In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

IL: New Chicago Gun Ban May 1st

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
NEW CHICAGO GUN BAN MAY 1ST! THOSE THAT REGISTERED TO LOSE GUNS WHILE GANGS KEEP THEIRS * CHICAGO COPS TO TURN IN ALL BUT DUTY WEAPONS? * CHICAGO'S NEW PRO-GUN FIREFIGHTER UNION CHIEF ROCKS! * DALEY DEATH COUNT UP TO 22

CONCEALED CARRY, INC. MEMBERSHIPS NOW AVAILABLE: www.concealcarry.org/members/

QUOTE OF THE DAY: "Leave your name and number after the beep and I'll return your call--unless, of course, you're some kind of left-wing, pinko commie, then, I probably won't." - Newly Elected Chicago Firefighter Union Chief James McNally

IN MEMORIAM ---

22 MURDERED BY MAYOR DALEY'S GUN CONTROL LAWS: Tommy Martin, Jr., April 27, 2002; Shakir Beckley, April 17, 2002; Alexis Martinez, April 16, 2002; Heriberto Murguia, April 13, 2002; Brenda Worship, April 5, 2002; Name Withheld, Kenneth Cooper and Christopher Green, March 23 2002; Bobby Hall, March 17, 2002; Sandar Mosqueda and Adrian Padilla, March 16, 2002; Julio Roldan, March 14, 2002; Antoinette LaShawn Johnshon, February 25, 2002; Marco Mosely, February 14, 2002; Antonio Willis, February 09, 2002; Riad Al-Dhufari, January 27, 2002; Name Withheld, January 27, 2002; Timothy Lewis, January 26, 2002; Jennifer Klein, January 24, 2002; John C. Ullrich, January 21, 2002; Tina Noel, January 17, 2002; Charles Gordon, January 15, 2002 *** http://www.concealcarry.org/memorial.htm

DALEY'S HAND PUPPET POLICE SUPERINTENDENT BANS A WHOLE BUNCH OF GUNS ON MAY 1ST! By John Birch, President, Concealed Carry, Inc., PO BOX 4597, Oak Brook, IL 60523 Tel: 630 660-3935 Web: www.concealcarry.org Email: mailto:john@concealcarry.org

As of May 1st the Chicago Superintendent of Police (no doubt under order's from Mayor Daley )has promulgated new gun bans for Chicago citizens.

I left the spelling errors in just to show you how ignorant the city is. I'm not talking about minor errors either. The subject of this ban is yet again "assault" weapons which the Superintendent spells "assualt." Looks like Mayor Daley is not the only one suffering from a challenged grasp of the English language.

HERE ARE SOME HIGHLIGHTS:

1. All .50 Calibers are banned (Yep, you know how criminals use those

.50's!)

2. Bye bye Street Sweeper (The victim of a poor choice in picking a name for a shotgun for sure!) 3. Colt AR-15 (Okay for veterans to carry for their nation, but not as free citizens.) 4. Any gun starting with "TEC" (Gangs will give them up now for sure!) 5. Semi Automatics with pistol grips (And don't forget evil flash

suppressors!)

6. You get the idea, no guns for citizens.

THERE IS MORE:

If you were so stupid as to register your guns with the city....they know you got them! You just lost your guns! And since the criminals didn't bother to register they get to keep theirs! Again the city is going out of it's way to coddle gang bangers and make the streets safe for them. Why Chicagoan's are so passive to this is beyond me. Let the killing continue I guess.

THE UPSHOT:

We hear, but cannot document yet, that there is another order that complements this one. It mandates Chicago Police must remove all weapons from their homes except their duty weapon also by May 1st.

SIGN TO PUT UP ON THE DAN RYAN:

"Armed Thugs and Gang Bangers Welcome to Chicago Where Even The Police Might Not Have A Gun!"

Thanks to TOBYRT@aol.com who assisted greatly in this story

EXCERPT FROM THE BELOW PROFILE OF JAMES MCNALLY:

"Had Scottie Pippen played basketball for any of a good number of NBA franchises, his recent brush with the law would have been moot. ... Many other NBA towns don't have the oppressive and ineffective gun-control laws Chicago imposes, and by comparison are practically crime-free. ..."

"Mayor Daley sarcastically suggests Pippen can afford a bodyguard. A logical conclusion, I suppose, from one who from childhood to the present has enjoyed the luxury of a squad car at the front and rear doors of his home, and who has never ventured out of either without a security detail in tow--paid for not by himself, as he proposes Pippen do, but by an increasingly overburdened taxpayer for whom such amenities are out of the question."

