In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

American Semi-auto Rifle ?

worstenemy453worstenemy453 Member Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in General Discussion
I am selling my SKS and want an American rifle that shoots just as good.

I want
- Common caliber
- Good semi-auto shooter
- American made, i would love a M1 garand but i dont think i can afford one
- Looking to pay under $600 for one.

What model should i look for ?

Comments

• Options
    coltpaxcoltpax Member Posts: 8,114
    edited November -1
    I like the Ruger Mini-14s. I don't own one, but I've shot a few and I liked them.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you could slap an AR10 style (DPMS) together for near that.
    Ought to be able to do an AR too.

PS...

Keep the SKS.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well let me rephrase a tad.

I will be building an AR shortly.

I will be buying another SKS as well but i got offered $450 for mine.

I want a military style rifle like a 1903 or M1 or something. Like an American SKS pretty much but i dont know much about our military's past weapons.

i like this though.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=208947448
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're serious about an M1, it's pretty hard to beat the CMP.

http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It doesnt need to be a M1 but i definitely like them.

I dont want to buy from a dealer, i will be buying private party, but im just looking for different guns that would suit my need.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could do accuracy wise much better than a Mini 14.
  • Options
    swampgutswampgut Member Posts: 5,555
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite1015
    You could do accuracy wise much better than a Mini 14.

+1

They're too expensive and inaccurate.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is there anything else like an M1 or anything that is American made ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by huntsman53
    quote:Originally posted by worstenemy453
    Is there anything else like an M1 or anything that is American made ?

You could probably pick up an M1 Carbine in fairly decent condition with a good bore for $600 and possibly less!

I saw that i can get 30 round mags for that which is nice.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well if you want a pistol caliber round with accuracy worse than the Mini 14. And ballistics as bad as a hand grenade and at $600 or more, no less have at it. M1 carbines pretty much were good for one thing. A carbine that officers could carry in combat in jungles or where the maximum range was 100 yards or less.
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite1015
    Well if you want a pistol caliber round with accuracy worse than the Mini 14. And ballistics as bad as a hand grenade and at $600 or more, no less have at it. M1 carbines pretty much were good for one thing. A carbine that officers could carry in combat in jungles or where the maximum range was 100 yards or less.

Specially the ones who couldn't learn to hold the 1911 correctly.

(ats what I allus heard)

Allen
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    30 Carbine ammo is pretty dang expensive too.
    Steel cased ammo is available but... good luck with that.

For the price of ammo, I'd go .308 over 30 carbine.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not buy from CMP? Every CMP rifle goes up in value the minute it hits your hands. A service Grade SA is $595 plus $22 for s&h and it ships right to your front door, no FFL needed....the Fed Ex man drops it off in to your warm tingling excited little hands!

I've had a Greek loaner SA for 6-7 years I bought from CMP and it is a great shooter, its accurate and it is in nicer condition than most of the $800-900 Garands you see for sale on here
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the CMP M1 Garand. Bought a SA post war for $595.00 year before last. Beautiful gun that has been checked out before you get it. The M1 carbine is fun to shoot but is low power and semi accurate. One plus is you can shoot it at a range that limits you to pistol calibers. If I could only have one, it would be the Garand.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mark G
    +1 on the CMP M1 Garand. Bought a SA post war for $595.00 year before last. Beautiful gun that has been checked out before you get it. The M1 carbine is fun to shoot but is low power and semi accurate. One plus is you can shoot it at a range that limits you to pistol calibers. If I could only have one, it would be the Garand.

+2

got a really nice H&R Garand from CMP a few years back. Good shooter

also got a near new Remington M1903A3 from CMP, great shooter.

Mini-14 is a waste of $$$ IMHO, and the M1 Carbine, while a nice little accurate fun gun, is limited by its range and power.

The 30-06 is not a bad choice, and CMP had, in the past, good deals on surplus.

