In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

When/if the assault weapons ban sunsets next sept?

4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
edited December 2003 in General Discussion
Will they start producing and selling normal capacity mags again at normal prices. Will the Glock 15 and 17 rnd cap mags be $20 again? If so there are going to be a lot of pissed of people who invested $$$ in them to try to resale for the $75-$100 price tag they are asking now....I hope there's a lot of pissed of norm cap mag sellers come next sept.[:D]

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."

Comments

• Options
    sharkman69sharkman69 Member Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although some people will say that it will take time for Glock and others to retool for higher capacity magazines, they are forgetting that Glock still makes high cap magazines, but they are only for law enforcement agencies in this country, and available all over the rest of the world, subject to local laws.

Right now, I can buy Glock 10 round mags for $13.49 wholesale, so I don't see any reason for Glocks manufacturing costs to go through the roof on higher capacity mags. The sooner that worthless law is around, the better.
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you actually think the AWB is going to sunset? I see it being replaced by some new ban with more restrictions in accordance to the demands of Homeland Security and the actions of some future crazed nut cases with firearms.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Like every thing else in the government it will be a compromise. The only question is what will we get and what will we loose.

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I stand to lose a chunk of change (with the money I've invested in high-caps) if the ban sunsets and is not replaced. However, for the good of all gun owners, I'll gladly lose it to get our high-caps back...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    I would love to see it sunset, but I seriously doubt it will, I'm sure they'll push it back through congress or a new ban.

aliens.jpg
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    Myself, over the last three or four months I really see a possibility the ban will sunset without anything replacing it. I have quite a bit invested in hi-cap mags myself, but realize it is more important, in terms of the Second Ammendment, for the ban to sunset than having concern that money will be lost with the re-introduction of more high cap mags. Actually, I have made enough money selling high-cap mags, I can't really say I have anything in those still in my possession.

I do have a bit different take on things, I think if a person has invested wisely, there won't be a significant drop in prices of certain items that are currently on the banned list. Some examples:

1. USGI M14 Magazines. There is no reson to believe there will be more of these introduced on the market even if the ban expires. What is out there is it, aftermarket stuff won't matter much in affecting the prices of these.

2. Beretta BM59 magazines were "expensive" even before the ban. They can currently be picked up for about the same price as USGI mags, with some looking. Unless some imitations are made, the same supply will exist as exists today. (and who likes after market mags, anyway?)

3. While some Ruger 10/22 mags (such as Butler Creek) have remained in production "for export only", I don't think the same is true of Ramline magazines, and there are certian guns, such as the Intratec Tec-22, that require Ramline magazines (or factory magazines).

4. There is going to be some real propoganda that any "New" assault weapons are not as good as the "old" assault weapons. Even if they make AK47 style rifles with folding stocks and bayonet lugs, these are not going to be Chicom rifles, and there will never be any more Chicom rifles imported, even if the ban isn't renewed. Same is true of many imports that were discontinued in '89. Springfield Armory, Inc, has been increasing the number of cast parts on their M1A as USGI parts runs out, the older ones are closer to "mil-spec". AR15 style rifles will not have those interesting cuts inside the reciever, that were eliminated to inhibit any attempt to make them full auto. Thus, those early ones will have a "charm" about them any new rifles will not possess. Owners of the old "preban" rifles will propogate the position that their early rifles are somehow better (whether or not this will really be true) and the early guns will hold their value in spite of the ban's sunset.

So my take is, don't expect prices to fall overnight on some of this stuff, if they fall at all. Sure, there will be an mpact on some stuff, but not all of it. Invest wisely, and I think there is nothing but positive potential for much of this stuff.

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Wise words Boeboe,

I'd like to also add that with the new ban their will be no more AR10's on the market....Can anyone see their value as collectors pieces rising? What about their magazines?

Good investment...

kabalogoshadowed.gif
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, great responses by boe boe, and fort knox. I agree with ft. knox they won't let it fade away, but boe boe said everything I wish I would have. except of course I don't have anything invested in hi-cap mags, if they renew it, I'll probably look into my class II or class III just to be another law abiding citizen in possesion of something the gov. fears.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I have been watching distributor/wholeseller prices on hi-caps fall for about six months. Right now, it looks to me as if the market believes the ban will sunset as written. Since these guys have big money invested, perhaps it will.

I'm sure the usual suspects will be waiting in the wings with a wide range of draconian laws in the hopes that someone will go nuts with a gun.

Anyway, keep what you have and scarf any great deals that pop up. You just never know...

What men call a hero...is merely a man who is seen doing what a brave man does as a matter of course.
    A man who is in love with learning is a man who is never without a bride, for there is always more. L'Amour
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    I have been watching distributor/wholeseller prices on hi-caps fall for about six months.