James McNally in a 1994 letter to the Sun-Times, defending Second Amendment after Pippen's arrest for having a loaded gun in his car

SHOOT FEST SUNDAY MAY 19, 2002 - ALL WELCOME!

http://concealcarry.org/shootfest2002.htm

THIS EDITION OF CONCEALED CARRY NEWS IS BROUGHT TO BY THE GENEROSITY OF www.concealcarry.org/members/sponsor.htm

Do a friend a favor...pass this copy of CC NEWS on!

To subscribe to CC NEWS, just email mailto:john@concealcarry.org

CHICAGO'S NEW GUN BAN

http://www.ci.chi.il.us/CommunityPolicing/AboutCPD/PressReleases/PressRe

leases02/PR020408.html

Superintendent Hillard Announces

Public Notice

On Regulations Relating to Assualt (sic) Weapons

08 April 2002

Pursuant to Section 8-20-030(h)(3) of the Municipal Code of Chicago, the Superintendent of Police has promulgated regulations that expand the definition of assualt (sic)weapons that are prohibited withing (sic) the City of Chicago. The regulations were promulgated on March 18, 2002 and go into effect May 1, 2002. Copies of the regulations are available on this site and at:

The Office of the City Clerk, 121 N. LaSalle St. Room 107, Chicago, Il 60602

The Gun Registration Program, Chicago Police Dept. Headquarters, 3510 S. Michigan, Room 1027, Chicago, Il 60653

I, Terry G. Hillard, Superintendent of Police of the Chicago Police Department, hereby promulgate the following regulations pursuant to Section 8-20-030(h)(3) of the Municipal Code of Chicago:

Section 1.(a) In addition to the weapons defined as assault weapons in Section 8-20-030 of the Municipal Code of Chicago, the following weapons are defined as assault weapons because the design or operation of the weapons is inappropriate for lawful use:

i. any of the firearms, or types, replicas, or duplicates in any caliber of the firearms known as:

(1) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);

(2) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;

(3) Beretta AR-70 (SC-70);

(4) Colt AR-15;

(5) Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;

(6) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;

(7) Steyr AUG;

(8) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9, and TEC-22; and

(9) any shotgun which contains its ammunition in a revolving cylinder, such as (but not limited to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

(10) any firearm having a caliber of .50 or greater;

ii. a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has [one or more of the following]:

(1) a folding or telescoping stock;

(2) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) a bayonet mount;

(4) a flash suppressor or barrel having a threaded muzzle; or

(5) a grenade launcher;

iii. a semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has [one or more of the following]:

(1) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(2) a barrel having a threaded muzzle;

(3) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel, and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;

(4) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(5) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm;

iv. a semiautomatic shotgun that has [one or more of the following]:

(1) a folding or telescoping stock;

(2) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; or

(4) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

(b) Except as otherwise may be required by Section 8-20-030 of the Municipal Code of Chicago, "assault weapon" does not include:

i. any firearm that;

(1) is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever or slide action;

(2) has been made permanently inoperable; or

ii. any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; or

iii. any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine.

Section 2. These regulations take effect May 01, 2002.

Promulgated This 18 day of March, 2002

Terry G. Hillard

Superintendent of Police

Series 2000 Synthetic Motor Oil. Up to 4 times more engine protection than any motor oil. www.concealcarry.org/amsoil.htm or catalog www.concealcarry.org/amsoil_catalog.pdf

Dramaticly outperforms conventional oil. Outstanding low temperature fluidity. AMSOIL, our corporate partner. www.concealcarry.org/amsoil.htm or catalog www.concealcarry.org/amsoil_catalog.pdf

JAMES MCNALLY - PRO-GUN AND PROUD OF IT!

Outspoken union boss won't take back a word

BY SCOTT FORNEK STAFF REPORTER

Jim McNally leaves lasting impressions.

For some black firefighters, an indelible image was etched in their minds 15 years ago--a white firefighter who protested affirmative action in promotional exams by wearing blackface on the job.

"He's anti-black, he's anti-affirmative action," said Capt. Ezra McCann, an African-American firefighter and activist. "His actions have shown us who he is, have shown us his true colors."

But Thomas H. Cook remembers a night about 10 years ago when he was the lieutenant assigned to Engine 45, a firehouse at 46th and Cottage Grove. A young child, an African-American girl about 8, ran into the firehouse, her face bleeding. She said her mother had hit her, and she was afraid.

