In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

First handgun ... home and overall protection

Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
edited December 2016 in General Discussion
I was born into a household that used guns for hunting and sport. I have protection through out house(shotgun, base ball bat, knives) but as I am getting up in years feel I need more handy protection IE hand gun. I have shot every thing from 22 to .50 cal 270 striker. I love wheel guns and favor the little four ten snub nose and I think .41 mag. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh this should roil the waters............. I'll start. Either of the Ruger family's SP 101 or GP 100 in .357 magnum
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My thought is, if you live somewhere that you feel the need to have protection throughout the house, what you really need is a good perimeter alarm system. If the alarm goes off, you can just get your shotgun & wait.

Neal
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your choice should be the one you like best. My choice would be a used S&W 66 pre-lock.

Even if two or more of us agree (never happen) you won't like it as much as the one you like best.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put in some audio mics so you can hear clearly the intruder screaming when the dog bites them. Then pic up the shotgun and see what the problem is.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a 75 year old guy win an auction for a Smith and Wesson 500 this past Sunday. He thought it might make a good self defense gun. After he talked to his son he learned this was a bad idea and agreed that he might not need to be shopping on line for guns he doesn't know anything about.

We keep a loaded shotgun by the bed, Larry's Glock is on his desk and I pick a random thing to carry until someone says "have you got a _____" and I end up selling it.

Its good to have SOMETHING you can get to if you needed to.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have friends with handguns, ask them to go to the range with you and try a variety out. Some "fit" better in the hand while at the gun counter, yet rap a knuckle or pinch a finger when shot.
    Others, like the .41 mag, has ammo that isn't always found everywhere and recoil pretty stoutly when fired for a first-time handgun buyer.
    The Judge-Governor style .410 handguns are truly a niche gun, and really aren't all that great when shooting .45 Colt nor when shooting .410 loads. They fire the rounds they're chambered for, but the idea seems to be fancier than the actual performance IMHO.

For an older person, look at a good 4" barreled .38 or .357 revolver like the ones suggested, and maybe even a Glock 19-sized 9mm semi-auto (S&W M&P, Ruger American, etc).

I always suggest someone find what best fits your hand in the store and (most importantly) on the range, and fits your wallet $$. Once you've made a personal choice about what works best for you go from there.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    I had a 75 year old guy win an auction for a Smith and Wesson 500 this past Sunday. He thought it might make a good self defense gun. After he talked to his son he learned this was a bad idea and agreed that he might not need to be shopping on line for guns he doesn't know anything about.

We keep a loaded shotgun by the bed, Larry's Glock is on his desk and I pick a random thing to carry until someone says "have you got a _____" and I end up selling it.

500_zpscq4aoats.jpg
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Skip the .45 LC/.410 shotshell revolvers. I've range tested them for bullet and pellet performance. They are strictly a gimmick. The rifling causes donut patterns with the pellets and the long cylinders cause the .45 bullet to have to make a long jump before engaging the forcing cone, resulting in poor accuracy. Suggest you get a good revolver in .38 or larger. You use that to give you time to get to your real shotgun. The two in combination will give you just about as good a home defense set up as you can get. [:)]
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    While I love my Ruger Blackhawk .41 mag, as stated above, finding ammo is a PITA and quite costly.
  • Options
    AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The combination of a big protective dog and almost any gun will let you sleep well at night.
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second the S&W 66 2.5", or a 4 in. .357 Ruger or S&W but a Taurus revolver is fine.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer a .45 ACP, but also keep an S&W 686 in .357 mag handy.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A revolver like the S&W Model 66 .357 Mag is hard to beat.

I have 4 of these Bunker Hill motion detectors below at the exterior doors of my house and at the steps up to my back deck and basement garage door.

I have the monitors in my bedroom and living room. I can tell by the number of times the alarm sounds and lights up which location someone is at.

You just have to purchase the monitors with different serial numbers so they alarm differently so you will know which ones are going off. I have 2 with one serial number and 2 others with a different serial number that way I know if it's the front or the back of the house the alarm is picking up something.

They have a long battery life. I've had them in place since May of this year and haven't had to replace any batteries.

You can find them on sale at Harbor Freight sometimes for $9.99.