I have not noticed this, nor have I noticed falling prices for preban military style rifles. Neither have I heard of either HK, SIG, Beretta, FN Herstal, Valmet, IMI, Steyr or anyone else tooling up to again produce preban equivalent military style rifles for next September delivery.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    I have been watching distributor/wholeseller prices on hi-caps fall for about six months.

I have not noticed this, nor have I noticed falling prices for preban military style rifles. Neither have I heard of either HK, SIG, Beretta, FN Herstal, Valmet, IMI, Steyr or anyone else tooling up to again produce preban equivalent military style rifles for next September delivery.

Pick up a copy of GUNLIST and check out the ads. A number of fliers from the distributors are showing lower prices on the hi-cap mags. I just got one today from InterOrdnance that reflects that. Never said nothing about rifles though

What men call a hero...is merely a man who is seen doing what a brave man does as a matter of course.
    A man who is in love with learning is a man who is never without a bride, for there is always more. L'Amour
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been to a few gun shows and I don't see anything getting cheaper but the prices going up. It is written in the 94 ban that it expire in 04. However, I look for new legislation to replace it being stiffer.
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It seems unfortunate that so may people think it's a forgone conclusion! Write you Reps and Senators, do something if you haven't already.

The phrase "separation of church and state" does not appear in the
    Constitution. But neither does the phrase "right to a fair trial"!
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Here is my question to all y'all.
    "IF" the AWB sunsets, even for a week, then the LEO hicap mags, would then be leagal for privite ownership.
    As well as any postban being modified into the preban configuration.
    I see alot of reprocussions of what is leagal & what is not, "IF" the AWB sunsets and is replaced with another.
    What is your thinking..
    Walte I need more 25rd 12/22mags @ $9.95each!

(Trying to answer phones & type at the same time, typo city!)
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fort_knox, I think they had to put an "expiration date" on it to get it to pass. Essentially that was a way for them to get it to go through, but for those that opposed, it wasn't totally caving in.
    GWB has publicly stated he supports the mandatory 10 round restriction, he's been kinda muddy on his other AWB stances. I think it's worth with Ashcroft around him...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If it passed and wasn't renewed or stenghtened, I for one would look foward to $75 AKs.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    SilentKnightSilentKnight Member Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If stiffer legislation is passed the government can kiss my *. Ive had enough of these BS laws, so has most of ALL the other millions of gun owners in America.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by IAMACLONE_2
    Here is my question to all y'all.
    "IF" the AWB sunsets, even for a week, then the LEO hicap mags, would then be leagal for privite ownership.
    As well as any postban being modified into the preban configuration.
    I see alot of reprocussions of what is leagal & what is not, "IF" the AWB sunsets and is replaced with another.
    What is your thinking..
    Walte I need more 25rd 12/22mags @ $9.95each!

(Trying to answer phones & type at the same time, typo city!)

My thoughts are kinda like prohibition ending. The booze was in the warehouses across the border and once the law was repealed, they paid taxes on it and sold it. Since magazines are not taxed per se, they would be legal with no restrictions. The LE ONLY would become like the tag on pillows "DO NOT REMOVE UNDER PENALTY OF LAW"
    This is using logical thought, so it may not apply to your jurisdiction.

• Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    I'm with GreenLantern on this. C'mon guys, 90 million poeple is the single largest interest group ever, anywhere. We can have anything we want if we would just get our acts together. If it passes, or a new ban replaces it, we will again have only ourselves to blame. It's as simple as that. Aren't you all getting tired of being walked all over on gun isssues? It doesn't have to be this way. If it has to be this way, I'm missing the "why". It's just not logical to allow this.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bill or bills drafted so far by the Democrats to replace the AWB are so wildly radical and heinous that I don't see them having a snowflake's chance of passing as replacement legislation.

Since the current AWB IS GOING to sunset as stipulated, the only question is whether it will stay gone, or whether some revised bill will replace it, sooner or later. There may very well be a "window of opportunity" in the meantime (between laws), or, if the Constitution has anything to say about it, the AWB may be gone for good. Keep in mind that cooler heads realize there is some value in a well-armed populace in times of domestic terror threats.

But mainly, the current drafts written for a new law are ridiculous, laughable, non-starters. The Dems are being typically stupid in terms of their expectations about what they can foist on the American people in terms of infringements of their rights. This is clear proof that the Dems really think they are the 'centrists,' not radicals.

