In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Genius at the Range

niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2002 in General Discussion
I saw this the other day at my local range.

Some guy was shooting his handgun. Couldn't tell exactly what it was, but it was in 40S&W. Anyhow, when he racked the slide, he put HIS ENTIRE PALM over the business end of the barrel when he racked. It dragged over the barrel and was still flush against the hole when the gun was chambered and ready to fire. The genius had his finger on the trigger on top of that.

I let him finish the mag before I sent him outside to talk to the foreman for some refresher safety tips.

My gun is prettier than yours, and it's a Glock!

Comments

• Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats pretty funny!

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I had this funny experience on the Mortar range in Korea in the 60,s
    That compares to the stupid act of your range fellow.

If your up on mortars, the 4.2 is fired by a shotgun shell, when dropped into the tube the force of decent and the primer being struck by a firing pin at the bottom propells the round out,

Every now and then ya might get one hung in the tube, Well it happened to me. Going by the book, cleared out the gun crew, bent away from the tube and commenced to kick the hell out of it, in an attempt to dislodge the round and make it fire.

A Greenhorn Rear admin major, hollered at me to stop kicking the mortar, and I instantly told him to stay back that a round had hung in the tube,, DUMB * actually came over and looked down the tube,
    His words were "damned if it aint stuck" he barely turned away when the round slid down the tube and fired,, Talk about some Messy Pants,

Best laugh I ever had. LR
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I don't know. It was funny a first, then, not so funny!

Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    mcneely77mcneely77 Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once at the range, I had a couple drunks (one was holding two beers, I assumed one was for the shooter) trying to get a lead round out of a blackpowder .50 with a staightened coat hangar. I asked them if they were stupid, when he told me that it couldn't fire because there was no percussion cap, then he looked down and saw that there was one, he had forgotten to take it off. Even without the cap, I wouldn't try it, not to mention ruining your barrel with a steel coat hangar.

Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.

IALEFI, ASLET, NRA, and proud owner of a pair of S&W revolvers.
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a couple of guys at the range i frequent trying to figure out how to chamber a round in their new semi auto, after a few minutes they walked up to me with the gun pointed at me. after telling them several times to point the gun down range when that didnt work i packed up to leave. was up at the counter talking to the manager when they came up and they were asked to leave till they take a safety class.
  • Options
    muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago, I was giving instructions in Bullseye pistol to some college student. After extensive on-hands instructions with my unloaded 1911 .45, I loaded the weapon with one round and was standing to his right as he brought the gun up to shoot slow fire. At that moment, he turned and pointed the .45 right at my face and said, "Here, take my watch off". I believe it was at that moment that I soiled myself. However, I managed to jam my left hand between the hammer and the slide and take it away from him. Never again......
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Me and a huntin buddie of mine do something at the range that get's alot of attention if someone shows up while we are shootin. They call us totally stupid, I wouldnt say stupid, we just have a lot of trust for each other. When we go shootin our mouseguns in for groundhogs instead of running back and forth to the 200yd target we just grab up our Talkabouts and one of us stands about 20 yds off to the side and front of the target and watch the hits and radio back. We don't have a spotting scope that will allow us to see .22 cal holes in paper at 200yds so this makes life a little easier on us. There is a woodsline off the side of the range so the trees keep us guarded. We have been doing stuff like this for a long time and it doesnt bother us the least little bit but man you should hear the other guys! BTW, I never said we rednecks was smart.
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    I think you could save some bandwidth and drop the 7MM from your name.

Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm....buy the scope. I would miss your posts here....
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But if I change my name again I would lose my stars

I thought about buying a spotting scope but the good ones cost too dang much. I have a cheapy that is supposed to be 40x but your lucky to see holes from a .54 cal ML at 50 yds with it. One day we was doin that and some dude gave is some of those Shoot'n'see targets, now dem things was cool as heck! Didn't need to stand out yonder and look for them.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm, myself and a shooting partner do the same thing. Chambering one round by hand at a time, and having been shooting with each other for a number of years, it works well for us. Just have to be sure your shooting partner is as safe as yourself.

When in doubt...empty the magazine!!
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Hey 7mm nut, I can understand trusting your buddy, but trusting that a scope want break and an fatal accident could not happen is another item entirely.

Sorry man - I agree with Shootist3006, you should save the bandwidth if you continue this practice.

Boomer

Protect our Constitutional Rights.
  • Options
    NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One question, how do these folks respond when you tell them they are a danger to themselves and everyone else? I have friends like this and I won't allow them to point an auto pistol with the slide back and no magazine in any direction other than down range. They think I am extreme. I want to stay alive.
  • Options
    niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NOTPARS, It hink you need new shooting friends. Ditch the accidents-waiting-to-happen and give one of us a call when you go shoot!

My gun is prettier than yours, and it's a Glock!