In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Most accurate "out of the box rifle" under $800?

RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
Saw this question asked on another board....What is the most accurate "out of the box high power rifle" under $800.....just slap a scope on and go hunting........

Comments

• Options
    SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Austin Halleck muzzleloaders,sub 1" groups (more like .5") at 100 yards.(OK I know you were looking for center fire replies but damn,gotta love dem smokepoles!)And they look as fine as Heather Locklear on a chilly day.

Have guns,will travel
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    #1, Remington ADL Synthetic (360-415.00) #2 Savage 112V (400-?) #3 Remington Sendero GHD PS Not sure of the prices except for the ADL but all three are accurate rifles for less than 800.00!
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know some of the feelings on this board about Remington but Rem get's my vote as the most accurate out of the box gun for under $800.00
  • Options
    SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Remingtons,but what about Savage? They are said to be one of the most accurate guns out of the box.(Funny,the only Savage I've owned was a Fox BSE SxS,damn that thing was heavy)

Have guns,will travel
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savages are like glocks, ugly.
  • Options
    smokinggunsmokinggun Member Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tikka, made by Sako in my opinion is the smoothest, most accurate out of the box rifle for less than $800. The economy model has synthetic stock and blued barrel and I've seen these go for $425. They will keep up with a $1200 Sako all day long. Smooth as silk bolt, and perfect adjustable trigger. My 30-06 with Pentax scope and factory ammo shoots 1/2" groups easy. It's hard to beat Finnish made quality.
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought two rifles last year.A Howa 1500 in.243stainles cost $348.Bought Remington sendero .300 win mag.After spending two weeks with the best gunsmith I know.The remington will now shoot almost as good as the Howa.

A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    If only it were a Reminton 40x. Then I could afford one.

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage rifles are great guns out-of-the-box but do much better after some fine-tuning. This would include replacing the trigger with a Timney and replacing the stock with a McMillan. After all is said and done, this could bring you over your spending limit and at least at the price level of a good Remington Sendero.

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you can get your hands on a bore scope,Take a look at some of the barrels coming from Remington.I have seen rice fields plowed smoother.

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington Sendero. I ragged hole @ 100yds right out of the box.

When in doubt...empty the magazine!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JustC,I never doupt you,Just wish I had got the same barrel you did.

• Options
    edited November -1
    varmint hunter, My advice is SEND IT BACK. If there is one thing I learned while working for large, customer satisfaction oriented companys, it is that if you complian enough, you WILL get what you want. I would send the barrel/gun back to remington and tell them of the 20 (or whatever number you want to insert) remingtons you own this one absolutely sux. They will replace it, I bet the bank on it. make them give you what you payed for, I love remington 700's, but if I get one that won't group right, it goes back for repair or replace. NO COMPROMISE.

• Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i dont see Winchester model 70s mentioned so i guess i will
    i have a mod70 in .270 that will shoot 130 gr noz balistic tips sub 1/2" moa easy and also have a heavy barrel mod 70 in 243 that will do as good or better these are older guns made in the mid 70s and mid 80s
    but i also have a ruger mkII vt 22-250 that shoot very good also it can do 1/2"moa also
    but i am bias towards winchester though. guess that is what i grew up with.
    i better get back to farming just come in to check the grain mkts
    doc

I dont give my guns without somebody getting hurt!
    I know where my beef comes from.do you know where yours comes from???....mexico,austraila,the UK,south america...???? dont know do you, demand country of origin labling for your food!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JustC,Should have took your advice. I sent it to the top gunsmith I know.After he did his thing it won the first 1000yrd match it was shot in. From now on,A bore scope will go down all my new ones before the first shot.Thanks.

• Options
    edited November -1
    I knew I remembered correctly when I thought it was you who won the 1000yd match with a Sendero. I was telling another member about the Sendero a couple of days ago, and told him I knew of one that won a 100yd match. It was a 300 win mag Right? Great shooting!!!!

How was the headspacing from the factory?
    Did you have the action bedded?
    Any pillars added even though it has the HS stock?
    Any more floating?
    I have toyed with the idea of getting mine "tweaked" by the gunsmith.

Edited by - JustC on 04/30/2002 12:04:34
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JustC e-mail me at rrobison@gt.rr.com Ill give you the full meal deal.

• Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...??? not one mention of a Browning?....my brother has a 25-06 stainless stalker,...it's a nice shooter, I was impressed.

Anyone had experience with a "boss" on a Browning or Winchester?
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    My vote is for Ruger No. 1. Liked the first so well I bought another. Sweeeeeet.

"We become what we habitually do. If we act rightly, we become upright men. If we habitually act wrongly, or weakly, we become weak and corrupt" - *ARISTOTLE*

**Like Grandad used to say--"It'll feel better when it quits hurtin"
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage is the most accurate I have used.The reason I use Rugers and Savage is an experience I had with Remingtons customer service about 20 years ago.They make a pretty good rifle,and maybe their attitude has improved with their customers,but I am still POed at them.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just got in from the range this evening, my Savage 10 Tactical in 308 shot a five shot group at 100 yards that I could cover with a quarter. This was with a 165 grain PSP and 4064 powder. Bushnell Elite 3x9x40 scope, leupold rings and base.

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
  • Options
    bill2740bill2740 Member Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Browning A-Bolt II with the BOSS system. It may take a 100
    rounds to get the correct (tune) setting, but it is worth it
    . A great 'beanfield' rifle.
    I have two, both 300 Win Mag w/BOSS. One zeroed in with 150 gr
    bullets, the other 180 gr bullets.

Bill
  • Options
    texshootertexshooter Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my vote : Rem 700VSSF with Leupold 4x12 in .308 Had excellent bench groups many times. Tie vote : Sako

My bro. used to run a gun shop. I have tried many different guns, even 3 new Ruger 77. Never again. Think their barrells are made out of re-bar
    I know this will cause flames, bit I can take it :)
  • Options
    gjgj Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Damn:

Those Glock/savages sure are ugly!

Ditto the Howa and Savages, varmint models run $450 - $500.00 in my area. gj.

www.moaammo.com moa@reloader.net

Edited by - gj on 05/01/2002 10:28:11