"You could just see that the little kid was scared to death, hysterical," Cook said.

Cook took the child into the kitchen and went to call the police. When he returned, he found her eating a bowl of ice cream as a firefighter was gently wiping the blood from her face and talking softly to calm her down.

"And by the way, the fireman was Jim McNally, our new president of Local 2," said Cook, 62, who retired about seven years ago. "Anyone who is a racist is not going to do that, I don't give a damn who they are."

James E. McNally, 50, was elected head of Chicago Fire Fighters Union Local 2 earlier this month. His election sparked the type of reaction uncommon in the usually lower-profile world of union elections.

The Rev. Jesse Jackson called it an insult. Nicholas Russell, head of the African American Fire Fighters League, dubbed him an embarrassment. Mayor Daley called the 1980s blackface stunt inappropriate.

McNally's supporters in the union--white and black--paint a different picture, a picture of a man they insist is colorblind. They describe him as a heroic firefighter, a union representative who goes to bat for his members regardless of race, a man who married a Hispanic woman and dotes on their three Mexican-Irish daughters.

"He is a real good guy," said Terry Washington, 36, a black firefighter in the firehouse at 46th and Cottage Grove where McNally is assigned. "He has gotten a bad rap."

'Not afraid to speak my mind'

McNally insists he does not understand the firestorm. But make no mistake, he has never shied from voicing his staunchly conservative opinions--even on the answering machine at his Southwest Side home.

"Leave your name and number after the beep and I'll return your call--unless, of course, you're some kind of left-wing, pinko commie," McNally says in the message. "Then, I probably won't."

McNally is a prolific writer of letters to the editor. The Chicago Sun-Times has published at least two dozen of them on a variety of topics since 1989.

He has called Bill Clinton the "molester-in-chief" and "the draft dodger in the White House," and he has called Hillary Rodham Clinton "a wimp." He has written that Daley "desecrated and defiled his office" by meeting with former Vietnam War protester Tom Hayden. He has dubbed former Mayor Jane Byrne a " lunatic liar of a mayor."

As for McCann, McNally has hurled the racism charge back at him, likening the African American to a white supremacist--"the Matt Hale of the Chicago Fire Department."

And in one letter he penned 10 years ago, McNally defended the late Richard J. Daley's notorious "shoot-to-kill" order during the West Side riots of the 1960s, writing that "we cannot let the law of the jungle prevail."

"I'm not afraid to speak my mind," McNally said Thursday. "I'm not afraid to listen to different opinions, either."

As for a 1992 letter suggesting that looting after the Bulls won their second championship would have been less widespread if the current Mayor Daley "had some of his father's fortitude," McNally makes no apologies.

"I don't really know what to say about the letter," he said. "It is kind of self-explanatory. If people are out to commit crimes, they should be held accountable."

'Angry white male?'

A big, beefy figure with a sharp sense of humor, McNally can be imposing until you get to know him, said Julia Mudloff, 34, a white firefighter-paramedic in north suburban Park Ridge who first met McNally at a conference of the Associated Fire Fighters of Illinois about four years ago.

"He's intimidating at first," she said. "I thought he would have nothing to do with me. He actually sought me out in a crowd. ... The first 10 minutes of the conversation, I knew he wasn't what I thought he was.

"He has shown me and a lot of women respect, and it is professional respect, which is important. He has a heart of gold. He is very protective. He is like a big brother."

Bob Scates, 56, is a paramedic supervisor for the department and director of emergency medical services for the union. He is black and counts McNally as a friend.

"We hit it off real good," said Scates, a 32-year veteran. "I've been to his birthday parties. I have been out with him socially. We think a lot alike politically."

Scates described himself as a Republican and National Rifle Association member--like McNally--who shares McNally's love of country and western music and his opposition to out-of-rank promotions.

In McNally's role as union business agent of the South Side 5th fire district, Scates said, he has pushed the local to pursue grievances on behalf of firefighters of all races.

"Sometimes I would say, 'No, this guy doesn't deserve a break,' and Jimmy would argue against me in favor of the black firefighter," Scates said.

Washington agreed, saying, "The guys I know that he has helped in the past, he has put 100 percent into helping if they had problems with the city, whether they are white, black, Hispanic, Asian or whatever."

Washington declined to give his view on the blackface episode because he did not see it himself. But he conceded it is a big issue with some other black firefighters.

"From the black guys I have talked to, they feel like he should just admit it was a mistake," Washington said.

Scates accepts McNally's explanation of the blackface episode.

