In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun Club at a University

pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
edited January 2002 in General Discussion
Hi all, I was looking for some advice on starting a gun club or shooting sports club at my school. Any ideas on how to get started, any likely sponsors, etc. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    NateNate Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am in college and we have several clubs that are shooting oriented.Archery club,rifle club, Pistol cluband practical pistol clubI am a range officer for the pistol club. The club is registered as a corporation so it can own firearms. The club owns 8 ruger mark II's, a ruger single action revolver and a ruger 357. The student government allots the club about 3 to 4 hundred dollars a year for our expenses. This year they had some extra money and the club put in for additional funds, I think we ended up with an extra 5 grand for this year. We will be buying an additional 6 ruger mark II's, 2 smith 41's, and a new safeThe club has over 80 active members and use of the schools rifle range 3 nights a week. Monday nights are used for completive shooting, we shoot a mock NRA match. The other nights are open shooting, just informal plinking I guess you would call it. As for getting started talk with your student government, they will point you in the right direction. As for sponsors, it is all going to depend on the area, I know our club only deals with one gun shop and they always treat us right. The clubs guns are usually bought at or just above the shops cost. [This message has been edited by Nate (edited 01-29-2002).]
  • Options
    edharoldedharold Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contact the NRA that is what they are suppose to be about. Justk someone here will have a contact number handy. Good luck.
    "They that would give up liberty to obtain safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"Benj. Franklin, 1759
  • Options
    pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    I just got the number for the NRA in regards to this sort of thing. They have a whole page dedicated to school organizations. Thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna write a proposal and submit it to my schools student government.Alex