In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

One of those flag things again.....

alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
NAACP begins 'border patrol' Confederate flag protests Fort Mill, South Carolina-AP -- A civil rights group is urging motorists entering South Carolina not to stop or shop there.The N-Double-A-C-P has begun its "border patrol" protest against the Confederate flag.It launched a South Carolina boycott two years ago to protest the flag, which had flown atop the Statehouse for 38 years.The Legislature eventually agreed to bring down the flag, but raised another flag at a Confederate monument a few yards away.The N-Double-A-C-P rejected the compromise.A spokesman calls the flag a "swastika."Members of the group flashed protest signs outside a welcome center in Fort Mill today.And for a time, two members of the Ku Klux Klan passed out literature inside the building.But they agreed to leave at the request of state officials.
Never ask why but only the value of.

Comments

• Options
    niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think they should take baby steps with this issue. I can understand the anger of the NAACP, because the flag once stood for oppression and bondage. I found that today, among white and black folk, it stands more for "Southern Pride" more than anything else.They should take it down for a while and re-introduce it with a new image. Don't change the looks, but associate it more with pride than oppresion.
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Baby steps? Faugh! I am getting sick to death of the PC Nazis! Let's go WAY big! Stars-and-Bars waving rednecks with BIG signs saying "WELCOME TO SOUTH CAROLINA, Y'ALL! HOME OF THE FRIENDLIEST FOLKS YOU EVER WANNA MEET!" right next to these pinheads out on the interstate. Laugh at these humorless, stupid, wanna-be despots, and soon everyone will see that the emperor has no clothes, and will start laughing at them, too.And I'm a Yankee!
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It seems that it would be in any states best interest for people that don't respect the Stainless Banner to stay out.Maybe they could have a sign beside the pickets that reads: Please Brer Fox don't throw us in the briar patch!
  • Options
    SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FIRST OF ALLT HE CONFEDERATE FLAG NEVER STOOD FOR OPPRESSION AND BONDAGE!!!!!!IIT STOOD FOR A GROUP OF PEOPLE THAT WANTED TO SECEED FROM THE UNION AND CHOSE THAT FLAG TO FIGHT UNDER IF YOU WANT TO YOU CAN LOOK AT IT AS THE FLAG OF STATES RIGHTS.THERE WERE MORE ISSUES AT STAKE THAN SLAVERY.LIKE UNFAIR TAXATION,THE FACT THAT THE NORTHERN STATES WERE RECEIVING UNFAIR ADVANTAGES IN THE AREA OF WEALTH REDISTRIBUTION ETC ETC... NOT TO MENTION LINCOLN ONLY FREED THE SLAVES IN THE SOUTHERN STATES THE EMANCIPATION PPROCLAMATION ONLY AFFECTED STATES SOUTH OF THE MASON DIXON (READ IT!)I WONT GO ANY FURTHE LEST I INCUR THE WRATH OF THEM YANKEES BUT WHEN THE GOVERNMENT COMES AFTER YOUR GUNNS THE REBELLION WILL FLY THE STARS AND BARS WALT TENNESSEE RENDNECK
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slavery had very little to do with the Civil War being fought. It was a minor issue. I'm sure there are a lot of Historians on this BB that can give a clearer picture to the events that led up the Civil War.
    Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You know 250Savage, that approach might work too!SUBMARINER, it is obvious that the flag was not meant to be a symbol for oppression or bondage, but for the parties involved (namely the NAACP) it was. The same could be said about a lot of symbols. The swastika is an ancient symbols meaning "good" translated from sanskrit. Try telling that to a Jew.
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • Options
    RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was the NAACP even around when the Civil War was fought? I don't think it was!
    If You Can't Buy a Pair, Get a Spare!
  • Options
    jdb123jdb123 Member Posts: 471 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    any time you chain people up,seperate them from thier families and basically just do what ever you want to people i would hardly call that a "minor" issue. you cannot speak for black people so for anyone to say its not a symbol of oppresion is stupid. its not to you but it is to them and thier oppinion is as valid as yours. and since black people are the ones who suffered from people who faught under that flag its seems they are right when they say it is a "symbol" of oppresion. i hate political correctness myself but i can relate to people, unlike alot of you, even though that person may not look like me.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How long ago did that happen? Why are we still bickering over it? Everybody else seems to get over but these people are just trying to get attention. Look at what others have done to this country and it's people, do we say lets make anything that reminds us of it go away? No we don't. If that flag bothers them for things that happened long before they was born, they have a problem. Not me. I could care less what happened back then and for them to constantly wine about it is childish. There are alot of things that insults me but I don't go crying wanting to ban everything that bothers me and most other people are the same way. Some people just need to grow up. The more they complain about that flag the longer I will fly mine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    basically i agree with you 7mm but when pushed i guess my above statement is how i feel if i had to talk about it. yea people should worry about other things i guess.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    jdb123; I didn't say slavery was a Minor issue. I said it was a minor issue as to why the Civil War was fought. The Civil War was not fought over Slavery.
    Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    why was it faught then? to "preserve the Union" why was the South succeding in the first place?
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just think, if we'd had the internet back then, the south would never have had the time to fight a war, for that matter neither would the north, we'd all been so busy buying guns on our puters that we'd have never made it to the first battle.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The stars and bars are a sign of white supremacists' attempts to subordinate freedom loving black people. As long as stars and bars exist anywhere, including in the minds of people the black youth will continue to fail miserably in school and will continue in their inability to learn to speak the English language.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm- The fact that it happend "so long ago" is what gives false credibility to the idea that the flag represents rascism. History has a tragic way of changing as time goes by. It is amazing to witness how the cause of the civil war has gone from the right to secede, the right of the people to alter or abolish a government that does not work under the approval of the governed, and a federal government over stepping its constitutional authority to, "It was about slavery".The rewriting of history makes the war out to be fought for "noble" and rightous reasons(ending slavery), when the truth is, The North and the Union overstepped their constitutional authority.As pointed out in an earlier post, if it was really about freeing the slaves, the slaves would have been freed in the Northern states. One would think that if the North thought that slavery was evil, they would have cleaned their own house of the evil.It is also interesting to note that several northern states made laws that prevented freed or runaway slaves from residing in their states. In the great "free" state of massachusettes, a migrating former slave had two weeks to get out of the state, or they would be flogged.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    v35, Where in the heck did you come up with that rubbish? Each man woman and child in America has the ability to become what ever they want to be no matter what anyone thinks about them. The only thing that keeps anyone from succeeding in their attempt to become what they want to be is the individual. I am a firm believer in equality for all, regardless of ANYTHING that may define them as being different from anyone else. The OLD, Southern Flag, has nothing to do with the statement you made: youth will continue to fail miserably in school and will continue in their inability to learn to speak the English language.If you were just throwing out a line with a big hook on the end, then start reeling, but otherwise, you are so wrong I cant even begin to make that statement right.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    YOU SAID IT,ITS THEIR OPINION.HOWEVER,THEIR OPINION IS BASED ON EMOTION AND FEELINGS INSTILLED IN THEM BY THE SO CALLED BLACK LEADERSHIP AND VERY LITTLE ON FACT.SO MY OPINION IS BASED IN A WHOLE HELL OF A LOT MORE FACT THAN THIERS.DOESNT MATTER YOU CANT CONVINCE SOME PEOPLE THE SKY IS BLUE.BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT BUT THE TRUTH IS THE TRUTH.NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU WISH IT WASNT AND YOU CANT CHANGE IT REDNECK WALT
    SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,NE'ER DO WELL, INSTIGATOR,AND RUSTY WALLACE FAN
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SSGT Roberts, I'm surprised....You missed v35's obvious sarcasm. Maggie's drawers are waving frantically from the pits!!! You don't miss much on this forum....I think this is a first for you!! Beach
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I kind of thought he may be kidding, but wasnt sure, I've been doing too much today. Thats why I said the hook and line thing. Oh well, I never feel bad when I look a fool, or I'd feel bad too often.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I got this from the encylopedia and I'm not saying another thing on the subject:But most historians agree that the war had a number of causes. They note especially the sectional division between North and South-that is, the differences in economies, ideals, and ways of life. They also point to the disputes between the federal government and the states over what rights and powers the states possessed. Historians further mention the blunderings of politicians and the disorder in the American political party system during the 1850's.
  • Options
    smokinggunsmokinggun Member Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just what was the name of the country that allowed the slave thing to begin with? That country has a flag.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    HOOKED ME TOO!THX RUGER-NINER.YOUR ENCYC.DEFINITION IS WHAT I SAID TO BEGIN WITH.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    HOOKED ME TOO!THX RUGER-NINER.YOUR ENCYC.DEFINITION IS WHAT I SAID TO BEGIN WITH.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, it would be nice to let go, but it's easy to do if it never happend to you. Now, I am pretty sure no one here has ever raised a whip or had slaves before, so it is understandable that you want it put in the past. What if it was your mother who was sprayed with firehoses and raped? What if it was your grandfather who was run down and lynched by a mob? Don't you dare say it's BS because it happended to families of my friends.You can't just expect racial anger to "just" disappear after ONE generation. If I found out that happened to my mother my father or grandparents, AND got away with it (as many did) forget PROTESTS. Forget GUNS. I'd come after each person with a meat hook and pair of pliers.
