In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AK47

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
whats the ups and downs on teh ak74 vs ak47 [?]

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Ok I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these things just to see what y'alls talking about. Somebody please enlighten me as to what is a good deal and what makes the difference from accepting HI CAP mags. I have been looking thru the auctions on here and I see a big difference in price with them and some are advertised as accepting HI CAPS, whats the diff?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am planning to purchase an AK47 and am wondering if there is a certain one that stands out from the others or are there any to stay away from. With all the clones its hard to sort them all out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are they available
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am new to the AK-47 market not ever owning one but have been looking into getting one. Can someone tell me what to look for and the best made one. I found this one seems like a good deal but i don't know

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=81190621
  • Options
    niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Romanian SAR-1 that accepts the double stack mags. I love it, and if you are planning to get one sometime, I recommend you do sometime soon because they are going up in price fast.AS far as I know, the only diff between the single/double stack models is, well... just that. They only accept one or the other. I'd stick with the double stack for two major reasons: first, higher capacity in double stack, second, the double stack mags are interchangeable. On a earlier post I read that they don't mix, for example a Romanian single stack AK will not fit a bulgarian single stack mag, whereas my double stack accepts em all.If you don't want to spend the big bucks on the pre-ban Russian or Norinco models, get the Romanian. It's a distant third, but still the best of the variants I hear. You should be able to get one with 1-10rd mag, 1-30rd mag, new in box for less than $300 on auction. Also, do a search in "Ask the Experts" for Ak's. They give some great specific there too.
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • Options
    pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    I just got an Egyptian Maadi. I got that one because with the romanian, you have to do some slight modifications in order to change stocks and some other parts. I took it to the range saturday and had a blast with it. Paid $370 for it with one ten round mag at a gun shop. figured it get it faster and save the trouble of paying shipping and ffl transfer fees. Ammo is cheap, plentiful, and it eats anything. I am by no means an expert on guns, but this is the simplest thing I have seen yet.one other thing...I posted a few days ago asking about the mags for the egyptian if you decide to get one of those. The romanian has enough american parts in it so it doesnt affect that one, but the egyptian one, doesnt have as many. So if you buy mags for it, you have to buy american made followers and floorplates. I've seen them for sale between $7 and $10[This message has been edited by pikeal1 (edited 03-18-2002).]
  • Options
    ADfreeADfree Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I strongly urge you to buy an SAR-1... I love mine so much that my handle on a few other sites is SAR-1guy. As a matter of fact it is sitting right next to me now. That is unless you want to spend way more for one of the prebans. I have inspected a preban chicom one that was very nice, except for some scuffing and scraping on the stock.No matter what you do get a double-stacked mag one. Sorta pointless having an AK with wimpy 10 rounders.
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A guy on GunBrokers.com has a s**t load of them. I just bought one for $283.00. 1-10rd & 1-30rd mag plus all the extras. Better Hurry Up. Time, Tide and Auctions wait for no Man.
    Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself![This message has been edited by RugerNiner (edited 03-18-2002).]
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    madminutemadminute Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had several Norinco and right now have a Romanian SAR-3 in 5.56 (AK-74 chambered for US ammo)....there is a reason that people fight wars with this rifle successfully in the most desolate, God forsaken, extreme areas of the planet, where gunsmiths are non existant, maintenance is zero, and ammo is usually of dubious origin....you can't make these things quit. You can blast away with them for hours with few if any hang ups. They are made so incredibly simple that a person with a 2 year old's mentality could field strip and assemble it...and at reasonable combat ranges I dare you to out-shoot it with any issue-grade AR-15...and if you're actually in the deep *, it's made of steel and wood like a REAL rifle so bashing skulls with it actually is an option...definitely find yourself an AK. After your first trip to the field with it, you'll have to stop yourself from laughing. Oh, and one added note...most I've had had VERY crisp and light triggers, meaning you can blaze away in perfectly legal semi-auto almost as fast as another rifle in rock-n-roll mode. Your only possible drawback will be the size if you're a big guy. The stocks are all short if you are taller than 5'8", but there are kits to fix that too...plus there is a TON of ammo and accessories on the market from both China and ex-Eastern bloc countries for embarassingly low prices....hey, just go buy one..it's a win-win..you'll sell it for more than you paid for it if you hate it.
