In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shar-Pei has surgery today

offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Shar-Peis have very skinny ear canals, and my dog has been subject to chronic infections. My doc says she's the only breed that still needs surgery to repair it, called a canal "resection." He estimated it at $600-800 so I put it off last visit, but after 20 days of antibiotics she still started having problems again within a day or two. So this morning we had it done. Price was $760... Coulda bought 2 more dogs for that money, but never would. You know how it is. She doesn't look too bad with her ears shaved... Now, what to sell to pay the rent.....

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif

Comments

• FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good for you offeror. It is worth the money. I respect your attitude.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Now, what to sell to pay the rent.....
    Check the Wrinkles. You might find some spare change? [:D] [:D] [8D]
    Hope your dog has a speedy and complete recovery.

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    offrer,here's hoping everything turns out OK.Pets are very expensive to maintain.One of my cats in on three different meds. twice a day.
    Good Luck with your baby.

[:(]

standard.jpg
    Limerick.gif
    It's my cat's world. I'm just here to open cans.

We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic.

ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    Good man offeror. The things we do for the pets we love. Last month I paid a $230 vet bill for my girlfriend's parakeets. Those little guys only cost $10 each when I first bought them for her. I would do it again though, she loves those birds.

f9ef9b6e.jpg

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I planned ahead better than I thought, because my bank account is still in the black and the monthlies are paid. It's like the loaves and the fishes... [:D]

Thanks for the good thoughts, guys. I knew there would be others of the same mind as me. A beloved pet is worth a lot to me that can't be measured in money. I'm happiest that she won't have to suffer with ears full of crud anymore. And I think her hearing will be better in the long run too.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Ya did good....give the dog a hug for me....

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My vet bill is always paid on time. Can't say the same for the others.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    With ya buddy! They are family!

Most here know that Deb and I are dog lovers to the extreme, and also keep pet pygmy goats which are the "yard" dogs. [;)]

Had the old billy bust a sliding glass door that cost me $300 or so to replace, then the expence of a wrought-iron fence and gate to keep it from happening again.

My VP mouthed about killin' and eatin' him since he was destructive. Geeze, he's a goat, and does what goats do. Butt things!

Wasn't six week and the VP's daughter wrecked the family caddy, big time. Hmmm, do we roast the girl? [:D]

Pets are still family to some of us, and the expence of food and vets is the price we pay for the love and enjoyment of their company. Worth every penny!
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    offeror,

You did the right thing sir!

OK, now here comes the story....One of my old long time girl friends had a half Shar-Pei/Black Lab mix. I swear she was the best and smartest dog there ever was. She was smarter than most people! I loved that dog more that the ex (honestly). Her dad always said that if anything ever happened to him that she had to be with me beacuse I was the only one who loved her as much as he did. I used to take her rides in the van to the local dairy queen and get her vanilla ice cream in a bowl. I sure do miss the old girl. One of the hardest days of my life was when she had to be put down. I was there for her.. No one else could do it, but I knew it had to be done. She was in terrible pain. Dam shame I tell you! [:(]
  • texshootertexshooter Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am also with you all the way. You did RIGHT. I think more of my pets than most people that I have met. Rich man or poor man, mansion or under a bridge, pets remain loyal.

National Rifle Association Endowment Member-Texas State Rifle Association Life member
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    I salute you sir. Ya done good. Would have made the same decision myself.

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like your style offeror, hope your dog has a speedy recovery.

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind [8D]

Topeka.gif
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gbeggrow
    offeror,
    You did the right thing sir!

...had a half Shar-Pei/Black Lab mix. I swear she was the best and smartest dog there ever was. She was smarter than most people! I loved that dog more that the ex (honestly)....

Thanks. I about jumped when I read your story because I just finished reading the local classifieds, and believe it or not there is someone giving away for free a 4 month old black Lab/Shar-Pei mix here in Fort Wayne right now. I made a mental note of it because I thought that would be an amazing dog. Thank you for the story.

And thank you all for the continued kind comments. It was hard to leave here there and put her through the discomfort, but 36 hours later the anethetic is finally out of her system and she seems to be feeling pretty good. The ears are going to be great when they're healed up. I can tell that already. We go back for the stitch removal in 10 days.