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    One Generation??? Nik, a new generation starts every 7 to 10 years.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Simonbs- Yup! And with each passing generation, we can count on the revisionist to throw more salt on the wound, and create new wounds.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Beach- Though I enjoyed your post on this thread, I really expect a little more from you. You getting soft or something?
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    Just read an article comparing the generations. We are both wrong, but I'm closer - I'm too low, you're too high.Baby Boomers: 1946 - 1965; 19 yearsNext generation: 1966 - 1982; 16 yearsGeneration X: 1983 - 1999; 16 yearsGeneration Y: 1999 - present
  • Options
    Patrick OdlePatrick Odle Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anyone want to start a movement where the black man can show his appreciation for being taken out of the wilderness, where any given night a cobra,black mamba, lion, tiger, leopard, or marauding elephant couldcome and drag off or inject a massive flood of venom into any or all of their children or other members of their families. Only to be taken to a more civilized country given a shack to live in, a bucket of molasses, a middlin of meat, a turn of corn, tobacco in many cases. Then being ruled by a massay who taught them how to till the soil and grow crops rather than roam the desolate plains,in danger of loss of life or limb in search of food. How many of the existing naacp would trade that kind of life,for what they now enjoy as americans. how about a show of hands. Many of the slaves of the north and south and north were horribly abused, and they are the ones that had a gripe comming while it was taking place. Just what does the naacp have to say about the many brave blacks that proudly fought and died under the confederate flag. They also don't make mention of the fact that upon being freed the thousands upon thousands that died, of starvation from their freedom, being unskilled in any honest work other than farm work, they did poorly in factories, and few held their jobs because of it. the naacp had better pray that any historian does not come forward with the real truth. what would old jessie or al think if they were called by their real names instead of the names taken from the families of the people that had their ansesstors as slaves. if anyone wants to strike down the stars and bars then let him give reason that will hold water. If not let him keep his peice and maybe he if lucky will never be noticed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Simonds, that sounds about right. My point still holds thogh, that young men and women alive today have had relatives they knew experience oppression first hand.Patrick, I want to thank you. You just proved my point.I respect your opinion, but one piece of advice... Becareful to who and where you say that. Correct me if i'm wrong, but you're basically saying that Africans were nothing but savages and the slave owners "saving" them by civilizing them into slavery. A good point you make by saying that many died because of they were unskilled. Still, I doubt that there were thousands dying before "while roaming the plains" and being "bitten by a cobra or being eaten by a lion." Even if that was remotely true, would you prefer to be free to do as you please or be whipped and told what to do? "they can take my gun when they pry it from my cold dead fingers" sound familiar?Obviously most were not going to do well in factories! Do you really think plantation owners built schoolhouses for their slaves? Do you think they'd cough up the extra money for a teacher? If all you did was farming all day how well do you think you'd do in the city, not knowing how to read or write?I don't know who the "many brave blacks were that fought under the confedeerate flag" were, please let me know. If you read it in a book, please let me know if the author was a white man or a black man. History is written by the one in power. I assure you Sambo was not the one with a secretary and typewriter. We did them a favor by putting them into slavery... Jesus. That's a new one for me.
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo, my very very very good Southern friend.....are you trying to get a rise out of me again? Given the number of forward thinking Americans on our forum who initially took exception to my using the Confederate flag in its proper place, I thought I'd stay out of this current donnybrook. None of our forward thinking members has yet been able to convince me that the Confederate flag is good for anything but Buttwipe. But if they want to proudly fly what I use to clean fecal material off my distinquished Yankee butt.....more power to them!Now salzo!!!!are you happy?? Just watch the outraged slings come my way!! Anyway Salzo you have a great day and keep stirrin!! I swear I'm ready to nominate you to replace dano! Beach
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ahhhh, now there is the Beachmaster I have grown accustomed to. Thanks Beach, I feel better now.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hey odle there aint no tigers in africa
  • Options
    edited November -1
    jdb123 is right, there aren't any Tigers in Africa.