"It might not have been the best political statement, but it is a political statement," Scates said. "I don't take it personally."

But Russell disagreed. He stopped short of calling McNally racist but said the stunt was "downright insulting."

"He says it's a protest, and I say people with my face, a black face, have been enslaved and lynched and not to mention persecuted and discriminated against for over 300 years," said Russell, president of the African American Fire Fighters League of Chicago. "And anyone who chooses to protest in that manner shows their insensitivity to people of color."

Russell said he and McNally appeared together on the Oprah Winfrey show discussing reverse discrimination in about 1989, in an "angry white male segment." He said a firefighter in the audience tried to bring up the blackface incident at the end of the show after the taping ended.

What was Winfrey's response?

"If I'm not mistaken, she said ' What? '" Russell said.

No apologies

McNally refuses to apologize for the 1987 blackface episode, arguing he was dramatizing his opposition to race-norming on promotional exams, a subsequently outlawed practice that helped minority firefighters leap over whites on a promotion list.

"If anyone is offended, that is unfortunate," he said. "But I think what the city did on promotional exams was much more unfortunate for people on the promotion lists."

The stunt earned McNally a one-day suspension, later reduced to a reprimand. He also received a 30-day suspension for being captured on a videotape at a raucous 1990 retirement party at Engine 100. Other white firefighters were shown making racial slurs. McNally blames the 1997 release of the tape on African-American firefighter activists trying to sabotage contract talks.

"They tried to inject race into something that really didn't exist," he said. "There were minority firefighters that were also disciplined for being present at Engine 100."

But one black alderman said the episode could haunt McNally.

"If he ever comes before the City Council, his behind will be fried by my black colleagues," said the alderman, requesting anonymity. "He is pretty much persona non grata."

As for any suggestion he is racist, McNally said, "It's just not there."

"My wife was of Mexican heritage, which means my kids are half Hispanic," he said. "I will point to my record. I have always represented everyone fairly and equally to the best of my ability."

Soccer dad

McNally is a lifelong Southwest Sider. He grew up in the Mount Greenwood neighborhood, graduated from Brother Rice High School in 1970 and attended Moraine Valley Community College and Northern Illinois University. He served a two-year hitch in the Army's 82nd Airborne in the early 1970s but did not see combat.

He joined the Fire Department in 1979 and spent much of his later career as an engineer at Engine 45.

"If he's such a racist, why did he dedicate 20 years of his life working in one of Chicago's poorer black neighborhoods at one of the busiest firehouses?" said Tim O'Brien, 40, a white firefighter who has known McNally for 10 years. "He must have gone to thousands of fires in his career and took part in rescuing hundreds of kids. ... If he had that attitude, he could very easily have said, 'I don't want to work here.'"

One of McNally's most memorable fires was in 1986, when he fought the blaze that destroyed Holy Angels Roman Catholic Church. McNally said he and three other firefighters met the Rev. George Clements out front. They went inside the church, and Clements followed.

"The situation was rapidly deteriorating," McNally said. "He went down. And myself, I personally helped him up, helped carry him out of there, where he would be out of harm's way."

McNally went back in, but the floor collapsed, inches from their boots. "Fortunately, no one was killed, but it was a very close call," he said.

McNally lives in the Clearing neighborhood with his two youngest daughters, Maricolleen, 16, and Jaime, 14--both a step below black belts in tae kwon do.

"I'm a soccer dad and a basketball dad and a baseball dad," he said.

He also has two grandchildren--and "one on the way"--from his oldest daughter, Christine, 31. His wife, a nurse, died about 10 years ago.

"He took care of his dying wife, several years ago, and he has very bittersweet memories of that," said Mudloff. "He just reveres her highly, and it was just a very hard time for him to go through. ... There is just a very sensitive side to Jim."

McCann said McNally's marriage proves nothing. "He always uses that point to say he is not racist," McCann said. "But I feel that the way him and his union have treated the black members, maybe you might have a problem with the race issue."

But some of McNally's potential adversaries at the bargaining table are giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Fire Commissioner James T. Joyce called the blackface episode "an unfortunate incident" but said he believes management can work with McNally.

"He is an intelligent guy," Joyce said. "He is a good, solid hard-working firefighter. ... I look forward to working closely with McNally and the other executive members of the board."

World's Finest Gun Lube! http://www.concealcarry.org/amsoil_mp.htm

World's Easiest and Best Car Wash www.concealcarry.org/amsoil_miraclewash.htm

MCNALLY IN HIS OWN WORDS

Here's the union chief in his own words:

Reports of protesters assaulting women downtown by throwing red paint on their fur coats is hardly the most efficient means of drawing attention to the cause of animal rights. The novelty has worn off. Might I suggest a more dramatic method that will be a guaranteed attention-getter.

