In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NICS Fee

RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
The way I understand it is you have to pay a NICS fee every time you buy a gun if your CCW was issued after 11/98 or if you don't have a CCW. This is what I've been told, may not be right. Prior to 11/98 would be a Grandfather Clause. I live in FL. If any body knows something other than this let me know. I have a AK47 I'm picking up Sat.

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.

Comments

• Options
    PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Feds do not charge a fee. Some states do. Close as I am I really ain't positive but I think FL does.

The Almighty Himself Entrusted the Future of All Living Creatures to a Wooden Boat.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -"Audemus jura nostra defendere"
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    here in WI its $ 8 or $10 depends on the store
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The FFL dealer I'm going through maybe trying to get more money out of me. I also don't think he knows what he is doing. The first gun I bought this way, the Pawn Shop called the seller and said he needed his FFL to accept the gun. The seller straightened him out on this and the gun was shipped after the Pawn Shop sent his FFL.

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The dealer i work with only charges $4, cheap enough considering he has to do it
  • Options
    ref44ref44 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colorado law allows up to $10 to be charged for the background check.
    Calls go to the CBI, but a check results in both a state and a NICS number.
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Here in the PR of NJ, it is 15.00 bucks every time you buy a gun.
    Don't matter if you bought one yesterday, you still pay today!!

Thank you NJ

-Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • Options
    pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    After 98 even with a CCW in Florida, you still have to have a nics check done. Even those that have had their CCW before 98 will have to have the background checks called in after they renew their permits. It should be about $5.00 in Florida...anything else is going to the sellers pocket.