In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I Live in a World of Wonder

p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
edited October 2017 in General Discussion
I enjoy this time of year as my property is a haven for life. I use no pesticides and maybe a gallon of herbicide a year. Birds, squirrels, insects, reptiles, and arachnids all have a safe haven.

I've identified my yard spiders as banana, orchard, and Florida crab. They build their webs normally where I don't walk as a general rule.

The bananas I pass close by to know I'm not going to hurt them. They used to scamper off if I touched their webs. Now it doesn't faze them. Some times they'll even come to my fingers and let me lift up one of their front legs.

This year one banana built it's orb right outside the gate I go to the Honda through. Every night he would bring his web down to about five feet and I would have to demolish the bottom to get through. This banana is one that lets me lift his leg and stroke his back without fleeing. I kept telling him to build his web higher and I put a beetle in his web yesterday that he promptly cocooned.

This morning the web was almost six feet up! I only had to slightly stoop to get under it without damage.

I wish to God I knew when I was a kid what I know now. Some things need killing, but a helluva lot of things don't, more not than do.

Everything is here for a reason although poison snakes and gators will live if they're somewhere besides here. I don't give a damn if this sounds hoaky, some of you will know what I'm talking about.

One year I befriended a female praying mantis. Every afternoon she would be waiting for me on the same limb of the same fir tree. It saddened me after a cold snap that I never saw her again. She would walk up my arm and across my shoulders and down the other arm back to the branch.

Sometimes life just awes the Hell out of me and I don't care who knows. Life is good. [:I]

Comments

• Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, the world is a wondrous place if one takes time, slows down, and stops to smells the Roses
  • Options
    Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the world. :-)
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...thread has sexual connotations..."she walked up and down my arm....oooohhh man, was that redeeming......she let me lift her.....[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    And folks give me grief over all the seemingly random hunks of wood and metal strewn strategically about my property.
    They don't see the hundreds of critters that have adopted my "landscaping", or the 45 or so LBQTSR lizards cruising stealthily for the other wildlife.
    There is a Large Robin that has taken over the branch in my fruiting Mulberry that the Rufous Hummer built a nest on. Haven't seen the Rufous for 2 years.
    The dead tree collects these tiny yellow birds (about 2 1/2" without tail) that someone said were like wrens, but from South America.
    The Grackles used to mob & harass them, but the yellows are VERY territorial, and have sharp little beaks.
    It's cool every Spring, to watch the birds wrassle the spiders for nest material; sometimes the birds flit away with passengers on their stolen spiderwebs!
    Wouldn't want to live without critters.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    And folks give me grief over all the seemingly random hunks of wood and metal strewn strategically about my property.
    They don't see the hundreds of critters that have adopted my "landscaping", or the 45 or so LBQTSR lizards cruising stealthily for the other wildlife.
    There is a Large Robin that has taken over the branch in my fruiting Mulberry that the Rufous Hummer built a nest on. Haven't seen the Rufous for 2 years.
    The dead tree collects these tiny yellow birds (about 2 1/2" without tail) that someone said were like wrens, but from South America.
    The Grackles used to mob & harass them, but the yellows are VERY territorial, and have sharp little beaks.
    It's cool every Spring, to watch the birds wrassle the spiders for nest material; sometimes the birds flit away with passengers on their stolen spiderwebs!

I knew someone would be at the proper frequency to relate. I've seen directions to build a bug and lizard habitat out of stacked up wooden pallets and straw. It's too late to get it up and occupied before winter, but I'll build it in the spring.
    Sounds like you have a grand ole opera going on every afternoon.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...mine is natural, in the swamp I live in...
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My neighbors wonder why I have a big brush pile in the back of my property when the rest of the yard is tip top.

They also wonder why I have so many bunnies in my yard.

I like bunnies. [^]
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505

I knew someone would be at the proper frequency to relate. I've seen directions to build a bug and lizard habitat out of stacked up wooden pallets and straw. It's too late to get it up and occupied before winter, but I'll build it in the spring.
    Sounds like you have a grand ole opera going on every afternoon.

Mo betta da kine!!
    Now I have time to become reacquainted with the myriad fauna that's prevalent in my Domain; I'm up at the first hacking cough from the neighbor's rooster around 4:30ish, and down for the night right after the bats swarm the street light on the corner.
    Over the last 35 years, I've snagged small "souvenir" cacti, grasses, bushes and rocks from my travels around the state; they add to the "organic" and "natural" habitat, and represent a miniature sand table of the state...in my yard.
    Couldn't get away with the bed full of gypsum from White Sands Missile Range, but there's a replica of Victorio Peak (where Doc Noss was alleged to have discovered Geronimo's gold cache) right where scale says it oughta be. The lizards love it.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We practically throw out no food in the trash, it all goes in the yard near the fence. Gotta keep an eye on that because if we let the cats out we have to know what is out there first.