In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question for windows experts.

woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in General Discussion
If it matters I'm running windows XP. When I do a search in the auctions I get a drop down list of previous searches, for example; I want to search for a rook rifle. As soon as I type the "R" I get a list of everything I've ever searched that starts with the letter R. I start to type "rook" and I get a list Remington, revolver, rook, etc. Can this feature be disabled? It annoys the Heck out of me. Same thing with it remembering user names, I'd like to disable that too. I go to type in woodsrunner and I get that plus all my inactive email accts.

Woods

Comments

• Options
    rameleni1rameleni1 Member Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like auto-completion is on. You should be able to turn it off when you are in Internet Explorer. Click on tools, and search from there. I don't have xp installed now, because its not backwards compatible with my old drives. I can't give you exact instructions.

Rameleni1
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks that took care of it. It was really getting annoying. Before I auction something, I try and see how that item is selling in other auctions. When it was just a couple things it was kind of neat. When that list drops down and there are ten or more things it gets to be a real pain in the *.

Woods
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most are stored in "Internet Temp. Files" Go to Settings, then to Control Pannel.

Then go to Internet Options-

Then Click on "Delete Cookies" [:D] (do that once a week) Save you of internet hassel! and problems, and HD space.

Then right next to it "Delete Files" Click ON "Delete All offline Files, click oK

Then Restart Your Computer.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know how to delete just part of them? I would like to keep some and get rid of others.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    pickenup: You can use windows explorer. In xp you click on start then windows explorer, then access your c: drive, find the windows folder click on it then look for the cookies folder, click on it then you can delete whatever ones you want.

pa.gif

In God We Trust
  • Options
    kaliforniankalifornian Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can delete anything in the dropdown list by hovering on an entry with the mouse and pressing the delete key on your keyboard.

http://ynot4free.com
  • Options
    ebeshirsebeshirs Member Posts: 382 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    rameleni1,
    What are you meaning by "not backward compatible"?
    So far, Windows XP Pro has been the most stable and compatible OS they've (Microsoft) come out with.

"Your talents are being wasted here. We're going to transfer you over to our rocket science department."
  • Options
    Fep1990Fep1990 Member Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what rameleni1 might be talking about is: With Windows 2000 and Windows XP, you can use the windows standard of FAT32 file system on the hard drive, or...you can use the newer NTFS system. If you install XP on a drive that has FAT32, you can either continue the FAT32 or reformat and use the NTFS. I am running 2 drives. One is FAT32 and the other is NTFS. I am also using windows 98SE and WIndows XP. when using WIn98, I cannot access the drive in the NTFS system. But...when using XP, I can access both. Easiest to think of it as English(FAT32) and German(WIN98). The english knows both langauges, but the German only knows one.

If you use the NTFS system, you cannot go uninstall it and reinstall 98 without refomatting and losing all info. But.. you can just leave it at the FAT32
  • Options
    rameleni1rameleni1 Member Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ebeshirs
    rameleni1,
    What are you meaning by "not backward compatible"?
    So far, Windows XP Pro has been the most stable and compatible OS they've (Microsoft) come out with.

I am talking about problems with old drives, scanners, etc. They are not on Microsofts hardware compatibility list. The makers of the hardware don't offer drivers for xp.

"Your talents are being wasted here. We're going to transfer you over to our rocket science department."

Rameleni1
  • Options
    Fep1990Fep1990 Member Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry rameleni1. You are absolutley correct in this too. I have a HP cd burner that I had to download a patch for, to let XP recognise it..sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't. Same with my Mustek Scanner. That is why I run both operating systems on my main PC. There are several win2000 drivers that could work with XP...but it is not worth the trouble and time trying to locate them.