In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Today, I found out why..........

crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
......there is so much trash and junk dumped on our county roads. I have two TV's, 19inch & 25inch, that are kaput! I called the local landfill to get an estimate on the cost of dumping them. The person in charge replied with, $66.23 plus weight!At first I thought I didn't hear her right and I made her repeat it two more times. Of course, this made her angry because it must have pushed her mental capacity to the limit to remember that figure three times in a row. When I knew she was good and angry I told her that I didn't want them fixed, I just wanted to dump them.....she hung up. Now, I have to wait and dump them one at a time because I know this large blonde lady and I think she might jerk me out of the cab of my truck and beat the snot out of me when I go.
Anyway, are dump fees in your area out of hand like this? Or are they free or what? Do TVs require full HAZMAT suits to handle for these people? Just curious.........[:D][:D]

Comments

• interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    What is this the "Twilight Zone"?

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Around here they take tvs free at recycling and gut them for copper metel ect. then trash the rest. Dain by the time you dump yours you will have enough to buy a new tv.

col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    I am a man but I can change if I have to,I guess.
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Feral televisions have long been a problem in my area. City people abandon them in the woods and along the country roads, thinking that somebody else will take them in. Once, two 25" color consoles and a 17" black and white portable showed up in my yard, each tuned to Will & Grace with the volume turned up. I took care of business before they could attack my plasma Hitachi.
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Feral televisions have long been a problem in my area. City people abandon them in the woods and along the country roads, thinking that somebody else will take them in. Once, two 25" color consoles and a 17" black and white portable showed up in my yard, each tuned to Will & Grace with the volume turned up. I took care of business before they could attack my plasma Hitachi.
    [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D] That was good...[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They disassemble the TVs, ice boxes refridgerators, etc and resale the parts. It's pure profit for them. Even the passenger tires cost an average of $15 each and the limit is 5 per year. When you take an old tire out to dump, they record your name, address and DL number and save it into their data base...All vehicle tires are ground up and used in the material to pave the roads, so this is another plus to their budget..It just seems too much to pay sometimes......[xx(][xx(]
  • 4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    I thought $5 was robbery,guess I got off cheap.

"Keep dangereous weapons out of the hands of fools-start with computers"
  • kenneth and melissakenneth and melissa Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I knew she was good and angry I told her that I didn't want them fixed, I just wanted to dump them.....she hung up. THat was funny [:D]

Thomas Jefferson, of Virginia:
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is quite an ordeal to get rid of a refrigerator around here. You have to have the coolant removed by a professional, get a paper stating this, then you can take it to the landfill. Total cost can be $125 and up. When you get a new one delivered, having them take the old one for $25 is a good idea.

Appliances and tires are, but TV's are not extra here.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have public pick up and whatever will fit in our bin they will haul off. We once dug up the concrete that held a corner post on a farm (that is now our yard) and my brother-in-law and I rolled it into the bin and got it to the curb (we were both 6'3"+ and 280+ and we worked our butts off to get it out there). In the morning the trash truck dumped it in the back with a resounding boom. I always wondered if it scared the guy half to death. [:D]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dumps are free here. County has one big landfill, and several others around the county that are drop-off spots. Basically, large lots with dumpsters. Refrigerators and the like, there is a county run recycling yard. If you can drag it in, they take it for free.

Dangest thing I got into was at my old house. It was shingled with abestos siding. Good stuff in its day, but wife wanted to replace with vinyl. I figured "No problem." Couldn't find a dang soul around here to remove the old abestos siding without charging a huge haz-mat fee. Couldn't dump it myself either without paying a huge fee. Finally took it off the house myself. I lived in town at the time and they had curb-side trash pick up. Every week for about the next 2 months, both of my trash cans were 1/2 full of abestos siding! Never heard a word about.
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    Abestos siding shouldn't cost a haz-mat fee! It is solid, it is only the loose fibres that are a hazard.[?][?][?][?]

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Send them to Tools. He knows what to do with them.

DWS, Good one![:D]

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here they pick up TV, Friges, stoves, air cond., hot water tanks, etc. and there is no direct extra charge. Only stipulation is that you call the City Svc. Dept. and tell them that you setting the stuff out. Sometimes they will ask that you wait until a certain day, but thats it.

Of course my property taxes run better than $5,000 a year so you could say that we are paying for the service wheather we use it or not.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Once a year,the little town I live near(and have a rent house in)has a "Spring Cleaning Week".They'll haul off anything you can get to the curb.Lot's of good "curb shopping" for a few days![:D][:D]

Our trash disposal company here at work will allow tires IF we cut the bead out.We don't have a lot of tires to dispose of so it's not a big deal to do one or two at a time.

Our county has started fining the h*ll out if people if they catch them dumping stuff in the ditch,but they just keep on doin' it.[V][V]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
    edited November -1
    We pay a fee in our land taxes in Hernando county. Therefore there is no charge when a 'homeowner' takes their trash, tires, electronics, metal, construction debree and brush to the landfill.

There is a limit on how much you can bring at any one time.

Also why would we have to pay a fee for tires. We pay a fee when we buy the tires for disposal cost and some tire dealers charge you another fee to take the tires when you buy new one. Sounds like a racket to me.

fa4d9fb5.jpg

When you wrestle a 'gator, there ain't no good end!!

"Molon Labe!" Spartan General-King Leonidas
  • ClairClair Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bobbywins:
    Same thing here, but they do it spring and fall. Appliances cost $10 to get rid of.
    Around here they call it "dumpster diving". Everyone puts their stuff out along the road. A lot of people ride around and check out each others piles, and pick out what they want. Got some good stuff that way.

<P> To each his own
    Craig Brosius
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always try to take a load of trash with me when I go to Massholia; I figure Boston is already so full of garbage, a little more won't hurt anything.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Winchester-mutt
    Dumps are free here. County has one big landfill, and several others around the county that are drop-off spots. Basically, large lots with dumpsters. Refrigerators and the like, there is a county run recycling yard. If you can drag it in, they take it for free.

Dangest thing I got into was at my old house. It was shingled with abestos siding. Good stuff in its day, but wife wanted to replace with vinyl. I figured "No problem." Couldn't find a dang soul around here to remove the old abestos siding without charging a huge haz-mat fee. Couldn't dump it myself either without paying a huge fee. Finally took it off the house myself. I lived in town at the time and they had curb-side trash pick up. Every week for about the next 2 months, both of my trash cans were 1/2 full of abestos siding! Never heard a word about.

Non-friable asbestos, such as siding, can go into the construction and demolition pits without needing a permit from 'our' state. Handling and disposal of the friable has become a racket and needs to be permitted.

,,,sod

cyclone.gifdemandbeeftag.jpg