In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Texas Red Chili

Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
Thought I would post this again for those of you who haven't seen it. It's been a hit in the past with forum members. It is a recipe my family has used for over 40 years. Needless to say, we like it-- hope you do too.

Rafter-S

TEXAS RED CHILI

6 lbs. Meat (I use deer or wild hog)
4 oz. Olive oil
20 cloves garlic
6 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
9 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons cayenne red pepper
6 tablespoons paprika
6 tablespoons flour
12 tablespoons cornmeal

Note: Adjust the "heat" with the chili powder and cayenne red pepper. Using only 6 tablespoons of chili powder and 1 teaspoon of cayenne red pepper makes it where the less adventurous can eat it.

Heat olive oil in large pot until hot; add meat - stirring constantly until gray (not brown). Add 2 quarts of water. Cook at a bubbling simmer until done (1 to 1-1/2 hours). Add all ingredients except flour and cornmeal. Cook 30 minutes at same temperature. Mix flour and corn meal with 1 cup of water then add to chili, cooking 5 more minutes. Add more water for desired consistency.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Here's the chili recipe my family has used for almost 50 years. This is the first time I have made it public.TEXAS RED CHILI6 lbs. Meat (I use deer)4 oz. Olive oil20 cloves garlic6 teaspoons salt2 tablespoons sugar9 tablespoons chili powder2 teaspoons cumin2 teaspoons oregano2 teaspoons cayenne red pepper6 tablespoons paprika6 tablespoons flour12 tablespoons cornmeal(Note: You can adjust the chili powder and cayenne red pepper to control the heat.)Heat olive oil in large pot until hot, add meat - stirring constantly until gray (not brown). Add 2 quarts of water. Cook at a bubbling simmer until done (1 to 1-1/2 hours). Add all ingredients except flour and cornmeal. Cook 30 minutes at same temperature. Mix flour and corn meal in 1 cup of water then add to chili, cooking 5 more minutes. Add more water for desired consistency.Let me know how you like it:Rafter-S bsebast@airmail.net
  • Options
    daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    I hear say- the northerners put chocolate in there chile- is that true?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    daddo-- I was a judge for a chili cook-off on a couple of occasions and I was amazed at what some folks put in chili. Yes, I have heard of chocolate in the recipe...it is probably used where the sugar is in mine. To each his own. My chili is pretty hot for some folks' taste. To tame it a little, cut the chili powder to 6 tablespoons and the cayenne red pepper to 1 teaspoon. It's still hot, but then the women and children can eat it.Rafter-S[This message has been edited by Rafter-S (edited 03-02-2002).]
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you have chocolate mixed up with coffee.
    Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't eat the stuff but I'm curious about trying to make some for the wifey. I want to surprise her with some real HOT chili. Where can I get some of that hot sauce I see mentioned from time to time? Where I live here in PA hot sauce is not that popular. Somebody give me a real Texan recipie that will peel paint while it's being cooked. I need to pay her back for ruining my deer roast last month.
  • Options
    Captain 241Captain 241 Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you use crackers in your chili try this for a change. Pop some Popcorn and put it in place of crackers you'll love it.
    If you need a Second Shot, YOU NEED MORE PRACTICE