In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Heritage .22

mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in General Discussion
Looks like a good deal- reviews are good. Any feedback greatly appreciated. Mostly for starting the grandkids on shooting and can shooting while camping.
http://www.GunBroker.com/item/701306653

Comments

• Options
    tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    I picked one up for a good friend of mine last as a gift and so far he loves it. shoots good and no issues. he ordered the 22 mag cyc and it worked great. I bought it new I think for around 160-170 bucks out the door
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    got one of the buntline 22's..reset the barrel to a gap of 0.003-4" and good to go
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My nephew bought one with the interchangeable cylinders. It was a nice looking gun, but he did have some problems. The hammer was not made of very hard steel and after many rounds fired (thousands? IDK), it wore a groove in the hammer so bad the gun would not fire. My brother who is a machinist fixed the gun, but was shocked at how soft the metal was. He said after seeing that, he would never buy anything made by Heritage. I think the specific model was Rough Rider. This could be an isolated incident, but I am very wary of them from this experience.

Don
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a rough rider saa .22 with both cylinders in the mid 90's when the company had just started up.

At the time I believe dealer cost was around $60 or $70 and we brought a bunch of varieties into the gunshop for sale.

That came in a wooden box.

Quality was plinking and teaching - hobby sport shooting

Not cheap garbage - not high end items

Mine is an early production piece and has seen some use.

I sent it back to heritage and they replaced the hand (little piece that rotates the cylinder) and the hammer.

The gun does show wear from use.

For the price and what usage I have gotten from it I think it's a great deal.

Using the magnum cylinder really beats you and the gun up - it's astounding how hot and powerful the .22 magnum rimfire is.

Super fun gun - meant to be shot / used / enjoyed.

That's my experience and opinion.

Mike
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the feedback!!
  • Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got one of these last spring; a fun plinker. It's supposed to be along the style of the Colt peacemaker/single action army. In a dimly lit room with one eye squinting, it is. After about 500 rounds with no problems I think it's a keeper. Mine was $129.00 at Dunhams and did not have the 22 Mag cylinder. But the box included a flyer from the factory offering one for $29.95 plus shipping. Probably won't buy one. Accuracy is okay - not a tack driver but not spray and pray either. Lock up is tight. Fit and finish is good. It's not a Single Six but it's a far cry from cheap junk (Hi Point comes to mind). Now that 22 ammo is available again I wanted a plinker and this one will do just fine.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    I bought one, with the .22 LR cylinder only, for around $100 for my godson to play with.

So far, no problems, but I have my eye out for a replacement, maybe a Colt, Ruger, or Smith & Wesson.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad has one...at 62 he enjoys it. A hoot to shoot.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plus you get uncle sy (spelling) as a product endorser - advertiser - spokesman...

A ducks dynasty model perhaps???

Mike
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen them at Dunhams for $129 for the 22 and $159 for the mag version. I ended up buying the derringer in 38 special.