  • Options
    travelortravelor Member Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the romanian one..and I have the most ausome holo sight..."cobra" made to clip right onto the side mount. you can change the retical to any of three or four patterns, and varying degrees of brightness. Talk about rapid target aquisition!!
    keep lots of extra uppers for your ar..you can change often enough to keep the thing from over heating...what ever caliber fits the moment..~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Chinese Mak 90 and a Russian Saiga.Both are very nice but to be honest with you the Chinese MAK 90 is better quality than the new Saiga Russian AK. Lots of fun with both of them tho! Get them while you can.
  • Options
    changdaochangdao Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I`ve got an even dozen and I love `em all! A blast to shoot, no recoil to talk about, easy to field strip and clean, and cheap to shoot! And, you can`t break `em with a stick!
    No good deed goes unpunished
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Suddenly, just having one doesn't seem to be enough!
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • Options
    cheezecheeze Member Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought one and I shopped around for a while before I did. In the time I spent shopping I found the Chinese models to be nicer than the Romanian and Egyption models. I'm sure all three will fire till the bitter end but the parts are just nicer on the Chinese ones. Also, if you are anywhere over 5'5'' get one with a thumbhole stock. It'll fit you better.All your troublesThey will mealt awayJust as soon as youShoot your brand new AK
    Dragon's Lair Fighting Arts, Dragon Style Wind Fist Kung Fu.
  • Options
    OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    7mm the Chinese Norinco is the best AK for the money. They also have the best magazines that will work in any AK. Before you buy the AK call Dan at sales@AK47world.com 303-341-0847 this man knows more about Klasnikov Rifles than anyone that I have ever talked to. He will tell you that the Russian and Bulgarian are very good as well with the Milled Steel Receiver but for the money the Chinese is the way to go.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the tips. Only problem now is there are TOO DANG MANY listed here. I would like to stay under $300 and I don't want to be limited to 10 rounds. I didnt know they had rifles that took different mags, I thought they was all the same. Thanks for clearing that up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One more thing, this gun won't cause any problems with my ar's will it? Is it safe to put it in the same cabinet as the bushy's without ww3 starting in there?
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uh, 7mm ya need ta interduce them ta each other an take 'em ta tha range fer a shootin contest, then they get along jist fine as long as evrybody knows tha ars are the boss. There are still some out there for less than $300. I just received mine. Cost $303 including shipping and transfer.
    PC=BS[This message has been edited by badboybob (edited 03-22-2002).]
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, I've owned a lot of AK's, but because of the lack of accuracy inherrant to the design I dont have one any longer and don't anticipate getting another ... however if I were to go to war it would likely be my weapon of choice.In MY opinion you can't do any better than the Hungarian AK, The prettiest wood and best fit & finish and heaviest standard barrel of the entire AK family ... the Pre-Ban Hungarian underfolder is the cream of the crop!My reccomendations:1. Hungarian - pre or post (if you can find one)2. Bulgarian milled - all are postban I think3. Norinco - stamped or milled, pre or postThe Veper is ok, I've looked at them but never shot one, don't care for the plastic furniture ... looks cheezy to me.The SAR's, from what I've heard commonly need "tweeking" which suggests to me they are thrown together to meet the demand, but seem to be ok after that ... all the same, I'm out on those too.The Egyptians aren't even a choice in my book and are the poorest of all, crappy wood, sloppy finish and pathetic fit ... You young guys, don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think many of you have seen what the AK used to be ... pre-89... ok, flame away!
    Here's a thought: Let's make criminals responsible for their crimes ... ...Not blame society and the tools they use!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wish I had that luxury Kimberkid. It would have been a lot of fun for sure.
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com