In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The Magic of Farm Life (and Growing Fruit)

SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Growing up on a small farm, I had a chance to experience a lot of different types of agriculture. We raised commercial broiler-breeders for large-scale egg production, bottle calves, hogs, had some hay/grain, grew sweet corn, strawberries, blackberries, gooseberries, raspberries, pumpkins, and mums. A "signature" of the farms in that area is the diversity of their production - which they have to do to survive.

The reason I bring it up, is because I've been thinking a lot lately about it. I know the reality of farm life - it's a lot of dirty, hard, hard, hard, hard, work for sometimes little return. I don't idealize farm-life. Consequently, I have never had any desire to raise ANY type of livestock. In fact, when I left home for the military after high-school, I said I'd never farm.

HOWEVER, the best memories I have of growing-up are of my dad and me working in the fruit - picking berries, weeding, planting, spraying, etc. Growing fruit is a lot of hard sweaty work, but I keep thinking about how much I loved it. I do remember too the long nights wondering if my dad was going to be able to save the blooms from an early spring freeze - and I remember waiting to see if a thundrestorm was going to drop hail and waste a crop. But there is something primal and immensely satisfying about pouring all of your energy into a crop, and seeing it all the way from running the dead furrough to harvesting (and enjoying) that crop. For some reason, growing fruit (as opposed to any other truck crop production) embodies the best of these things to me.

Lately, I find myself thinking about trying to make a go of it with the fruit production thing. I've been thinking long and hard about a way to work in/around my home and still support my family. We have some farmland we inherited from my grandpa - but that would mean quite a move and lifestyle change for us. My wife and I talked in the past about the possibility of starting an apple orchard - but came to the conclusion that we weren't ready to chance supporting a family on the instability of a farm income.

I've been trying to think of a way to have another off-farm income that would keep us going in the lean times - but don't know what so far. Bottom line is - I really don't have that many concrete marketable skills. I know small farming to a point (well enough to make a good start), I can write (when I take the time to do it - my degree was a BA in English / Creative Writing), I work in the mortgage industry so I can process a loan with the best of the cubicle-dwellers - but being only a couple of years out of college (took me 7 years to complete), I'm limited in job experience.

Bottom line is, we are at a place that we could do this. We could move to the farm (or sell it and buy a different one), borrow to build a house (if it didn't already have one), and borrow to put in a crop. I'd have to work at something else at least until the fruit started into full production - 2to5 years depending on the type of fruit, 3to5 with apples. But we could do it. But I have a wife, and a daugher, and another little one on the way - so it's difficult to know how to proceed and still do right by them.

I guess I really just wanted to ramble - thanks for "listening". If any of you have had similar thoughts or have any ideas - I'd welcome any input.

To whom much is given, much is expected.

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always have a large garden growing things that even I would not eat. But you always find people that want things from the garden and even act like the food is a special gift. I was once asked what I do for enjoyment since the garden is a lot of work and I had to say the garden.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dcon12: I know what you mean - my mom used to say that my dad gave away more than he sold. Not true, but it sometimes seemed like it.

• TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    Become a home inspector.
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Skywatcher,
    You seem to have a good grasp of reality. I would say that you definitely need a job with health insurance and then you could give it a go. After all you have "2" kids and a wife. Health field is real good and I can't imagine it drying up in the future. If there is a Jr college get an LPN etc.of course RN would be even better. It also depends where your land is. If it's near a large population center then you'll have a ready market of "suburban sports" who want the pick your own experience. On the other hand if it is near a population center you could probably do well selling the land and looking for an existing operation already running.
    My experience was 250 apple trees that I eventually wound up selling out. It was too much work and I had a good job. It sure gave me an appreciation of the fruit business. Good luck and keep contact with reality.
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old Hickory: Did you start your own orchard or buy an existing one? Did you go with low density plantings? That's what I'm guessing from the number of trees you had. Kind of what I'd thought was that it'd probably be good to go with mostly medium density plantings (My thought was that I could possibly go to high density trellis type planting when I had more time to manage the orchard and built more skill) but thought I might put in a few trees on a trellis system so I could have a least some fruit in production a year or two earlier. But some of those guys are getting in over 600 trees per acre on the really high-density stuff - that seems like way to much for me, and I don't want to have to replant as often as that would take.

Anyway, did have another question. "They" say a good rule of thumb is to expect at least partial frost damage and/or hail damage every 4-5 years. Did this seem to hold true for you - or was the reality worse? That is my major fear - losing an entire crop to frost. I know I can limit some of that by planting late-bearers, but man, those are the only times growing up when I really felt scared because I could feel the tension in my parents. But then, that's part of farming.

One more question - acreage wise - would ten acres in trees be too much for a beginner to handle? More? Less? I would have a lot of help from my dad - and he's very knowledgable - he just retired last year after 30+ years of teaching ag in addition to a lot of years as a fruit grower. Looks like from your profile you were a teacher too? What subject, if you don't mind my asking?

Hope there arent't too many questions here - and good to meet you by the way.

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have over 3000 acres of pecans. This is a average of 20 trees per acre. Pecans take a lot of work, as do all trees. You have to prune, fertrilze and spray. Irrigation is a must. This is a full time job but being outside makes it worthwhile.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Raised chickens when I was growing up, for eggs..You never smelled a stink, never seen a mite, never stepped in sh** until you've had 3000 chickens to keep up with. So much fun it is, shovelling out the houses..oh yeah..I loved it so much..Wading it to collect the eggs, oh man, wonderful life..believe me..I still feel like I smell like chicken manure swometimes..But guess what. As much as I hated it, as completely objectionable as it was..as much as it stinked..Nostalgically, it seems like heaven. Such a wonderful healthy outdoor life, and the life of my loving family..Unexplainable, but it was WONDERFUL!!

There are no bad guns, only bad people.