In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

20ga for turkey?

gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
Picked up a Benelli m-1 20ga in timber camo the other day along with a camo super black eagle. Question, has any of you hunted with a 20ga 3in mag for turkey or should I stick to the 12's? Im thinging about taking my nephew turkey hunting this year and was going to let him shoot the 20. My 835's and 1187's are abit big for him.

Comments

• Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    gunnut yes I have used a 20 ga rem 870 youth to take a spring gobbler 2 years ago , 24 1/2 pounds 8 1/2 inch beard, at 28 paces. I used remington's 3 inch Nitro Magnum extended range buffered magnums # 4, 1 1/4 oz code number on the box is SP20HNM-4, I also used a Remington turkey Super Full Lead shot only choke tube. this gun would keep 21 to 25 pellets in the head neck zone at 40 yards , i also had a aimpoint 5000 red dot scope on the gun which worked very nice ,, hope this helps and good luck
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply, I just happend to purchase 2 boxes of the above ammo today. Man thats weird
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    Gunnut, we have a young man in our group that used the same win 870 youth gun and load with a extended choke tube. He took a exceptional bird two years ago. Man was I proud. Our only problem was range, he only had about 25 yards of real good pattern and about 30 yards of fair pattern. His shot was about 10 yards or so, guess we didn't have a problem after all.
    Though I was born to royalty, I was snatched at birth, so treat me as the noble I am!!![This message has been edited by hunter280man (edited 03-06-2002).]