62447_zzz_500.jpg
  • Options
    MillironMilliron Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gotta go with Don, kinda. 1911 in 9mm and a Ruger security 6
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If possible try to shoot before you buy. quote:Originally posted by Blade Slinger
    I was born into a household that used guns for hunting and sport. I have protection through out house(shotgun, base ball bat, knives) but as I am getting up in years feel I need more handy protection IE hand gun. I have shot every thing from 22 to .50 cal 270 striker. I love wheel guns and favor the little four ten snub nose and I think .41 mag. Any ideas?
  • Options
    Irish 8802Irish 8802 Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    Your choice should be the one you like best. My choice would be a used S&W 66 pre-lock.

Even if two or more of us agree (never happen) you won't like it as much as the one you like best.

I'm "not getting up in years",,I have arrived..I too like the S&W mod 66,(I have 3) they fit my arthritic hands better. Can load up or down as the situation dictates.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep either my model 25 45acp or model 629 loaded with 44 special handy for my house guns I like the big bore slower velocity for home defense
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello - as others have suggested - please try several different ones if possible and see which one works best for you. I have all kinds of Smith&Wesson revolvers from 22lr to 45 Colt. We keep S&W chief's specials on each side of my wife's and my side of the headboard loaded with Hornady critical defense ammunition - but there is also a shotgun on each side of the bed which would be the first choice if the situation permits.
    My S&W in 41 magnum is quite heavy and the recoil is stiff even with a handgun that is heavy. Ammunition isn't readily available at the local hardware - I have to get it here on GunBroker.
    Best Regards - AQH
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by likemhot
    Oh this should roil the waters............. I'll start. Either of the Ruger family's SP 101 or GP 100 in .357 magnum
    This ^^
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,124 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    some 3-4 in double action revolver. . 357 would do nicely.
    If there is a lady that might need to use it autos are a handful just to rack the slide.
    My vote is a S&W
    Ros
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd get a bone stock and ugly handgun that functions 100% with the favorite round you don't mind surrendering to the cops after the shooting. Might look in to low flash rounds just incase you need to shoot again at the survivor I mean bad guy(s).
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went thru the same process, and selected the Ruger sp101 3"as my carry.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,425 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first and favorite revolver is a Ruger SP101. And please don't call me old!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im another supporter of the Smith 66.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Really? Leave a loaded handgun on your desk with a son that shoots holes in the building? Give me a break.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PMS and or Menopause.[;)]
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would check into local gun shops that have ranges and allow to shoot multiple handguns to choose the one you like , most everyone has a favorite , bottom line reliable and you feel comfortable using
    it. semi auto pistols are my favorite but a good wheel gun is just about fool proof and reliable to a fault
    hard to beat a shotgun especially a pump,, everyone knows the sound of a racking pump shotgun [:0][:0][:0] it seems to have a heart rate jump effect .
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going to sound like a broken record here. Get a 4" K frame .357, a model 19, 65, 66. I've got a .41, it rests in the safe. The .410 revolvers are a gimmick. I have a bunch of .38 specials around the house and a 4" model 65 handy.

The K frames are lighter than the Ns and are very adequate.
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .357 any good brand you like, shoot .38 special if you need to. IMO not a better handgun for a house gun like you are looking for.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    many guns in many places...[:o)]
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Find a gun shop that has a range and rents firearm. Handle a bunch of them. Shoot a bunch of them. The one that fits you best, and that you are most comfortable shooting is what you should get. Don't limit yourself to what us dummies on the internet tell ya! Find a gun that fits you and don't go into it with too many pre-conceived notions. (Other than BOO on Taurus, you can take that one to the bank!)
    For myself, I have a Glock 23 (.40 S&W) somewhere near at hand when I'm home.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,356 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by AzAfshin
    The combination of a big protective dog and almost any gun will let you sleep well at night.
    Yep. and what James said about a model 66. A model 19 is plenty acceptable too!

wundudnee also nailed it, and throw a model 13 in the mix as well.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    For the distances you may encounter INSIDE THE HOUSE, the Judge-style combo guns will be fine. You won't be busting clays at 25 yards with it, and any minor grouping problems go away if you're shooting minute-of-intruder.
    You didn't say whether you are in a rural or urban area, so keep in mind that the vaunted 357 will penetrate walls. Shot (even from a Taurus) usually won't.
    A nice Mossberg 500 12ga with a 18" barrel and pistol grip is almost a handgun, and it beats a rarified caliber in an overpriced "name brand".
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork

500_zpscq4aoats.jpg

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any Smith,Ruger or Colt centerfire revolver is a good choice.
    If you take the time to wring them out semi-autos work too.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also,who is going after your overalls?
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends what room I'd be in if someone trys to enter. I've got guns scattered in every room in the house and basement.