Protesters armed only with red paint should cruise the City's South Side until they find the saloon that has the most Harley-Davidsons parked out in front. Upon entering the establishment, they should locate any and all of the patrons wearing leather jackets, throw red paint on them, and scream "Murderer!!" This will undoubtedly provide for a very news-worthy media event that will draw a great deal of attention to the cause!

1996 letter posted on Chicago Fire Fighters Union Local 2 Web site

Probably the greatest achievement of the late Martin Luther King Jr. was the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The major theme was "no discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, or national origin." Civil rights leaders and others who profess allegiance to the ideals Mr. King fought for, while at the same time support quotas and affirmative action, are hypocrites. Racial discrimination, simply because it is directed against whites, is still racism.

1989 letter published in Sun-Times

During the 1968 Democratic National Convention, Chicago police did an admirable job meeting and thwarting an angry mob whose sole mission was to wreak havoc on the city, and many, particularly in the media, referred to this as a "police riot"!

When Mayor Richard J. Daley ordered police to "shoot to kill" arsonists during the West Side riots of the same era, he was ridiculed by the media. Perhaps if Richard the II had some of his father's fortitude, the recent chaos would not have been so widespread. ...

When individuals decide to destroy and steal the property of others, to commit arson, and to attack police and firefighters who are performing their duties, those individuals forfeit their rights as citizens of this country.

We cannot allow the law of the jungle to prevail.

1992 letter to the editor, complaining about Police Supt. Matt Rodriguez describing looters after the Bulls championship as "citizens caught up in too much revelry"

Had Scottie Pippen played basketball for any of a good number of NBA franchises, his recent brush with the law would have been moot. ... Many other NBA towns don't have the oppressive and ineffective gun-control laws Chicago imposes, and by comparison are practically crime-free. ...

Mayor Daley sarcastically suggests Pippen can afford a bodyguard. A logical conclusion, I suppose, from one who from childhood to the present has enjoyed the luxury of a squad car at the front and rear doors of his home, and who has never ventured out of either without a security detail in tow--paid for not by himself, as he proposes Pippen do, but by an increasingly overburdened taxpayer for whom such amenities are out of the question.

1994 letter to the Sun-Times, defending Second Amendment after Pippen's arrest for having a loaded gun in his car

Add AMSOIL to your existing business or to your home business. Low cost dealerships available. Contact mailto:john@concealcarry.org

Order AMSOIL on the INTERNET http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=533734&page=store

To place and order for AMSOIL for pick up in Oak Brook call: 630 660-3935

Support "Operation Ohio" http://www.concealcarry.org/operation_ohio.htm

http://www.concealcarry.org/ccnews.htm

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878

Comments

• Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So does that mean that Chicago's citizens must give up their .50-cal muzzleloaders too? I suppose they ARE anti-aircraft rifles.

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY
  • Options
    S&W ManS&W Man Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, I thought Chicago already had a ban on all guns, they now need more?

Seecondly, Do they have to give up their 50AE as they are 50 caliber as well?

The second admendment GUARANTEES the other nine and the Constitution!
  • Options
    gars320gars320 Member Posts: 471 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stories like this do nothing but make me thank the Good Lord that I was lucky enough to escape from that Out House on the shore of Lake Michigan almost 10 years ago.
    William81..Hey guy, move over to Indiana man! Not only is this a CCW friendly state, it's A CLASS III STATE AS WELL! Finally got my first class III item after spending 30 years in drooling over the unattainable in SH@TCAGO> Home to Gang Bangers and the Dumbest Politician to ever connive thier way into office.
  • Options
    mcneely77mcneely77 Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just don't get it. How can people be so blind. Do they really think that this will cut down on violent crime. If I ask 50 people I know about the gun issue, at least 45 will be in favor of less gun control. So how do these idiots get elected? If we didn't put them in office, we wouldn't have to worry about it. Where are all these Rosie Bitches that elect these clowns? I don't know any.

Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.

IALEFI, ASLET, NRA, and proud owner of a pair of S&W revolvers.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    McNeely- You are talking to the wrong(actually right) people.
    If I talk to fifty people about gun control, 45 of them would be in favor of strict gun control. I guess it all depends on where you live.

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now I know why I left Chicago and moved to Arizona five years ago.

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze