In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I Am Legend question

drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in General Discussion
Watching it on Dubai One right now.

Zombies or Vampires?

I had always thought they were Zombies.

Reminds me I need to watch the original again...
Omega Man with Charlton Heston.

Comments

• Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great movie.. Zombies I'll go with..
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    Pretty much zombies....
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Zombies...i tried watching the Heston one and it was just too campy.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,702 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Zombies....they "found the cure for cancer" and it spread a plague in that movie.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    Heston version, while very dated, and with not so special effects (but good for its day)is a much better movie. Wil Smith should stick to the funny roles he does best.
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Vampires, they can't go out in the daytime... Reason he has ultraviolent lights to his basement
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    Neither. They aren't deceased people resurrected, so they can't be vampires. They aren't vampires for a variety of reasons.

They are mutated human beings. Living, breathing human being with a hypersensitivity to uv and no social skills.
  • Options
    anatomically correctanatomically correct Member Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In other words, pretty much the same as many rock band/entertainers we know.[:D]
  • Options
    wartigerwartiger Member Posts: 3,861
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    Neither. They aren't deceased people resurrected, so they can't be vampires. They aren't vampires for a variety of reasons.

They are mutated human beings. Living, breathing human being with a hypersensitivity to uv and no social skills.

Bingo!! We have a winner!
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,043 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

[:D][:D]
  • Options
    legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    The thing i always wondered is why not pick a safer place to live.

A island in the area, take a boat offshore every night, a more secure building.
    Anything than a normal house.
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Reminds me I need to watch the original again...
    Omega Man with Charlton Heston
    This was not the original, the first one was named "The Last Man on Earth" with Vincent Price. It was out in 1964, this Will Smith version is the third try and honestly the one I enjoyed the least
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So it's more like an inner city take on Robinson Crusoe?
    Now that it has been mentioned I do remember the Vincent Price one. I was thinking Heston was the original. I still hate that the hero dies in the end. I like happy endings.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20

[:D][:D]

That's why things get livelier around here after dark.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    So it's more like an inner city take on Robinson Crusoe?
    Now that it has been mentioned I do remember the Vincent Price one. I was thinking Heston was the original. I still hate that the hero dies in the end. I like happy endings.

Don't we all.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congresscritters?
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wartiger

That first vampires should have been zombies, but I'm sure you all picked up on what I meant.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kind of a hybrid. In one iteration, they were pretty much full on vampires, but the most modern version they had to "zombiefy" it to catch the popularity of the genre.

The photosensitivity of the infected is a pretty constant feature through all incarnations.
  • Options
    HavegunJoeHavegunJoe Member Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joker5656
    Vampires, they can't go out in the daytime... Reason he has ultraviolent lights to his basement

+1. They also move too fast to be Zombies. I think in the book it was taken from they were turned into vampires.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The original book dates back to the 1950s. They were vampires, not zombies.
    Neville is duped by a girl ( of course ) who he finds out in the daylight. Turns out she is the evolved version that can endure daylight.

~Chris
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wartiger

That first vampires should have been zombies, but I'm sure you all picked up on what I meant.
    We jus'figured you'd been hangin' with a high dollar 10/22 in the field... And it rubbed off on ya'...
  • Options
    BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the book they were vampires from the mutation. However, there were two types "real" vampires (like dracula) and the mutated ones. In the end the mutated beings won.

KC