In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What's the BEST METRIC CRUISER ???

cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Since these bike thread seem to attract so much attention, Let's hear it for the best metric cruiser....

Comments

• rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Best metric cruiser = Harley....*rimshot*

aliens.jpg
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    My 1999 Yamaha V-Max. 1200cc's of mighty V-4 power, 4 carbs with a butterfly that opens up at 6,500 RPM's to feed each cylinder from two carbs (called V-Boost), shaft drive first designed and built in 1984 by using the resources of only ONE company, Yamaha (as opposed to the Harley V-Rod needing Harley AND Porchse and millions of dollars to develop) and when it came out in 1984 it was the FASTEST bike period. But even now, 20 long years later, it is the FASTEST Cruiser in the World (read the motorcycle mags comparsion tests). The Mighty V-Max is most unusual from other bikes (all bikes) in that it cranks out a relative high torque AND horsepower. Usually a bike will be big in one or the other (Harley big on Torque, Metric Sport bikes big on horsepower). And because of this, there are few stock bikes (if any) in the world that can beat a V-Max stop-light-to-stop-light on the street. JMHO.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jap cruiser, I don't know because I don't ride cruisers, not my style, that is why a Harley is not for me. I have to agree on the V-max though, that is one bad *! But it looks like I may end up with a Busa come spring and may get to fulfill my fanstasy of two and two! 200 MPH on two wheels! All is needed is to squeeze 7 MPH more out of that mega beast and 200 is there for the taking! The V-max may be the fastest cruiser but the Busa (Suzuki GSXR1300 Hyabusa) is the absolute fastest production bike ever! And it sells for less than $11,000! I love the ad for the Busa, point it where you want to go and pull the trigger[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D] BTW, the Hyabusa is a sport/touring bike which means it is built for long rides vs the other speed demons, same catagory as the big Ninja.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Id day the Yamaha VMAX makes the best power cruiser.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    man that 'Busa is one scary bike. I cannot even imagine going 200 mph on two wheels. Maybe when I was 21, but NOT NOW.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TR, the fastest I have ever been is in the 150s, I want 200! In stock form the Busa will hit right around 193 according to a few of the bike mags, I want it I want it I want it! Folks say "where in the heck you going to ride that?", all I need is a straight stretch about 1 mile long, hti the stretch already juiced up and open her up! I love acceleration and I want to see what this rocket feels like, who knows it may scare me and I'll sell it afterwards but what they hey, as long as I get my 200!

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • Instant KarmaInstant Karma Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That honking big Honda twin,whatever the name is,has got enough torque to pull a bass boat.And torque is what you want in a cruiser.V-Max is a real muscle bike though.Saw a guy once hit some water pulling off from a light and did the neatist 360 I had seen in a while.He had to go home and change his shorts afterward.

"Instant karma gonna get you,gonna knock you right in the head,better get yourself together,pretty soon you're gonna be dead" John Lennon
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey 7mmnut, the stock 1300 is turboed, is it? I've seen a few turbo kits available for the 1300, should be able to put it over 200 quite easily, even at a low boost.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
    edited November -1
    The best non sport oriented cruiser from over seas is either a BMW or the Yamaha V-Star.
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:The best non sport oriented cruiser from over seas is either a BMW or the Yamaha V-Star.

I heard that!!! I rode an 1100 V-Star Classic over a 1000 miles last summer and sold it for $200 less than I gave for it. I put the Hard Krome "Double D's" on it myself and saved big on the labor. It was an awesome bike and I'm thinking seriously about getting another.. if you don't think they hold their value well check Ebay!!!v-stardownsize.JPG
    edited November -1
    Even the Harley fanatics have to admit that is one sweet looking cruiser with good power,comfort styling and reliability.No matter what country it hails from.
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for the V-Max. There's something to be said about a bike that's 20 years old, has barely changed at all and is STILL a respectable performer.

2nd place goes to the Suzuki vs1400 Intruder.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did 145 once, on the perimeter highway around Atlanta.
    It is a funny feeling, to pass cars that look like they are sitting still, and to realize that they are doing 70.
    Then, I got to thinking of what would happen if I hit a brick, I backed it down.
    Of course I was 21 at the time.
    This was on a Kawasaki Mach 3 500. This was the fastest production vehicle built, at that time, 1972. This was a 3 cylinder, 2 stroke. It had a separate oil tank, had oil injection.
    I still like to hear that little ping ping ping of a two stroke, and see that blue smoke.
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,363 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1984 Yamaha Virago V-1000
    Bought in 1985 / Sold in 2001 on fleabay for $400.00 less than I originally paid ,,,, It was NOT running, no battery, and gas "gummed in tank". I liked it because my feet were flat on the ground when sitting at a light.

Right%20Full%20View.jpg
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I like my 1978 Yamaha XS750. I have owned a lot of foreign bikes over the years and this one has been the best. I bought it new in 1977. I always liked the 3 cylinder bikes. I have had to put a voltage regulator on it, but other than that it has just had normal maintenance.
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    A real man rides a pink Vespa 125cc with gold trim, 8 mirrors, saddlebags, and all the lights you can put on it without a extenion cord.[:p]
    Walte
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,363 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Vespas are OUT,,, Mostly people who drive these things drive Yamahas..
    Check out this link,,, lots of field work involved in this study.

http://www.websoft2000.com/business/callirearview.htm

Hondas have a lot to offer.

chica.gif

When only the best will do.
  • ed_spred_spr Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    as the owner of a custom bike shop.....and a Harley owner. Lets NOT forget the Road Star! I have had the chance to ride a few. I do take offense that some folks buy them and other 'look a likes' but the Road Star is certainly a extremely nice cruiser. Just dfon't attempt to make it sound or look like a Harley! It is what it is, and thats all it will ever be!!