JMHO
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    Why not buy from CMP? Every CMP rifle goes up in value the minute it hits your hands. A service Grade SA is $595 plus $22 for s&h and it ships right to your front door, no FFL needed....the Fed Ex man drops it off in to your warm tingling excited little hands!

I've had a Greek loaner SA for 6-7 years I bought from CMP and it is a great shooter, its accurate and it is in nicer condition than most of the $800-900 Garands you see for sale on here

So i just pay them and they send it to me ? If thats the case then i like that.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

you need to read their elligibility requirements... http://thecmp.org/

once you meet their requirements, and your order is filled, it ships directly to your door

http://thecmp.org/m1garand.htm
  • Options
    texdottexdot Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a mimi 14 and I didn't like it,too short(for me anyway) and I didn't like how the action functioned. How about a Cetme in 308? $600

O.K. I know it's not American.
  • Options
    Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    If your mind is following the ( SHTF ) ideas and take my ideas.

Keep with a easy and common caliber where surplus ammo is cheaper and more easy to obtain.

Russian: 7.62x39 or 7.62x54r.

American: 5.56x45 or 223 and 7.62x51 or 308 .

Now if your ideas are not there go with 30-06 or in that area. 30-06 is the end all to calibers in my mind.
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...I have to go against the grain here, concerning the Mini 14. I used to have an old 180 series (made in 1976) that was deadly accurate. It especially liked a compressed load of 3031 and Speer 55 gr. SP bullets.
    ...Maybe I got the best one built that day, but I'd love to have it back. I was pretty broke back then and sold it for what I had in it....$150!..(No, I didn't say that I was "broke back")
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by shilowar

once you meet their requirements, and your order is filled, it ships directly to your door

[/quote

Thats a lot of trouble and a long time to possibly wait. Oh well.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by shilowar

[/quote

Thats a lot of trouble and a long time to possibly wait. Oh well.

It's not that much trouble when you consider what you're getting, a genuine GI-issue M1. Sure, the parts might be mixed (due to arsenal rebuilds), but it's not some frankengun that you see at gun shows, that's filled with reproduction parts disguised as genuine. If you have any problems, their customer service will do whatever it takes to make it right.

They show the waiting times now as 15 to 30 days, but sometimes it doesn't take that long. Definitely worth the wait, IMO. That isn't nearly as long as a couple years back. They were slammed there for quite a while. The big bonus is their surplus M2 ball ammo. It doesn't get any cheaper.

But then again, if you just plan on selling it right away, you might want to read up on their rules on that subject.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is exactly what I was looking for
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    I think you could slap an AR10 style (DPMS) together for near that.
    Ought to be able to do an AR too.

PS...

Keep the SKS.

A 308 upper alone costs about $650.00 with BCG included. Cheap DPMS style lower is $250.00, LPK and stock probably adds another $150.00 pretty easily.

Might be able to do a 7.62X39 for about $600.00 if he latched on to a really cheap AR15 lower though.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    American design, or all made in usa? What about mostly made in USA?
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    I am selling my SKS and want an American rifle that shoots just as good.
    I want
    - Common caliber
    - Good semi-auto shooter
    - American made, i would love a M1 garand but i dont think i can afford one
    - Looking to pay under $600 for one.
    What model should i look for ?

These guys have an AR-15 build from $580:
    http://www.colemantyler.com/index.php

You can find similar deals elsewhere if you search the web. I mention them because I've been to their shop in Gilbert, Arizona.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am building my AR with a Del-ton M4 upper and a Aim surplus lower. Under $700 for the whole gun.

Im looking for an old school style gun.

I really wish i could afford an International Harvest M1. Im a huge IH fan.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:worstenemy453

USA
    667 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2011 : 9:31:00 PM Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote
    I am building my AR with a Del-ton M4 upper and a Aim surplus lower. Under $700 for the whole gun.

Im looking for an old school style gun.

I really wish i could afford an International Harvester M1. Im a huge IH fan.
    Go to Top of Page

There fixed it for you.