In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

question 2 for woodsrunner's lawyers

tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
What if he goes to one of those check cashing places?
Then the check's still no good, but he's got his money. Now who's all the poopoo going to fall on?
I don't know what they charge, but it might be worth the fee!
I'm in a similar situation, just not quite as bad. I go to the company's bank and get cash. Then on to my bank. Hope they don't check the account! [;)]

Comments

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two wrongs wouldn't make a right. I wouldn't do that. I won't go hungry over this. If I did I could stand to lose a few pounds.

The honor of my name means something to me. I wouldn't do anything to intentionally damage it.

Besides if I cash them, and now there are several. I wouldn't be able to use them as evidence against him.

Personally I just want to stick a size 12 Red Wing up his butt so far he could floss with the laces.[:(!][:(!]

Woods

Hamlin.gif
  • tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, woods....now I'm with ya! I thought you had A check and maybe one or two in the past. That you just wanted to cash it.
    You're accumulating a pile of them!
    In that case, I'm going to side with the others. You better start building your court case! Good Luck!
  • beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    woodsrunner: I missed the beginning of your topic but it appears your employer is giving you bad paychecks. What you do should depend on your age, new job prospects, etc. Unless you can prove the guy knew the checks were bad I think you lose the criminal case..............and speaking of criminal case, has the attorney general or state's attorney told you they would prosecute? You can't do it yourself. However, you can sue him yourself in a civil action in small claims court. If I were single like you I'd probably look start looking for a new job and ask the prosecutor to criminally prosecute him. Otherwise, I'd take him to small claims court. I think sitting on the checks is a well-intentioned idea but not a good one, cut your losses now.

Bruce (a very pro-gun attorney)
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the payroll checks are rubber, he's most likely not paying income tax deductions. Give the IRS a call,and when they collect you get a % of the take.
  • BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Woods,
    Take the checks to his bank everyday, you used to be able to call in but with the Privacy Act in effect they shouldn't tell you anything. Even though they have been run through twice, they are still negotiable at that bank, if and when they tell you it will clear, you have them give you a Cashier's Check to replace it. You can also have your bank try and send them for collection, they will then check the balance everyday (supposedly) and if and when the check will clear, send your bank a Cashier's Check for it, less some fees, probably at both ends. This doesn't get you satisfaction, but may help get you your money.

KC