In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Henry Survival rifle?

thesoundguy1thesoundguy1 Member Posts: 680
edited October 2002 in General Discussion
'Been spyin' one of these at Wally World.Thinkin' about it.Want to know what my brothers and sisters in arms think!Are spare mags available? How about Hi-caps?How much $$$ for spare and Hi-caps?

www.waveformwear.com
The new wave in free expression.

Comments

• Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lorcin of rifles. At least the old AR7 is somewhat collectible.

Often the mind believes it is thinking, when it is only passing from one metaphor to the next.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are they that bad?

www.waveformwear.com
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Total CRAP!

• Options
    edited November -1
    Recommend a 22lr, with detachable mags.I'd like to find some thing where hi-caps are available,without breaking the bank.I am po' ya' know.

www.waveformwear.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They are not very accurate and are cheaply made. I never understood their purpose. Why anyone wouldn't just step up a bit and buy a 10/22 (or a second or third 10/22) instead is beyond me.

Often the mind believes it is thinking, when it is only passing from one metaphor to the next.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The AR-7 was good for a boat, cuz it would float. Har Har Mate

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    pickenup" The Henry sinks; it stinks.

• Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I just checked out the AR-7 website. They sell for $150.00. Are they worth the money?

Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    nelchrisnelchris Member Posts: 557 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one a few years back,it never made it through a full mag without jamming I would not buy one
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one in Camo pattern I bought when Charter arms sold them.I have found it a pleasure to shoot,and the peep sights are accurate.I bought some spare Mags off of Henry and they work great.Henry is selling all kinds of add ons for them.But for example the barrel shroud they sell for it,stops the whole Idea of the gun.Because it wont go inside the stock with it on,same with the scope.Ive really enjoyed mine over the years.

Best!!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    If you want a really neat and compact rifle that wont break your wallet you should check out the Rossi combo guns. They come with a 22 barrel and a 410 barrel. It is only a single shot but it seems to be very accurate. I bought one for my youngest daughter for her starter gun.

When Clinton left office they gave him a 21 gun salute. Its a damn shame they all missed....
  • Options
    dhdh Member Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at the Papoose by Marlin,I think.It won't float but so what.
  • Options
    butbut Member Posts: 113 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one back in the early 80's when Charter Arms made them, I think I paid $89.00. Factory sights were crude at best but it shot pretty well with a 4X scope. Trigger was horrible and it was only reliable with the factory mags. All the aftermarket hi caps I tried didn't work worth a damn.
    Once put 1000 rounds through it in one day with 2 factory 8 round mags and a buddy, it didn't miss a beat.
    Overall I think there are better choices out there for a little more money.
  • Options
    trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive got a henry. Fun little rifle to shoot. Not the best not the worst. 'Nuff said

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun jine the cavalry
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a charter arms AR-7 explorer. it is not the most accuratte gun, but it is fun. i use it to let the children handle and shoot, as it is a small, light gun. mine is scoped(3-7x20). i also have two spare mags. its a neat toy, and you can hit a rabbit or squirrel at 25 yds or less, but it is the only gun i own that i would consider selling. i have seen a ramline 50 round mag, but they are not legal in NJ. i paid under $50.00 for mine, a good bargain, but i would not pay $150.00. i had to try out 12 different ammos to find one that grouped well at 25 yds(pmc sidewinder and rem. thunderbolt).

at $150.00 the other choices and options you have make the AR-7 look a little weak.

just some random thoughts.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So what does everyone think about the Springfield M-6 Scout? I've been eye-balling them lately.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    make mine a .22 hornet / .410 and give me the new scope mount and a red dot sight. cannot decide on finish( matte black or mill). i to have been eyeing this odd yet compeling item.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
  • Options
    JesuitLogicJesuitLogic Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just how collectible is the original Armalite Explorer AR-7?
    I have one I'd like to sell, but have no idea what to ask for it.
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Charter Arms AR-7 is about 25 years old and I love it. It's fun and reasonably accurate for a gun that screws together and floats.

I can shoot a melon at approx. fifty yards. No scope.

James Bond used one so it must be good. Right?

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.