In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

THE TRUE SOUTHERN PART 3

COONASSCOONASS Member Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
Hey RugerNiner where exactly does that mason-dixon line cut across
the good ole USA ????????????????

and yes sjc1 its all one country,,,,,,,but a good talker............

Comments

• Options
    Model 12Model 12 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The M-D line is the border between Maryland and Pennsylvania. That means that Cincy, St Louis and Wichita are all "below the Mason-Dixon". Strange, ain't it?
  • Options
    COONASSCOONASS Member Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey RugerNiner........got dry mouth???????
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll have to look up the exact line. but the maryland line down to Delawareis part of it. The line itself is approx. 385 miles. I'm on my way to work, but here is some quick research.
    "The Mason-Dixon Line is "one of the most unusual boundaries on earth," Ecenbarger writes. Wholly artificial and non-topographical, it never touches a prominent landmark. It's a marvelous feat - of science and human perseverance - and a still-potent symbol of man's capacity for cruelty.
    Tellingly, many people think the line extends farther than it does, that it stretches to the Mississippi - testament to its mythic status in the national psyche, a metaphor for American history in all its schizophrenic glory and shame.
    A dozen years after its completion in 1767, it became the boundary not just between Pennsylvania and Maryland, but between North and South, freedom and slavery.
    The Mason-Dixon Line was a landmark in the history of geodesy - the science of determining exact positions on the Earth's surface. The boundary they plotted was so nearly accurate it is still accepted by the U.S. Geodetic Survey. Says Ecenbarger: "The most sophisticated modern equipment shows that they strayed only a few hundred feet one way or the other."
    When Mason and Dixon left America in 1768, the line they had surveyed merely settled a boundary dispute. But in 1780, when the Pennsylvania Assembly passed a law calling for the gradual end of slavery, the line became the boundary not just between Pennsylvania and Maryland, but North and South".

If you are wondering about the New Jersey tip I'll have to look at some other references.

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.