In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

great american race, huh??

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in General Discussion
so i see on the news that a reporter is being slammed for a racist by saying something about it being a little weird for a japanese driver winning the indy. i told my son the same thing yesterday, a japanese driver, with a japanese engine, on japanese tires winning the great american race.

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Ability defeats racism.

I don't see anything racist about speaking the truth. Never will.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought it was a little strange too.
    RLTW

• Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One could argue that if you comment that a Japanese man won the Indy 500, it IS a tiny bit racist. If you were blind to race, you wouldn't.

The important thing is whether it matters to you or not. Noticing it isn't inherently racist, any more than it would be sexist to note that a woman raced. Those are simply facts. If gender or race matters to you, then you deserve the title of sexist or racist.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,026 ******
    edited November -1
    ....so,what race do you need to be,to be Merican???
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    ....so,what race do you need to be,to be Merican???

exactly
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's still an "American Race" just not an American winner.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He is a citizen of Japan. What does race have to do with anything?

?Nothing specifically personal, but I am very uncomfortable with a Japanese driver winning the Indianapolis 500 during Memorial Day weekend."

He is clearly speaking of the guy being a citizen of the country that bombed Pearl Harbor and committed countless atrocities during WWII against US service members/POWs, juxtaposed with the day we honor our military KIAs.

Edit: at least he won in a Honda, not a Mitsubishi.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,971 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cce1302
    He is a citizen of Japan. What does race have to do with anything?

?Nothing specifically personal, but I am very uncomfortable with a Japanese driver winning the Indianapolis 500 during Memorial Day weekend."

He is clearly speaking of the guy being a citizen of the country that bombed Pearl Harbor and committed countless atrocities during WWII against US service members/POWs, juxtaposed with the day we honor our military KIAs.

Edit: at least he won in a Honda, not a Mitsubishi.
    or a Chevy, but then he would need to be a chinaman [:D][;)]
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tons of drivers in that race are from another Country...England, New Zealand, Brazil, Japan, Spain, Columbia, Australia, Canada, along with the USA are represented.

Yes, most were allied with us in WWII, but who cares what nationality the driver is as long as they race hard and fair.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Riomouse911
    Tons of drivers in that race are from another Country...England, New Zealand, Brazil, Japan, Spain, Columbia, Australia, Canada, along with the USA are represented.

Yes, most were allied with us in WWII, but who cares what nationality the driver is as long as they race hard and fair.
    Bngo!
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's an American race nobody said that the drivers had to be. On the other hand I was watching some Americas Cup last night and the crew of the Japan entry were most certainly not Japanese. They were a mix of mostly Brits, Aussies and Kiwis. Like the Olympics I think that if you have a race with teams representing a specific country at least some percentage of the team should be from that country.

I also found it interesting that the Indy cars were powered only by Honda and Chevy. Honda seemed to have cratered more than a few during the course of the race.
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dont get me wrong i dont care what nationality he is, i just thought it was ironic. his post race interview was excellent, much better than anything Kyle Busch has ever said.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The part that is interesting about Sato winning, is that for those who have watched Indy for years, 'the Japanese driver' has mostly been the answer to the question "Who caused that wreck?"

There have been a number of good Japanese drivers. Between their bad luck and the not-so-good Japanese drivers, there has been a lot of parts strewn across the track over the years.

That history made yesterday's result all the more novel.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...I use to follow most all racing,too many rules for me...
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by varian
    dont get me wrong i dont care what nationality he is, i just thought it was ironic. his post race interview was excellent, much better than anything Kyle Busch has ever said.

Kyle was his usual * self after the race Sunday very obama like only talking about himself and not congratulating the winner on his first win at arguably one of the more difficult races on the circuit or calling out to the winners of the F1 race and Indy as many of the other NASCAR drivers did in interviews.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    quote:Originally posted by varian

Kyle was his usual * self after the race Sunday very obama like only talking about himself and not congratulating the winner on his first win at arguably one of the more difficult races on the circuit or calling out to the winners of the F1 race and Indy as many of the other NASCAR drivers did in interviews.

very typical behavior
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was not the fact that he won the Great American race as much as it HAPPENED ON MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND. That was where there the reporter from the Denver Post was going with this.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    but it was cool when an American won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1965, or grand prix in 1966
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    It was not the fact that he won the Great American race as much as it HAPPENED ON MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND. That was where there the reporter from the Denver Post was going with this.

As long as I can remember the Indy 500 has always been on Memorial Day weekend. It used to be on Memorial Day but they moved it back so in case of getting rained out they would have more attendance.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Henry0Reilly
    quote:Originally posted by armilite

As long as I can remember the Indy 500 has always been on Memorial Day weekend. It used to be on Memorial Day but they moved it back so in case of getting rained out they would have more attendance.

Yes I know but the point still holds true.