In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

A car question

ADfreeADfree Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Though not gun-related directly, I thought this would be a good place to ask for advice for a good used 4 wheel drive truck or SUV. I need a vehicle that is capable of getting me to all the places remote places to fish and hunt; the sedan just isn't cutting it (getting stuck in snow isn't very fun).Well the criteria are:1. Has to be under $70002. Not too cramped (I am a fairly big guy)3. Air conditioning (I am a wimp in the heat and am moving to either TX or NM from WA)4. Four wheel drive5. I would prefer American, but willing to consider importsI hope that I can benefit from the experiences that you have had and won't have to learn anything the hard way.Thanks in advance,Tony

Comments

• jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Get yourself a used Ford Bronco with a V-8 and you won't be sorry. Old, but my favorite.
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Around here, Jeeps like the Cherokee are not getting a premium price anymore, and there seem to be a lot of them. If I were in your position, personally I'd be looking for a good used hardtop Jeep.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Get ahold of a copy of the Nickle Nik Wheels n Deals, or the Auto Trader for the Eastern side of the state (Spokane). You'll find prices far less over here.
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 liter in-line six. But you're not going to get much for 7 grand.
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you get a jeep like my daughters you sure as hell wont be getting much!i would reccomend v/6 toyota- they hold resale value well, get good mileage, & go like hell. barto
    the hard stuff we do right away - the impossible takes a little longer
  • pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    My brother used to have a Bronco. Great truck, and even though its a bit old, it still looks great in my opinion.
  • ADfreeADfree Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have done some searching on the 'puter, and it seems that the Bronco is the best match, given my price constraints. I would love a nice Jeep too, but the prices for a nicer one were quite a bit higher than for the Bronco. Maybe when I get out of college I can afford to spend more on transportation, but until then I have to be miserly lol.Thanks for all the advice; without it I would have been wandering around the car lots with a dazed look.
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    My Blazer 4x4 V-6 is one of the best I have ever owned
  • pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    Just last night, on my way back from the range, I saw a very well kept bronco, with some added features. Had the lights on the top, chrome bumpber, grill, etc...a bit higher than factory, and some bigger tires. Looked really nice. I think that truck is a classic. And inside, they are comfortable as heck.Good luck finding a good one that will suit your needs. there are a bunch of websites that you can check out, and if your willing to travel some to pick it up, it would make it a lot easier...besides, its another excuse for a road trip
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jeep, bronco, blazers are great for off road due to the short wheelbase. If it were me, I would go for one of those. I use a Suburban for this, but, many modifications need be made to get a heavy truck like that to perform off road.
  • Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are a weekend warrior and know how to work on your own then an older bronc or a k5 blazer. I had a 78 k5 and it was great, the only bad thing is as with all full size trucks it is a very large hood to see over. My current wheeler and wedding gift is a 1951 willys. With your price of 7k you should not have a problem obtaining something of this type and the nice thing about the older (pre 1970) is no computer or emissions. Also if you can wait until you move come on over to arizona and buy it here because they have no rust. It is normal in this state to see 1960's,50's 40's being driving daily.good luck Rich
    Remember,"your woman may not find you handsome, But atleast she'll find ya handy". I love that show..............
  • edharoldedharold Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would (do) go with a standard pickup with a canopy. SUVs are great until you get an animal or two to haul out. If you have far to go, you have to keep the temperature at the best level for meat preservation, the smell isn't that great, and you usually have blood and hair to get out of the carpet. And it takes a lot of work to get an elk into the back of an SUV, even in pieces. Two is impossible.If you go with an SUV the older models turn better, have better clearance and are more maneuverable in back road situations. Good luck with what ever you decide.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As bad as I hate to admit it,it's hard to beat the rice burners (Toyota,Nissan,etc)for dependabily and economy.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DODGE, DODGE, DODGE.
    Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DODGE, DODGE, DODGE. Pickup
    Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.