So I say let them propose the radical bills and the extended banned weapon lists, and let it be voted down soundly and firmly. Very few in Congress have an appetite for gun control right now, because they recall what happened to pro-gun-control candidates the last time it was a trumped up election issue. And the polls do not confirm it's any more popular and issue now, especially with Americans beefing up their home security in case of terrorist activity. It is foolish for the anti-gunners to believe that with the momentum toward CCWs in practically every state, and the increased interest in self protection, the citizens will all be satisfied with hundred year old wheelgun six-shooters. If there was ever a time when the word "militia" in the Second Amendment obviously suggested what types of weapons are not to be infringed for the People, this is it.

Look forward to a "window of opportunity" when the AWB sunsets, and be prepared to make the most of it, buy cheap during the period immediately after the old law sunsets. Either way, new law or not, you can't lose if you buy cheap at that point. As for the $125 hi-cap mag sellers, let 'em stew in their own juice. It is as true here as it is in real estate or the stock market -- sooner or later, some investor pays too much for a house, or a stock, or a mag -- and the prices fall off, sometimes for good, if there was something artificially holding up prices in the market. We have a classic example of that here.

If you want to know what any gun or mag is really worth, look at what it sells to police departments for, whether it be a Glock hi-cap or an Uzi. Then ask yourself if you really want to pay a huge premium for engineering and machining that is only worth, in quality and workmanship, maybe 20-25% of what you're thinking of paying for it.

Anyway, that's my take on it. There may be a window between laws, even if the anti-gunners manage to bully through a compromise ban. I think any such new law may actually be weaker than the current one in any case. It certainly should be. We can do much to stimulate the economies of certain foreign friendly countries by allowing imports of these products again.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpg Life Member - fortbutton2.gif
  • Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it'll sunset. I think Bush is posturing for the soccer moms, knowing full well that a renewal bill will probably never reach his desk. It'll probably die in committee or fail in the House.
    I think even Congress can do enough math to figure out that those that are anti-gun (and not in safely ultra-liberal areas) aren't returning.

That said, I don't think prices will radically drop overnight, not because of any shortage, or lack of tooling, but because dealers like high profit margins.
  • Options
    trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Offeror: you said....

"The bill or bills drafted so far by the Democrats to replace the AWB are so wildly radical and heinous that I don't see them having a snowflake's chance of passing as replacement legislation."

Do you have any details? I'm almost afraid to see what they're cooking up, but I'm afraid NOT to know.
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    I have thought for a while, what Offeror is saying may be the case, there may be a brief (or perhaps longer than brief) "window of opportunity" between the time the ban expires and something new comes along. This "something new" may even be an executive order from Bush in the interest of "homeland security". This window may be only a few hours, or a couple of days! It could be much longer, but eventually there will be another ban, even if it doesn't come for 10 or 20 years. There are lots of "limited capacity" mags that can be easily modified to high caps, I am ready to do this, and the ability to add assault weapons features very quickly after the ban seems like a good idea. I also plan to document this stuff on video tape to prove when it was done, should another ban closely follow the first.

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Well I'm ready for the "Window" to be open I have the parts and the donor SAR1 & SAR2 to become pre-ban with folders. Otherwise I will be selling the folding stocks cheap. I hope not..
    As for a LEO mags, again if the "Window" opens I'll buy as many as I can for the next 48hrs or until the gun money runs out.
    Walte
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It never ceases to amaze me how despite the continued downward spiral of individual rights and freedoms effected by the Patriot and Homeland Security acts that anyone can be the least bit optimistic about an AWB sunset. How can the same administration that has done nothing heretofore re: gun rights and is currently checking grandma's shoes and taking her tweezers at the airport reconcile support for reintroducing the manufacture, importation and sale of high-capacity handguns and assault weapons in this country? During an election year? PUH-LEEZE. The only people naive enough to think so are loyal Republican gun owners who assume Bush gives rat's iota about anything other than what will keep him in office. His record of speaking out for gun owners over the past three years is plain enough. The ban will never sunset. Get over it.
  • Options
    sharkman69sharkman69 Member Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:

That said, I don't think prices will radically drop overnight, not because of any shortage, or lack of tooling, but because dealers like high profit margins.

I'm a dealer, and I LOVE high profit margins. However, years of experience has taught me that what I want people to pay, and what people will actually pay, are two different pricetags. I still think that once companies get the green light to start selling high cap magazines to the public again, the prices will come right down to roughly the same price as the ten round mags. I could be wrong about all this, but I wouldn't bet against it.
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The AWB will Sunset!
    But something worse could be put in place.
    If you care about your rights and are willing to fight for them, then you should be buying at least 1,000 rounds of ammo for your favorite Deer Rifle or Assualt Rifle or what ever you have now.

The next ban includes semi-auto shotguns, possibly only single-shot Shotguns will be allowed.

hsas157x100.gif
    sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.