In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun prices higher with caliber

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
edited October 2013 in General Discussion
Why do gun prices jump so much when you go to a more powerful/larger cartridge chambering?

You can pay pretty much the same price for a 30.06, a 270 and a .280, but if you jump to a 300 win mag or 7mm mag, the price is automatically about 200 to 300 more. There isn't that much additional metal.

Similarly, with auto pistols, 9mm is far cheaper than the same gun in .45. Arguably the .45 isn't more powerful, if you consider chamber pressure. So, I imagine that it's because the parts all have to be a little bigger, but come on, the size difference isn't that great. We're talking a few millimeters. But the price difference doesn't reflect a few mere millimeters of metal, does it?
Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Simple supply and demand. More common / smaller caliber guns for sale, lower prices.

Incidentally, consider Remington 700, Ruger 77, and Winchester 70. 30-06 values are within a few bucks of 7 mag values, and 300 Win Mags are a slight increase.

Actually, try to get a good buy on one of the mentioned rifles in 222 or 22-250, even 243. The smaller cartridges eeem to bring a premium. Big demand for the varmint calibers.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not in all cases. Look at 218 bee ammo. 84 bucks a box. I can buy a lot of other, larger calibers, cheaper.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not the amount of metal that changes when you manufacture a magnum, it's the chamber pressure. They basically have to re-engineer & test the entire rifle; customers tend to get cranky if their rifle blows up on them.

I've looked at .22 revolvers made by S&W & Colt, & they are bring prices that can exceed the cost of their more powerful models. Even new S&W .22's are pricey.

Neal
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think popularity and time of year. If the caliber sales are down, the gun and ammo are a little less expensive.

I got my 7mmag abolt in 2000 and it was no more expensive than the 30-06 abolt and ammo was $1 a box more.

Now, ammo is double 30-06.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey there are .22lr that run as much as a 458 Win Mag. so the original statement isn't completely true. [;)]