy that can really ruin your day if you piss me off."

Michael

Paranoid keeps you alive, worry just gives you stomach problems.
    - .- -.- . / -- -.-- / .- -.. ...- .. ... . --..-- / .. .----. -- / -. --- - / ..- ... .. -. --. / .. - / .- -. -.-- .-- .- -.-- .-.-.-
    Politics- From the words poly, meaning many, and tics, which are just little blood suckers.
    .-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / .- / ... . -..- ..- .- .-.. .-.. -.-- / - .-. .- -. ... -- .. - - . -.. / -.. .. ... . .- ... . .-.-.-
    If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?
    sound
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The knife I carry opens so fast that I cant see where having a actual "switchblade" would be beneficial.I have a Smith & Wesson knife that when I move my wrist a quarter of an inch it flies open and snaps locked very loudly but it does take some small amount of effort to open it.I dont like the idea of having a knife that if the button is hit it might open in my pocket.I do like the tradiotional Italian Stilleto "switchblade" style knives though.
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Lawmakers have concluded with inteligent thought that you can't stab someone with a knife you must open with your fingers, and to protect "us", they tend to avoid having it open up in your pocket and cutting your goodies. Aren't they nice!
    [:I]
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any knife that opens with a spring or other powered assist is illegal in Indiana -- for sale, for possession, and certainly for carry. There was a guy at the last gun show trying to sell switchblades and stilletos, some cheap and some Italian. He had a decent selection, but as I recall the Italian started at $75 or better and went to a couple hundred. And of course there was some guy standing there telling him and me that they were illegal and I shouldn't be considering buying one. Always somebody around throwing cold water ... [8D] I guess if I'd really been interested I'd have gone back after the worrier was gone. The only switcher I have stuck away somewhere is a cheapie purchased on a college trip to Tijuana around 1970. Now it's just a souvenir in storage.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif