In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

2 bills to allow concealed guns in S.C. schools stun educators

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
2 bills to allow concealed guns in S.C. schools stun educatorsBy JOHN MONKNews ColumnistProposals in the General Assembly to allow people with concealed weapons permits to carry their hidden guns into schools are alarming educators across South Carolina."Parents will be outraged to learn the General Assembly would consider making it public policy to have concealed weapons in places where we believe school children are the safest," said Robert Scarborough, executive director of the S.C. Association of School Administrators.But some lawmakers say allowing qualified, armed citizens to take guns to schools -- which are now "gun-free" zones -- gives extra protection to children."Criminals should have to worry whether a citizen with a concealed weapons permit is armed and prepared to defend themselves," said Sen. Andre Bauer, a Republican who represents Newberry County and parts of Lexington County. He is a key bill sponsor and a candidate for lieutenant governor.Sen. Darrell Jackson, D-Richland, was aghast at the idea of armed citizens staging gun battles in state schools."The bills' supporters are playing on macho fantasies," Jackson said.Currently, about 35,000 South Carolinians have permits to carry hidden guns. To get permission to carry a concealed gun, citizens must take a state-approved firearms course and undergo a criminal records check.However, state law prevents licensed concealed weapons holders from carrying their hidden guns into schools.Bauer's Senate bill, and a House version by Rep. Jake Knotts, R-Lexington, would allow guns in far more places than schools. (Both Knotts and Bauer are authorized to carry concealed weapons.)Neither bill has reached the floor of its respective chamber and their prospects are mixed.The proposals would also allow qualified citizens to carry hidden guns into such places as churches, interstate rest area restrooms, college campuses and state parks.The Senate version would grant concealed weapons permit holders more freedom than the House bill.The Senate bill, for example, would allow concealed weapons permit holders to take guns into school buildings and classrooms.But the House bill would only allow citizens to have concealed guns in school parking lots and driveways, Knotts said."We don't want people walking around schoolyards with guns," Knotts said.Bauer said an armed citizen might be able to stop a criminal who is endangering children at a school.The House bill -- which has 40 supporters besides Knotts --contains other limitations on gun carriers.For example, Knotts said his House bill requires a church's leadership to give written permission before a person can carry a hidden gun in church.Knotts said he doesn't envision churches full of armed worshippers; he only wants church members to feel secure when they do things like pick up church money to deposit it in the bank."If you need to carry a weapon into church, you need to go to another church," Knotts said.Jackson, a minister, said he can't imagine church leaders wanting their members to go armed."The leaders of my church aren't asking for people to carry concealed weapons," Jackson said.In any case, Bauer said, qualified citizens ought to be able to carry concealed weapons at such places as interstate rest areas and remote campgrounds, Bauer said."These are places where citizens are susceptible to violence."Knotts and Bauer also said the state's 35,000 concealed weapons permit holders shouldn't have to worry about being arrested if they carry their guns into many public places where they are now banned from taking them."These people have demonstrated they are responsible. They are not the kind of people we have to worry about," said Bauer.Knotts said, "We don't want to make these people criminals."Jim Foster, spokesman for the S.C. Department of Education, said the state's 1,100 public schools are "gun-free zones" with "zero tolerance" for weapons."It's difficult to see how softening that position would make our schools safer," Foster said.University of South Carolina spokesman Russ McKinney said USC is against the bills."We're charged with providing safety to faculty, students and staff and having weapons on campus we aren't aware of doesn't make a whole lot of sense," McKinney said.Knotts said, "A law abiding citizen ought to be able to protect himself." http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/2630495.htm

Comments

• songdogsongdog Member Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that in most states it is illegal to posess a handgun under the age of 21 if not 18. So my theory is that if a high school is still in high school at age 21, then for as hell is the hottest place in creation, these students will not be able to pass this ccl. So that would leave it to teachers. Most teachers at the high school level, and under, do not make the money to spend it on a handgun, just kidding.songdog
    Be bold in what you stand for, careful in what you fall for.
  • redcedarsredcedars Member Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are Federal laws against possessing firearms on school property.Stupid, stupid, stupid. Given the current state of affairs, a school is a perfect terrorist target. Most now have very limited access, and NO armed security. A handful of terrorists could bottle up a school full of kids and teachers with virtually no risk to themselves. Presto, hundreds of hostages, children no less. Then what?redcedars
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I understand,the change in the law would allow CCP holders to have their firearms in the car on school property which is illegal now.Its also illegal to have a firearm in a rest area on interstate highways.
  • Rob3448Rob3448 Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well i am a teacher in PA and proud of it. I teach second graders and i think that teachers should be able to carry guns. I have a permit to carry but i can not even have the gun in my car at school. I have talked to co workers and i have found that about half of them would feel safer knowing that some of the teachers were packing heat. Of course i think training is needed but i think taecher should be able to carry if they wish.that's my 2 cents