In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The cost of raising children.......

RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
edited June 2002 in General Discussion
The government recently calculated the cost of raising a child from birth to 18 and came up with $160,140 for a middle income family. Talk about sticker shock! That doesn't even touch college tuition.

But $160,140 isn't so bad if you break it down. It translates into $8,896.66 a year, $741.38 a month, or $171.08 a week. That's a mere $24.24 a day! Just over a dollar an hour.

Still, you might think the best financial advice says don't have children if you want to be "rich." It is just the opposite. What do your get for your $160,140?

Naming rights. First, middle, and last!

Glimpses of God every day.

Giggles under the covers every night.

More love than your heart can hold.

Butterfly kisses and Velcro hugs.

Endless wonder over rocks, ants, clouds, and warm cookies.

A hand to hold, usually covered with jam.

A partner for blowing bubbles, flying kites, building sand castles, and skipping down the sidewalk in the pouring rain.

Someone to laugh yourself silly with no matter what the boss said or how your stocks performed that day.

For $160,140, you never have to grow up.

You get to finger-paint, carve pumpkins, play hide-and-seek, catch lightning bugs, and never stop believing in Santa Claus.

You have an excuse to keep: reading the Adventures of Piglet and Pooh, watching Saturday morning cartoons, going to Disney movies, and wishing on stars.

You get to frame rainbows, hearts, and flowers under refrigerator magnets and collect spray painted noodle wreaths for Christmas, hand prints set in clay for Mother's Day, and cards with backward letters for Father's Day.

For $160,140, there is no greater bang for your buck.

You get to be a hero just for retrieving a Frisbee off the garage roof, taking the training wheels off the bike, removing a splinter, filling a wading pool, coaxing a wad of gum out of bangs, and coaching a baseball team that never wins but always gets treated to ice cream regardless.

You get a front row seat to history to witness the first step, first word, first bra, first date, and first time behind the wheel.

You get to be immortal. You get another branch added to your family tree, and if you're lucky, a long list of limbs in your obituary called grandchildren.

You get an education in psychology, nursing, criminal justice, communications, and human sexuality that no college can match.

In the eyes of a child, you rank right up there with God.

You have all the power to heal a boo-boo, scare away the monsters under the bed, patch a broken heart, police a slumber party, ground them forever, and love them without limits, so one day they will, like you, love without counting the cost.

ENJOY YOUR KIDS AND GRANDKIDS.

Comments

• Options
    COONASSCOONASS Member Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about twins....do you get two for one........was a neat post though........coonass

We Live in a World of Give And Take, But A Lot Of People Won't Give What it Takes.
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rembrandt I have six kids and six grand babies and I would change only one thing. I would have six more of each if possible. I can think of no greater pleasure than laying beside a baby and watching it sleep. Thats MY heaven.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not smiled so much while reading a post in a long time. THANKS and you are absolutely right.

If I knew then, what I know now.
  • Options
    DupontDupont Member Posts: 129
    edited November -1
    I Love my 4 kid's!! I can't wait to meet our new one that's due in September!

Money's only paper, come's and go's, but a child's love lasts Forever!

Of course I can play the piano, as long as it has pedals!
  • Options
    COWBOYKIDDCOWBOYKIDD Member Posts: 239
    edited November -1
    Rembrandt.. Good post. My daughter is almost a teenager. At least she still listens to the ole man.. Im very lucky to have custody of my kid being a divorced single dad. I havent missed a beat.
    OBTW. the I love you so much really makes ya feel good too.

Thieves in 3 piece suits = Politicians,Doctors & Lawyers
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's been a really good deal to me! Wouldn't give back a nickel!
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great post, Rem! I've done a lot of things I regret in my life, including my first marriage, but all the pain and expense of that experience pales when I look at my kids and remember those moments. A little more challenging once they turn to the Dark side of teendom, but still the moments come. Cowboy, I owe you a beer.
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good one Rembrandt.

I told my wife recently that I just couldn't believe how happy our new baby made me. Especially since raising her and taking care of her is by far the most challenging thing I've ever done!!

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    By these figures Mrs Rembrandt and I invetsed about $300,000....spent last weekend seeing our new twin granddaughters...it was worth a million....pretty good return on investment.
  • Options
    tin22tin22 Member Posts: 731 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I liked your post Rembrandt. I don't have children, but I do have family who have kids. I love being with them. Cute post
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 4 kids ... mmm half a million worth ......
    well, cheaper than a nuclear device and can do 4 times the damage...
    better choice ,,,HEHEHE !

Poor choice of destiny make thoose that for upholding the law go against the "LAW".
  • Options
    COWBOYKIDDCOWBOYKIDD Member Posts: 239
    edited November -1
    quote:
    I have 4 kids ... mmm half a million worth ......
    well, cheaper than a nuclear device and can do 4 times the damage...
    better choice ,,,HEHEHE !

Poor choice of destiny make thoose that for upholding the law go against the "LAW".

Man you crak me up lol

Thieves in 3 piece suits = Politicians,Doctors & Lawyers
  • Options
    ClairClair Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would not give mine up for double the money.
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got 2 daughters,(ages 29 and 26)and just a few things to add....When you've stopped being the greatest thing since sliced bread and become so stupid they can't stand it....this happens at around age 13. As they get older you gradually get your "smarts" back. By the time they're 20, you've fully recovered and can join the human race again. Most of that $160K is spent during that time. Clothes, make-up, clothes, entertainment, clothes...you get the picture. But when all that's over, what comes out the other side is, well......priceless

Mudge the dad

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    Mudge, right on,I have 2 girls(ages 28-24). When they were in their teens would not be caught dead riding in a car with me,was not cool.That changed when they graduated from high school. Now they think I am the coolest dude. Who am I to tell them anything different.

"It was like that when I got here".